Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If you live in a HS Friendly State....

Posted by   + Show Post
I am in Idaho where no reporting is required. If you are in an "easy" state, do you still track days and field trips and such "just in case"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Replies (21-27):
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Love you Deb,  "Rebellious" just like me. lol

Quoting oredeb:

Nope I didn't track nothing or have the kids take the required tests

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

mommy2kaelynn
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:38 PM

What do you use for testing? My dd is only in Kinder buts I want to make sure she is meeting the state standards each year. We are in CA .  Do you need to buy the tests?  Sorry,  I am still really new to all o f his! Thanks!!

Quoting AllofFive19:

In Nebraska, you just have to submit a scope and sequence and tell how many hours a month you homeschool. They don't require testing, but I tested my eldest at the end of last year and will be testing both my boys this year. My daughter won't be tested until the third grade (when I start testing).

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I googled the assesments for my state and gave them the tests that were online.

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/sr/resources.asp

Quoting mommy2kaelynn:

What do you use for testing? My dd is only in Kinder buts I want to make sure she is meeting the state standards each year. We are in CA .  Do you need to buy the tests?  Sorry,  I am still really new to all o f his! Thanks!!

Quoting AllofFive19:

In Nebraska, you just have to submit a scope and sequence and tell how many hours a month you homeschool. They don't require testing, but I tested my eldest at the end of last year and will be testing both my boys this year. My daughter won't be tested until the third grade (when I start testing).

GoddessAnna
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:51 PM
I'm jealous. I don't have to keep strict records, so I don't. But I do put down hours that we generally do work in. We are unschooling to a large extent; due to some negligent parents, it's really frowned upon in my county.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I think ours is pretty homeschool friendly.   Although, they require a daily log... no one has ever come and checked it.   I kept one the first year, started keeping one the second, but stopped about a third of the way through, and now I'm keeping one again.

If they didn't require a log sheet??  No, but i'd still keep the portfolio... both for them to have and for any potential "just in case" issues.

I've never had anyone report us, but a friend of mine was reported by her eldest son's previous public school.    

Another acquaintance had 8 kids and they were reported a few times.... however, in their case, I actually agreed there needed to be some intervention.   Makes me think that we need SOME type of checks and balances... but without the school or state being able to control or hinder homeschoolers.  However, that's all another topic... LOL!

RoyalT26
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Quoting BridgetV:

I'm in NJ, another no reporting state, and I keep a record of days and what we've done.  I like that sort of stuff, though and it makes me happy to be able to go back and look at what he's learned.  :)

Hey I'm in NJ too!! I just started this year ....my DS is in 3rd grade and my Dd is in K...where abouts NJ are you? add me :}  I use the curriculum from k 12, all of the record keeping/attendance in recorded online

BridgetV
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Quoting RoyalT26:

Quoting BridgetV:

I'm in NJ, another no reporting state, and I keep a record of days and what we've done.  I like that sort of stuff, though and it makes me happy to be able to go back and look at what he's learned.  :)

Hey I'm in NJ too!! I just started this year ....my DS is in 3rd grade and my Dd is in K...where abouts NJ are you? add me :}  I use the curriculum from k 12, all of the record keeping/attendance in recorded online

We're in Middlesex County.  Just started this year as well.  My DS is in Kindergarten too :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)