Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hiring a tutor

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM
  • 10 Replies
Okay so I plan to continue my daughters homeschooling. I have a lot on my plate at the moment. I now know my mother is unable to handle the schooling of my daughter and that is fine. However I will be going back into the school field myself. Just for 27 weeks for cosmetology. I want to hire a babysitter/tutor. However I am not sure how I would go about doing this and all the questions I need to ask. I also have a few health issues that I will be dealing with as well during this time. I will still be very much a part of her schooling but I will not be able to teach her daily as I would like. Please any advice you have will help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM

First, make sure that doing so is allowed as per your state law. Here (in SC), the parent has to teach at least 51% of all core classes (defined as math, language arts, social studies, and science); you cannot hire someone to teach (or outsource to anyone - even grandparents) more than 49% of the core classes.

After that, I suppose you could look for a retired teacher. Just be aware that the price for someone else to homeschool your child full time, assuming you're allowed to do so in your state, could be very pricey - much like hiring a private teacher full time.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my "place" is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home and I *love* my life! (just getting the controversial stuff out of the way!)             Aimee

taylamill
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:15 PM
In my state as long as I am over seeing that she is learning is on point it's fine. Arkansas is very relaxed on their homeschool laws and for that I'm thankful. I would still go over her subject matters with her just need someone to teach them.

Ill speak to a few people I know that are retired from teaching. I know one lady who missed it dearly.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

First, make sure that doing so is allowed as per your state law. Here (in SC), the parent has to teach at least 51% of all core classes (defined as math, language arts, social studies, and science); you cannot hire someone to teach (or outsource to anyone - even grandparents) more than 49% of the core classes.

After that, I suppose you could look for a retired teacher. Just be aware that the price for someone else to homeschool your child full time, assuming you're allowed to do so in your state, could be very pricey - much like hiring a private teacher full time.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:16 PM

You could also see if you have an education major at a local college who would want to do it - may be cheaper than a retired teacher.

Quoting taylamill:

In my state as long as I am over seeing that she is learning is on point it's fine. Arkansas is very relaxed on their homeschool laws and for that I'm thankful. I would still go over her subject matters with her just need someone to teach them.

Ill speak to a few people I know that are retired from teaching. I know one lady who missed it dearly.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my "place" is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home and I *love* my life! (just getting the controversial stuff out of the way!)             Aimee

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Good idea AutymsMommy!

@ taylamill ~ Looking into teachers who are waiting to get hired, or a teacher's aid, a college teacher who is looking to supplement their income. You may even try someone at your local library who has a passion for education and or teaching. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You could also see if you have an education major at a local college who would want to do it - may be cheaper than a retired teacher.

Quoting taylamill:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

undefined

taylamill
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this
You moms are amazing
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I agree with checking out what your state laws are.

For the tutor, maybe finding a homeschooled high schooler could save you some cash?

taylamill
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:33 PM
I know there are some students at our college that can get credits for tutoring or helping out other school age kids. They can't charge what so ever for it because if found out they lose the credit. My seventh grade teacher who I have kept in contact with says she will get ahold of the right people there and help me do the interview process

Quoting kirbymom:

Good idea AutymsMommy!

@ taylamill ~ Looking into teachers who are waiting to get hired, or a teacher's aid, a college teacher who is looking to supplement their income. You may even try someone at your local library who has a passion for education and or teaching. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting taylamill:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM

That's great! I hope that works out for you.  I thought that I had heard about college students being able to do that and getting clooege credits instead of being paid but I wasn't too sure so that wasn't one of my suggestions. I am glad to know that I was thinking in the right direction though. :)   Do you know if you are going with a female or a male? Or would that even make a difference?   Are you looking for someone with experience? Sorry. Its not really my buisness. Just curious as to how something like this happens. I've thought about doing it myself but just could never bring myself to actually relinquishing to someone else. :)  

Quoting taylamill:

I know there are some students at our college that can get credits for tutoring or helping out other school age kids. They can't charge what so ever for it because if found out they lose the credit. My seventh grade teacher who I have kept in contact with says she will get ahold of the right people there and help me do the interview process

Quoting kirbymom:

Good idea AutymsMommy!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting taylamill:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

taylamill
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:26 PM
More than likely I will go with female. I want someone that won't mind taking their time with teaching and can handle being one on one with dd and understand that she is not gonna be a happy camper at first. After what happened with how her first grade teacher treated her is very gun shy around "teachers"

Quoting kirbymom:

That's great! I hope that works out for you.  I thought that I had heard about college students being able to do that and getting clooege credits instead of being paid but I wasn't too sure so that wasn't one of my suggestions. I am glad to know that I was thinking in the right direction though. :)   Do you know if you are going with a female or a male? Or would that even make a difference?   Are you looking for someone with experience? Sorry. Its not really my buisness. Just curious as to how something like this happens. I've thought about doing it myself but just could never bring myself to actually relinquishing to someone else. :)  

Quoting taylamill:

Quoting kirbymom:

Good idea AutymsMommy!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting taylamill:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Very understandable!  I am gun shy just being around people. :)  

Quoting taylamill:

More than likely I will go with female. I want someone that won't mind taking their time with teaching and can handle being one on one with dd and understand that she is not gonna be a happy camper at first. After what happened with how her first grade teacher treated her is very gun shy around "teachers"

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting taylamill:

Quoting kirbymom:

Good idea AutymsMommy!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting taylamill:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)