Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

With the holidays coming up, are you kids going to be spending them getting grilled on their lessons by relatives?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM
  • 28 Replies

Do you have to put up with that a lot?

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, sort of. The things is, after just one sentence out of any one of my kids' mouth, everyone knows how educated they are. lol  I have them doing vocab words every day so when they are out with their friends, they are always inadvertantly using one that they have been learning for awhile. Their friends are constantly asking "...what does that word mean? " Even some of our relatives have to just give up trying to give them the third degree. :)  

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:30 PM
2 moms liked this

No... Thankfully my family knows that children are not performing monkeys.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I'm not entirely sure how Christmas will go on hubby's side since we're actually doing Christma with the whole family intead of just his parents...I'm sure hubby's grandparents and a few aunts/ uncles won't...but I don't know about the ones we don't see often... On my side, it is typical to be grilled even if you're in public/private school. I still get grilled whenever any of them find out that I'm back at school.  If we see my dad's aunts again, I'm sure they'll ask her a few questions (again normal no matter what since they used to be teachers) but they've already "assessed" her and are amazed at how well she's doing. The rest of my dad's family is no longer alloud to say a thing about us homeschool since we have their "seal of apporval" lol.

coala
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:43 PM

No!!  My family understands why we have made the decisions that we made.  They have also spent time with my girls knowing that they are well socialized and very well educated.   They also know that my 4 yo reads better than most 1st graders.  So, it will be a normal day with my family like it is any other time we get together.

BTW my unsocialized kids have been invited a b-day party by a PS kid.  LOL

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Nope, we have no planes of seeing extended family s no worry about that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tesserae
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I doubt it. Relatives just ask how how they are doing in general and if they are enjoying school. I haven't been grilled or picked on at all.

AmyG1976
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:03 PM

never have had to I dont see why someone would grill my kid as opposed to someones in public or private school. DH has several teachers in his family ( at the school dist we wont send ours too) they dont and never would in fact the ones with kids are at this point planning on homeschooling unless somethings change. My sisters both use public schools one was homeschooled soo ya they know about it :) as do my parents.

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM
I find that my family grills me and not the girls!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Lol , no way! My family used to do it, but my kids are just as sarcastic as I and came up with creative enough replies that they all gave up.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:37 PM
3 moms liked this
No, my inlaws are pretty aware that my kids are... Um... More advanced than the other grandchildren.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN