Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I love to read!   In fact, I try and read everything I can. I read all kinds of books from love and romance to western to historical romance to real life to theology and even Bible history.  My husband is even more of an avid reader than I am. We even have managed to pass down to a few of our kids our passion for reading. 

Now, my question to you ladies is....

Do you like to read and what genre's hold your interest?  Do you have an interest in just one genre or do you love reading everything like I do?  :) 

undefined

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Ones about my town include Killer View, Killer Weekend, In Harms Way and Killer Summer. He slso co-authors Peter and The Stargazers, a young adult series, with Dave Barry. He is also a neighbor :-)

Quoting kirbymom:

I know some of these authors.  

Quoting BramblePatch:

My favorite authors are:

Stuart Woods

Jon Kellerman

Vince Flynn

John Grisham

Dan Brown

Nelson DeMille

James Patterson

Nora Roberts

Danielle Steele

I also HIGHLY RECOMMEND books by NY Times Best Seller Ridley Pearson. He is a local and many of his books are true fiction about my town and friends!!!!

How well known is this guy? He sounds familiar.  What are some of his books?  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't like anything fabio style.  Those are, what you call cheesy, to me. I like substance. They can't resemble anything like empty calories, if you know what I mean. 

Quoting KickButtMama:

I don't like cheesy romance novels, like those with Fabiola covers. But I do like ones that have a strong storyline where the romance is just a piece of the story.

Quoting almondpigeon:

I will read anything except romance novels.  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Has he hit amazon yet or smashwords? They sound very interesting.  I may be old but I still like to read some of the young readers styles of today. I think they have some really great plots. :)  

Quoting BramblePatch:

Ones about my town include Killer View, Killer Weekend, In Harms Way and Killer Summer. He slso co-authors Peter and The Stargazers, a young adult series, with Dave Barry. He is also a neighbor :-)

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting BramblePatch:

My favorite authors are:

Stuart Woods

Jon Kellerman

Vince Flynn

John Grisham

Dan Brown

Nelson DeMille

James Patterson

Nora Roberts

Danielle Steele

I also HIGHLY RECOMMEND books by NY Times Best Seller Ridley Pearson. He is a local and many of his books are true fiction about my town and friends!!!!

almondpigeon
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Honestly, I don't know.  My mother never censored my reading material & I started reading her novels when I was like 8 years old (VC Andrews is who I specifically remember).  When I think romance, I think of authors like Nora Roberts or Danielle Steele...just not interested.  I read my first Stephen King novel when I was in the 6th grade....discovered Anne Rice in the 9th grade.  All my friends in college were huge literary snobs, so I guess there is a part of me that's almost embarrassed to read romance.  I do have a few historical romances that I enjoy...though I "hide" those books in the basement book case, lol

Quoting kirbymom:

Really? What do you not like about romance? If I may ask, that is?  

Quoting almondpigeon:

almondpigeon
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you read a Discovery of Witches?  I guess that could be considered romance & I love that series!

Quoting kirbymom:

I don't like anything fabio style.  Those are, what you call cheesy, to me. I like substance. They can't resemble anything like empty calories, if you know what I mean. 

Quoting KickButtMama:

I don't like cheesy romance novels, like those with Fabiola covers. But I do like ones that have a strong storyline where the romance is just a piece of the story.

Quoting almondpigeon:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I love historical romances.  I wouldn't say that I "hide" my romance books but they are not on the front line either. lol 

Quoting almondpigeon:

Honestly, I don't know.  My mother never censored my reading material & I started reading her novels when I was like 8 years old (VC Andrews is who I specifically remember).  When I think romance, I think of authors like Nora Roberts or Danielle Steele...just not interested.  I read my first Stephen King novel when I was in the 6th grade....discovered Anne Rice in the 9th grade.  All my friends in college were huge literary snobs, so I guess there is a part of me that's almost embarrassed to read romance.  I do have a few historical romances that I enjoy...though I "hide" those books in the basement book case, lol

Quoting kirbymom:

Really? What do you not like about romance? If I may ask, that is?  

Quoting almondpigeon:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:32 PM

No I haven't but I will keep a look out for it. Thanks for pointing it out too.  :) 

Quoting almondpigeon:

Have you read a Discovery of Witches?  I guess that could be considered romance & I love that series!

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting almondpigeon:

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:33 PM
His books are all over. I know one or two is a NY Times best seller. I just realized that I meant Peter and the Starcatchers, lol....not gazers. He is on Amazon and Good Reads and all that. The Walt Fleming series is the one here....the real Walt Fleming is our former Sheriff, Walt Femling...a real piece of work, lol.

Quoting kirbymom:

Has he hit amazon yet or smashwords? They sound very interesting.  I may be old but I still like to read some of the young readers styles of today. I think they have some really great plots. :)  

Quoting BramblePatch:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting BramblePatch:

My favorite authors are:

Stuart Woods

Jon Kellerman

Vince Flynn

John Grisham

Dan Brown

Nelson DeMille

James Patterson

Nora Roberts

Danielle Steele

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I shall look for him the very next time I am on amazon.  I shall also keep a look out for Walt Fleming too.  Who else is on your list? It seems we may have an interest or 2 in our reading materials. :)  

Quoting BramblePatch:

His books are all over. I know one or two is a NY Times best seller. I just realized that I meant Peter and the Starcatchers, lol....not gazers. He is on Amazon and Good Reads and all that. The Walt Fleming series is the one here....the real Walt Fleming is our former Sheriff, Walt Femling...a real piece of work, lol.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting BramblePatch:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting BramblePatch:

My favorite authors are:

Stuart Woods

Jon Kellerman

Vince Flynn

John Grisham

Dan Brown

Nelson DeMille

James Patterson

Nora Roberts

Danielle Steele

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I LOVE to read!  I'm not sure really what I like...just something exciting that will hold my attention.  Otherwise I get bored and end up doing something else.  I'm actually on the look-out for something new to read once I finish my semester of schooling in a couple weeks.  I have to be honest and say I got in a little too deep with Hunger Games and have been looking for something as exciting as those series without feeling like I'm invading the teenage world lol.  I don't really follow a certain author though I do love a good James Patterson book.  I loved Water for Elephants, Sarah's Key, East of Eden, A Land Remembered, Edgar Sawtelle.   Is anyone on www.goodreads.com?  It's a fun place to keep track of your books that you've read, want to read, read up on what others say about the books, follow books that friends are reading, etc. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)