Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I love to read!   In fact, I try and read everything I can. I read all kinds of books from love and romance to western to historical romance to real life to theology and even Bible history.  My husband is even more of an avid reader than I am. We even have managed to pass down to a few of our kids our passion for reading. 

Now, my question to you ladies is....

Do you like to read and what genre's hold your interest?  Do you have an interest in just one genre or do you love reading everything like I do?  :) 

undefined

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:59 PM
Replies (21-30):
SusanTheWriter
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a HUGE reader. I generally get through 3-5 books a week although I'm currently going through a bit of a dry spell. Too much else going on and I've been on the same two books for a week now. Especially in November during NaNoWriMo, if I have time to read, I should be writing instead.

Fwiw, I'm published in romance under a pen name. No, you've probably never heard of me. *gg* I'm pubished primarily in digital format and my two print anthologies are old enough that they're not on the shelves anymore.

I love reading all kinds of romance, but I typically stick with paranormal (what I write) or historical. My favorite part of romance is definitely the relationship. Not that I don't love a big, splashy action plot, but the characters have to resonate strongly for me to put something on my keeper shelf.

I also read SFF - mostly urban fantasy, Steampunk and some cyberpunk, some straight SciFi - and mystery as my next go-to genres. I read some YA, but it tends to be Steampunk or some variation.

The very occasional literary fiction story will find its way into my hands. But I read fiction to enjoy myself, not to be depressed. Since most lit-fic doesn't resolve in an emotionally satisfying way for me, I usually don't bother. I enjoy the Magical Realist style, so I'm a fan of Isabel Allende and Jorge Luis Borges. I guess the more surreal you get, the more leeway I'm willing to give.

My rare non-fiction reads tend to be about mythology or folklore.

I also read a few graphic novel series. Why yes, I am a huge nerd.

My DD is another huge reader. Her shelves groan with YA, urban fantasy, Steampunk and Stephen Hawking. DS reads less enthusiastically, but steadily. He made his way through most of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and is currently working through the latest Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson and spinoffs) novel. DH is an article reader. He'll read magazines and blog posts and bits and pieces of news, but very rarely does he read fiction.

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM
You should also try smashwords.com. They are similar to what you described about goodreads. They also let you publish with them. They have 2 things I like, cheap and free. lol

Quoting rsrangel:

I LOVE to read!  I'm not sure really what I like...just something exciting that will hold my attention.  Otherwise I get bored and end up doing something else.  I'm actually on the look-out for something new to read once I finish my semester of schooling in a couple weeks.  I have to be honest and say I got in a little too deep with Hunger Games and have been looking for something as exciting as those series without feeling like I'm invading the teenage world lol.  I don't really follow a certain author though I do love a good James Patterson book.  I loved Water for Elephants, Sarah's Key, East of Eden, A Land Remembered, Edgar Sawtelle.   Is anyone on www.goodreads.com?  It's a fun place to keep track of your books that you've read, want to read, read up on what others say about the books, follow books that friends are reading, etc. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:27 PM
Money secrets of the amish, living simply with children, rhythm of the home, and I am getting ready to borrow simplicity parenting from a friend.
Rhythm of the home (i think I have that right) was an easy, fun read. Miney secrets of the amish was also an easy read and pretty eye opening how common sense it was, yet we dont generally do some of the things they do. Pretty inspiring actually.

Quoting kirbymom:

What are you reading on simple living?  If I may ask?  I try to live simple but it is so difficult to do.  lol  

Quoting Boobah:

I love to read also, a little of everything. Right now I'm into reading about simple living amd Waldorf principles.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Wow! I love the direction you are in. And what's really amazing is I actually understood what you said! LOL :) I bet you could get pubkished on smashwords. They have alot of what you said you are into. I would be very interested in knowing what you you published. Very interested indeed. :)

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I'm a HUGE reader. I generally get through 3-5 books a week although I'm currently going through a bit of a dry spell. Too much else going on and I've been on the same two books for a week now. Especially in November during NaNoWriMo, if I have time to read, I should be writing instead.

Fwiw, I'm published in romance under a pen name. No, you've probably never heard of me. *gg* I'm pubished primarily in digital format and my two print anthologies are old enough that they're not on the shelves anymore.

I love reading all kinds of romance, but I typically stick with paranormal (what I write) or historical. My favorite part of romance is definitely the relationship. Not that I don't love a big, splashy action plot, but the characters have to resonate strongly for me to put something on my keeper shelf.

I also read SFF - mostly urban fantasy, Steampunk and some cyberpunk, some straight SciFi - and mystery as my next go-to genres. I read some YA, but it tends to be Steampunk or some variation.

The very occasional literary fiction story will find its way into my hands. But I read fiction to enjoy myself, not to be depressed. Since most lit-fic doesn't resolve in an emotionally satisfying way for me, I usually don't bother. I enjoy the Magical Realist style, so I'm a fan of Isabel Allende and Jorge Luis Borges. I guess the more surreal you get, the more leeway I'm willing to give.

My DD is another huge reader. Her shelves groan with YA, urban fantasy, Steampunk and Stephen Hawking. DS reads less enthusiastically, but steadily. He made his way through most of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and is currently working through the latest Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson and spinoffs) novel. DH is an article reader. He'll read magazines and blog posts and bits and pieces of news, but very rarely does he read fiction.

Maridel
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I love reading! I tend to read books that have been made into movies though, cause I like to see it on screen once i'm done reading it. ( dont know why, all i do is whine about how the changed the book, but im a sucker for it anyways, lol) But once I like a book, I'll usually read other books by the same author, like Nicholas Sparks. And I like to read books with sequels, like Twilight and the Hunger Games. I try to keep it clean though, I don't like romance novels with too much bedroom details. I'm currently looking for something new to read. There were some previews at the Breaking Dawn premier the other night that were based on books so I might look for one of those like the Mortal Instruments.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:37 PM
Are they on amaon or another ereader site?
Common sense really isn't all that common. At least not lately. lol

Quoting Boobah:

Money secrets of the amish, living simply with children, rhythm of the home, and I am getting ready to borrow simplicity parenting from a friend.

Rhythm of the home (i think I have that right) was an easy, fun read. Miney secrets of the amish was also an easy read and pretty eye opening how common sense it was, yet we dont generally do some of the things they do. Pretty inspiring actually.

Quoting kirbymom:

What are you reading on simple living?  If I may ask?  I try to live simple but it is so difficult to do.  lol  

Quoting Boobah:

I love to read also, a little of everything. Right now I'm into reading about simple living amd Waldorf principles.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM
You sound like. haha :) I do the same thing.
Do you have a favorite place on the internet that you like to look, to get your reading material from?

Quoting Maridel:

I love reading! I tend to read books that have been made into movies though, cause I like to see it on screen once i'm done reading it. ( dont know why, all i do is whine about how the changed the book, but im a sucker for it anyways, lol) But once I like a book, I'll usually read other books by the same author, like Nicholas Sparks. And I like to read books with sequels, like Twilight and the Hunger Games. I try to keep it clean though, I don't like romance novels with too much bedroom details. I'm currently looking for something new to read. There were some previews at the Breaking Dawn premier the other night that were based on books so I might look for one of those like the Mortal Instruments.

Maridel
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Nope, I generally go by stuff friends have recommended.

Quoting kirbymom:

Do you have a favorite place on the internet that you like to look, to get your reading material from?

Quoting Maridel:

SusanTheWriter
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:46 PM

:) Thank you!

I submit novellas and longer works directly to my editor, but I do have one or two short stories that I may self-publish next year. I'm putting a plan together and Smashwords is definitely one of several platforms I'll use for uploading.

Quoting kirbymom:

Wow! I love the direction you are in. And what's really amazing is I actually understood what you said! LOL :) I bet you could get pubkished on smashwords. They have alot of what you said you are into. I would be very interested in knowing what you you published. Very interested indeed. :)

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:47 PM
Do you have a certain genre you like to read above all others?

Quoting Maridel:

Nope, I generally go by stuff friends have recommended.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Maridel:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN