Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Social Studies : Archaeology Lesson

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:29 PM
  • 9 Replies

Basic Archaeology: What's a Dig?

One of the main things archaeologists do in their line of work is the dig. This is a project designed to find out more about a specific area and what it was like many, many years ago. Archaeologists might be looking for animal skeletons or plant remains. They might be looking for weather patterns or fire damage.

Whatever they're looking for, it usually involves digging. Why? Well, first of all, the wind is constantly blowing fresh dirt and trash all over the world. This airborne debris lands on the ground in tiny layers. After years of these tiny layers building up, what was once on the surface is buried underground. It's not that the ground has really sunk; it's more that more layers have been added on top.

So, archaeologists use their pickaxes and their drills and their brushes to find and piece together clues to what happened in an area's past. And the more they find, the more they understand.

For instance, by discovering seeds, archaeologists can also discover what kinds of crops the people who lived there grew or, if people didn't live there at all, what kind of wild plants or fruits or vegetables grew there.

Also, a dig might turn up fragments of clothing or shoes, giving archaeologists clues to what kind of clothing the people who lived there wore.

The basic idea behind the dig is to discover the past.

undefined

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Archaeology: Tools of the Trade

Archaeologists use many tools to do their work. Some are common, like whisks and dustpans. Others are uncommon, like the transit, which is a specific kind of telescope. Click on the pictures below to explore the tools that archaeologists use in their work.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Awesome! We went to a local dig this summer. There was one in our town investigating a recently discovered colonial neighborhood. Somehow they were using the information to investigate the importance of women in colonial society.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:35 PM

That sounds interesting. Have they published what their findings were, yet?  

Quoting KickButtMama:

Awesome! We went to a local dig this summer. There was one in our town investigating a recently discovered colonial neighborhood. Somehow they were using the information to investigate the importance of women in colonial society.

oredeb
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Fantastic!!!!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Harpers Ferry has one of their buildings dug up and talks about the archeology of the site. My daughter lvoes it. It explains how it was rennovated from being multiple buildings, and you can tell this by the original foundation, and that at one point a road went through. From the outside, it looks like a normal building, but inside it's all dug up with info boards everywhere to help visitors see what an archeologist sees. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I haven't heard its been published as yet. I believe more excavating will happen next year when it warms up. This village that was discovered is thought to have been primarily African-American, and there is evidence that this area was heavy in the the temperance movement, the Underground Railroad  and abolitionism. It was interesting to see the process. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Awesome! We went to a local dig this summer. There was one in our town investigating a recently discovered colonial neighborhood. Somehow they were using the information to investigate the importance of women in the society.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:03 PM

That is so interesting!  I would love to see this myself. To see history being unveiled right in front of us is so awesome to me.  

Quoting KickButtMama:

I haven't heard its been published as yet. I believe more excavating will happen next year when it warms up. This village that was discovered is thought to have been primarily African-American, and there is evidence that this area was heavy in the the temperance movement, the Underground Railroad  and abolitionism. It was interesting to see the process. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Awesome! We went to a local dig this summer. There was one in our town investigating a recently discovered colonial neighborhood. Somehow they were using the information to investigate the importance of women in the society.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh how I would love to see that myself!  Stuff like this is how I would put to use my vacation time. lol  

Quoting No_Difference:

Harpers Ferry has one of their buildings dug up and talks about the archeology of the site. My daughter lvoes it. It explains how it was rennovated from being multiple buildings, and you can tell this by the original foundation, and that at one point a road went through. From the outside, it looks like a normal building, but inside it's all dug up with info boards everywhere to help visitors see what an archeologist sees. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Thanks for posting. 8)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)