Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Costs associated with 5th grade

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:08 PM
  • 10 Replies

Still looking into free online school but not having any luck. :/ So I am wondering how much a (secular) curriculum for 5th grade should cost. We are just doing a "trial run" this week. If we decide to homeschool as of next week, I will be ordering a curriculum.

She loves to do lapbooks, and be creative, but I think she needs a curriculum to get and stay on track in case she goes to public school next year.

Also any advice, help, etc on 5th grade would be super helpful. Thank you.

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

As far as full curricula goes, unfortunately secular tends to be a bit pricey (and if you are wanting a school-ish program so she stays on track, generally you may want a boxed curricula). Is she steadily on grade level for fifth grade across the board (in every subject)?

Secular full curricula:

Oak Meadow (very hands on, very thorough in the later grades, although the lower grades are pretty... slow, lol) - if you purchase the full curriculum (english/history, math, and science, the kit comes with all necessary art supplies too!), it will run a bit over $300 I think... a very good price in terms of full secular curricula. The math is a bit weak - I would suggest, if you like Oak Meadow, you use their other materials, but use Saxon or Calvert for math.

Calvert (will cost over $1,000)

If you're willing to piece things together a bit:

Math (scripted and easy to teach):

Saxon 6/5

Calvert Math (the full program, you can buy separately from Calvert or often find for a much better price on ebay)

History:

A History of US by Joy Hakim (American history - a series of 11 books that come with study guides for each)

K12's Human Odyssey volume 1 (world history - look on ebay - only an option for a fifth grader if said fifth grader is a very strong reader)

Story of the World (there are some religious references in this book; the author is Christian, but I know many secular users who use this happily - this is world history, three volumes, and DO buy the activity guides with it)

Oak Meadow history (their fifth grade history is American History; their 6th grade history is ancient world history - this is secular and very hands on)

English:

Hake Grammar and Writing 5 (same publishers as Saxon; completely secular and my favorite program hands down for english; includes vocabulary, grammar, and writing)

Science:

This is going to be more difficult. If you are wanting to stay on par with the local public schools, they are still doing integrated science at this stage; most science made for homeschoolers is either Christian OR focuses on one particular field of science, unless you go with a standard public school text (which is difficult to implement at home because you do not have access to a full lab like the schools do). If you are willing to go with one field area, I will recommend Mr. Q's Life Science - it's free (his other books cost, but he offers this full year program for free; it is in PDF form). Integrated full program, I would recommend Galore Park's "So You Really Want to Learn Science book 1", you can supplement with labs from TOPS Learning Systems manuals (very homeschool friendly and uses low cost materials).

Art and Art History

Calvert's "A Child's History of Art" - they have a book on sculpture, painting, and architecture, each lasting a full year. Definitely purchase this from Calvert directly - then you will get the three books in each set that make this a great program (the student textbook, the lesson manual, and the art card portfolio).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my "place" is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home and I *love* my life! (just getting the controversial stuff out of the way!)             Aimee

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi  randomosity. :)  

I have a link to a website that might be what you are looking for. Let me know if its not and I will look again.  :)  

http://www.freelyeducate.com/2011/02/free-curriculum-for-prek-5th-grade-students-5th-just-added.html

undefined

randomosityblog
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM

She's actually really far behind IMO.. I need to have her do an assessment of some sort before ordering. $300-$400 I can do. $1000+ I cannot lol.

Thank you for all of your help. I will research this more tomorrow.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

As far as full curricula goes, unfortunately secular tends to be a bit pricey (and if you are wanting a school-ish program so she stays on track, generally you may want a boxed curricula). Is she steadily on grade level for fifth grade across the board (in every subject)?

Secular full curricula:

Oak Meadow (very hands on, very thorough in the later grades, although the lower grades are pretty... slow, lol) - if you purchase the full curriculum (english/history, math, and science, the kit comes with all necessary art supplies too!), it will run a bit over $300 I think... a very good price in terms of full secular curricula. The math is a bit weak - I would suggest, if you like Oak Meadow, you use their other materials, but use Saxon or Calvert for math.

Saxon 6/5

Calvert Math (the full program, you can buy separately from Calvert or often find for a much better price on ebay)

History:

A History of US by Joy Hakim (American history - a series of 11 books that come with study guides for each)

K12's Human Odyssey volume 1 (world history - look on ebay - only an option for a fifth grader if said fifth grader is a very strong reader)

Story of the World (there are some religious references in this book; the author is Christian, but I know many secular users who use this happily - this is world history, three volumes, and DO buy the activity guides with it)

Oak Meadow history (their fifth grade history is American History; their 6th grade history is ancient world history - this is secular and very hands on)

English:

Hake Grammar and Writing 5 (same publishers as Saxon; completely secular and my favorite program hands down for english; includes vocabulary, grammar, and writing)

Science:

This is going to be more difficult. If you are wanting to stay on par with the local public schools, they are still doing integrated science at this stage; most science made for homeschoolers is either Christian OR focuses on one particular field of science, unless you go with a standard public school text (which is difficult to implement at home because you do not have access to a full lab like the schools do). If you are willing to go with one field area, I will recommend Mr. Q's Life Science - it's free (his other books cost, but he offers this full year program for free; it is in PDF form). Integrated full program, I would recommend Galore Park's "So You Really Want to Learn Science book 1", you can supplement with labs from TOPS Learning Systems manuals (very homeschool friendly and uses low cost materials).

Art and Art History

Calvert's "A Child's History of Art" - they have a book on sculpture, painting, and architecture, each lasting a full year. Definitely purchase this from Calvert directly - then you will get the three books in each set that make this a great program (the student textbook, the lesson manual, and the art card portfolio).

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:39 PM
I was wondering if you would switch to hs. Poor girl has been through too much this year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Most of the individual curricula I listed (the maths and the Hake grammar, for example) have placement tests available. You could do a lot more for your money if you piece it together yourself. I think she would REALLY enjoy the Oak Meadow, it fits your top line budget, it's totally secular, and if she's behind in math then the slower pace of their math might be a good thing - it is SO hands on and interesting for most children. The OM site has a ton of samples you could look at.

Quoting randomosityblog:

She's actually really far behind IMO.. I need to have her do an assessment of some sort before ordering. $300-$400 I can do. $1000+ I cannot lol.

Thank you for all of your help. I will research this more tomorrow.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Secular full curricula:

Saxon 6/5

History:

English:

Science:

Art and Art History

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my "place" is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home and I *love* my life! (just getting the controversial stuff out of the way!)             Aimee

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Due to our tight finances I make my own curricula based on Scope & Sequences freely available online.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Have you checked out something like www.headoftheclass.com ? It's free.

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:55 PM

http://www.theheadoftheclass.com/ 

Quoting KickButtMama:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Here is another link to a website where their curriculum is free and they have a math game as well. 

http://www.jumpstart.com/teachers/curriculum/grade-based/5th-grade-curriculum

Also the is a math game that I have that my kids love to play. Its called Big Brainz Math Games.  Here is the link if you want to check it out.  

http://www.bigbrainz.com/Cool-Math-Games.php

I also have a game called Fairy GodMother Tycoon. It helps you learn how to set up a buisness and run it. You can level up your skills along the way. All of my kids love this game.   Here is the link...

http://fairy-godmother-tycoon.en.softonic.com/

Hopefully you can find something that is helpful but if not, then don't worry about it.  :)  

undefined

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Oops, I ALWAYS do that! Lol, thanks!

Quoting AllofFive19:

http://www.theheadoftheclass.com/ 

Quoting KickButtMama:

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)