Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

brainpop

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:52 PM
  • 11 Replies

Does anyone know what the difference is in subscribing as a homeschool or for use at home; aside from price. I'ts more expensive to subscribe as a homeschool. Does anyone know why? If you subscribe for use at home do you get the same educational stuff? Just wondering.

by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

There are some more videos available w/ the subscription. But we've don't the free videos (at least 2 per day!) for the last year. My kids love it, but I don't see the point in spending so much when the free stuff is just as awesome.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Well there are different ways to subscribe to the site; as a homeschooler, for use at home, educator, and I think school. I am wondering the difference between subscribing as a homeschooler and for use at home. My children really like this site and they love the videos so I am considering paying the money for it. It's 85 dollars a year if you subscribe under the "for use at home" option and like 105 if you subscribe as a homeschooler. So I was wondering what's teh diff.

Quoting KickButtMama:

There are some more videos available w/ the subscription. But we've don't the free videos (at least 2 per day!) for the last year. My kids love it, but I don't see the point in spending so much when the free stuff is just as awesome.

lifesadream83
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:33 PM

We currently have BrainPop and BrianPop Jr.  I am not sure where you are getting the idea that it costs more as a homeschool though.  If you get a homeschool single login/a home login it's $85 if you get the homeschool multi-user access it is $145 but that is so that up to three kids can login on different computers at the same time.  I have one child so I only have one login.  If you stagger the videos you only need one login.  Thus $85.  If you get the combined Jr. & Regular its $175 Total.  I can tell you last year we used brainpopJr. all the time.  Now we use it sometimes. The regular Brain Pop is awesome but over her head now (she is 8).  So for the next 2 years 4th and 5th grade we will not use it.  I think Jr. is great and spot on for k-3/4 and regular is great for advanced 5 but mainly 6-12th grade.  The only reason I won't use Jr. Next year is because the amount of videos we will use won't be worth the price, we have done most of them.  

The Jr. version has a 3 books that correspond to each video that you can get from the library, a joke, an activity you can print off, a puzzle or game they do on the computer, a write about it prompt and a draw about it prompt, each one also has a note taker you can print off so they can look for one answer each time they watch the video as well as a hard quiz and an easy quiz that you can either print or have them take online and print the results.  My dd loves it and requests to watch them just for fun!  

https://secure.brainpop.com/store/step2/?group_id=19

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:42 PM

OK- I am thinking that family access allows more than one comptuer tho and it also allows a payment plan of 8 dollars a month. I am mroe interested in curriculum. If I do family than do they still get to use all the stuff that they would if it were homeschool subscribtion that I purchased? Maybe I am overthinking this?

Quoting lifesadream83:

We currently have BrainPop and BrianPop Jr.  I am not sure where you are getting the idea that it costs more as a homeschool though.  If you get a homeschool single login/a home login it's $85 if you get the homeschool multi-user access it is $145 but that is so that up to three kids can login on different computers at the same time.  I have one child so I only have one login.  If you stagger the videos you only need one login.  Thus $85.  If you get the combined Jr. & Regular its $175 Total.  I can tell you last year we used brainpopJr. all the time.  Now we use it sometimes. The regular Brain Pop is awesome but over her head now (she is 8).  So for the next 2 years 4th and 5th grade we will not use it.  I think Jr. is great and spot on for k-3/4 and regular is great for advanced 5 but mainly 6-12th grade.  The only reason I won't use Jr. Next year is because the amount of videos we will use won't be worth the price, we have done most of them.  

The Jr. version has a 3 books that correspond to each video that you can get from the library, a joke, an activity you can print off, a puzzle or game they do on the computer, a write about it prompt and a draw about it prompt, each one also has a note taker you can print off so they can look for one answer each time they watch the video as well as a hard quiz and an easy quiz that you can either print or have them take online and print the results.  My dd loves it and requests to watch them just for fun!  

Lo1427
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:02 AM
I have the family subscription for $8 a month and I have everything the pp described. My kids watch the videos, read the jokes, take the quizzes, and have access to everything.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MessedUpMama
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:15 AM

The main difference is that the Homeschool subscription allows up to 3 students to log-in at the same time, allows each child his/her own log-in so that their scores on the quiz's and other stuff can be kept seperate from those of the other children. So, if you have more than one child, AND they will be getting onto the site at the same time watching different videos, and/or you want to keep their quiz results separate, then the Homeschool option is probably the right one. However, if you only have one child, or your children won't be on the site at the same time, or if you don't care about the quiz results being kept separately on the site, then the Family/Home option is probably better, because it costs less.

Quoting chotovec82:

OK- I am thinking that family access allows more than one comptuer tho and it also allows a payment plan of 8 dollars a month. I am mroe interested in curriculum. If I do family than do they still get to use all the stuff that they would if it were homeschool subscribtion that I purchased? Maybe I am overthinking this?

Quoting lifesadream83:

lifesadream83
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Quoting chotovec82:

Quoting lifesadream83:

There is no difference between the Single User Homeschool Version and the Home Version in content/price.  You will get all the same access with one login and password.  However, like I said earlier the Multi User Homeschool version allows for 3 logins at once.  I am not sure about payment options as we paid for it outright.  I am sure if you called though they could work with you but again same access, same material same price so if you just want one login then you can do the Home version.  

collinsmommy0
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm going to do something bad. If you don't want to see it, don't scroll down. Years ago some usernames were accidentally published in a school boards yearly report. It went viral, and now many places use it (illegally).

Username: bcps
Password: brainpop

Username: bcpsjr

I'm a terrible person for sharing. Sorry. Please don't kick me out of the group. Thx.
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM

They must have changed them :(

Quoting collinsmommy0:

I'm going to do something bad. If you don't want to see it, don't scroll down. Years ago some usernames were accidentally published in a school boards yearly report. It went viral, and now many places use it (illegally).

I'm a terrible person for sharing. Sorry. Please don't kick me out of the group. Thx.

collinsmommy0
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:08 AM
I logged into the brainpop one (bcps, brainpop) a few weeks ago.

Quoting chotovec82:

They must have changed them :(

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN