Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

1st grade curriculum??

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:16 AM
  • 24 Replies
I'm thinking of homeschooling my 6 yo. A lot of problems with his school. The board of education said I needed to list my curriculum I plan to use. Idk what she means or where to start or how to go about obtaining a curriculum. ??? Any advice? Please??
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krisiehb
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Curriculum is basically the books and lessons you plan on uing to teach your child from.  I dont have a set curriculum right now.  This is my first year homeschooling and I am piecing together materials for a curiculum and it works for my son.  I use hooked on phonics and reading eggs online for reading and language arts.  I use evisions for math and also brainquest workbooks and IXL online.  For science I get books about animals and volcanoes and I also go to studyjam.com.   

Annastacialynn
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:03 AM
Double check your state laws for homeschooling as well, to make sure you are covering all your bases.
Angela4boys
by Angela on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:06 AM
I bought the spectrum curriculum. It's about $60 for the whole year of workbooks, and follows national standard.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:00 AM

What you plan to teach him this year from first day of school to last day of school and how are you going to teach him.

BramblePatch
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:10 AM
You need to chose what you will be using to teach him. This should be per subject. Have you decided on that yet?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:13 AM

You can do a "boxed" curriculum, or you can piece it together.  I prefer a boxed curriculum.  It is all there for me for one price.  So far, so good.  The one that we picked is working well for us and both our girls.

You can also look at the scope and sequence for your local district to make sure that you are teaching to the local standards.  BTW most homeschooled children are far above the PS counterparts.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting BramblePatch:

You need to chose what you will be using to teach him. This should be per subject. Have you decided on that yet?

What she said. Lol.

You need phonics, spelling, grammar, writing, science, history, and math for this age; you can, of course, also buy curricula for a second language, art, and music if you choose to. Since this is your first year, I would suggest sticking with language arts, phonics, science, history, and math and not worrying about art, music, and foreign language (formally) just yet.

Here's an example of what we will use next year for our rising Kindergartner:

Phonics: Little Stories for Little Folks (CHC) and Starfall

Math: MCP K and Singapore Essentials K

Writing: Numbers for Little Folk, Letters for Little Folk

... and this year for my 5th/6th grader:

Grammar and Writing: Hake 6

Math: Calvert math and Math Mammoth 6

History: A History of US and From Sea to Shining Sea (CTP)

Science: Galore Park Science 2

Religion: Seton's Bible History

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

oredeb
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

does this all make sense to you mommy?

what state are you  in? you need to read your state law on homeschooling http://www.youcanhomeschool.org/starthere/info.asp

have you read anything about homeschooling? heres an interesting site that talks about it answers questions etc  http://www.youcanhomeschool.org/starthere/default.asp?bhcp=1

romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:52 PM
2 moms liked this

I would not simply take the person's word at the board of education. They have been known to give us home educators the run around.   Find out what your state laws are concerning home school.  Home  school associations are usually most helpful with this, and other matters.  Following is n article to help you with that, with curriculum and more.  How To Home School

Also here is some scientific research that will help you motivate your children to want to learn.  It is so much easier when you do not have to push, and threaten. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Here you go. Some encouragement....

The Ten Most Important Things

You Need to Know About Homeschooling

1. Homeschooling is life changing. It creates personal growth for both the parent and the child. You (the parent) get a second chance to re-discover your own special genius, while you help your children discover theirs. Nothing you will ever do will have a more profound effect on your child and your family's future as homeschooling.

2. You are qualified to homeschool your children if you love to read to them, love to spend time with them, love to explore the world with them, love to see them learn new things and, most important, love them. 

3. Children love to learn. It is as natural to them as breathing. They have an inborn hunger to explore the world and examine what is interesting. They learn by following their interests, with one interest leading to another. This is the way we all learned as younger children and how as adults we learn after we leave school. Homeschooling families learn together and know that learning is a life-long process.

4. Homeschooling is legal everywhere in the United States, but homeschooling laws vary from state to state. The three basic categories for homeschooling laws are: home education laws, private school laws, and equivalency laws. The best way to find out what your state laws are is to contact a local support group in your area. To contact a representative from your state, please visit our list of local homeschooling groups. They are well versed in your states particular laws and regulations and can assist you.

5. It does not take six to eight hours a day to homeschool your child. Most of the time children spend at school consists of waiting. Design a plan that works for your family and be prepared to scratch it several times and start over. Don't sacrifice your family's happiness to "school" your children. There are many ways families homeschool; find what works for you and your family.

6. Your child will not become a social misfit. Children do not need to be socialized in a large group of same-age children to become well adjusted socially. Quite the opposite. Most parents want their children to learn their social graces from adults, not other children. Homeschoolers have healthy relationships with people of all ages, including the new mother next door, the retired couple who loves to garden, their friends at ballet, 4-H and Karate and, most important, their parents.

7. You will not have to teach algebra unless you really want to. It is not necessary to teach pre-algebra to ten year olds. When your teen decides to become a scientist, or is ready to explore the requirements of college admission, together you will explore the ways they can learn algebra: in a community college class, with a tutor, or through text books.  After years of using math in their daily lives, homeschooled teens are well equipped to teach themselves higher math. Don't worry about it when they are ten.

8. You will question yourself a lot. Maybe several times a day in the beginning. This is normal. Find a fellow homeschooling friend. Support each other. Tell each other that it's okay to sometimes feel that your children didn't seem to learn anything on a given day. They did, and so did you! 

9. You do not have to starve or live in a tent to homeschool your children. Thousands of homeschooling families are able to make the money they need and homeschool their children at the same time. While you create a family business or dream job, or restructure your current job, your children will learn the most important skill of all- how to create the life of their dreams.

10. Trust in your child. They learned how to love, smile, crawl, walk, talk, run, dress themselves, and understand their world before starting school, and they will continue to grow and learn without school.

undefined

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN