Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I'm thinking of homeschooling my 6 yo. A lot of problems with his school. The board of education said I needed to list my curriculum I plan to use. Idk what she means or where to start or how to go about obtaining a curriculum. ??? Any advice? Please??
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
mommy74146
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Quoting oredeb:

does this all make sense to you mommy?

what state are you  in? you need to read your state law on homeschooling http://www.youcanhomeschool.org/starthere/info.asp

have you read anything about homeschooling? heres an interesting site that talks about it answers questions etc  http://www.youcanhomeschool.org/starthere/default.asp?bhcp=1

Thank you for the information. It helps a lot. Where can I go to get the curriculum? I'm sure it's pretty simple, It's just very new to me.
StayHomeMom0610
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I don't know if this will benefit you, but thanks to another mom here on CM I found K12.com  public online school,  they send everything you're going to need to teach your child! I love it!! The online teachers are very helpful and supportive. My son is 6 and he is starting next Monday so we are looking forward to this!

PinkButterfly66
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Pull up your state's SOL and give them THAT as your curriculum. That's what I did, I never heard another peep.

Precious333
by Julia on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:54 PM

IU have a 6yr old too. This is the perfect age to experiment and see what works best for you. WE are currently using spetrum for math, but I'm going to try out singapore, and get some manipulatives from math u see.  We are also going Classical Conversations (which is a Christain based curriculum) and we love it! We have weekly classes, and because I tutor I get paid and that goes to towards the costs. I am going to be checking out "Story of the World" also.  I do our own reading and writting as well.

lifesadream83
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Here is a link to a forum regarding ideas for putting together curriculum

Forum

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Roma is exactly right ....many board of education officials are misleading and many of them  simply DO NOT know the state's laws.  I would encourage you to find a homeschooling organization in your state that can guide you through this sometimes overwhelming process.  Best of luck. :)

Quoting romacox:

I would not simply take the person's word at the board of education. They have been known to give us home educators the run around.   Find out what your state laws are concerning home school.  Home  school associations are usually most helpful with this, and other matters.  Following is n article to help you with that, with curriculum and more.  How To Home School

Also here is some scientific research that will help you motivate your children to want to learn.  It is so much easier when you do not have to push, and threaten. 

lifesadream83
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this

If I had to build you a curriculum for a first grader  I would have you do/urchase  this/these items for your first year to see how it went:

For Mom:

The Well Trained Mind

Homeschooling

Curriculum:

History & Language Arts

Encyclopedia of World History 

Science  (Books 1 & 2 are for first grade. And get books from the library to go with each topic)

Math  I would get the primer and Alpha that way you can start from the beginning and make sure he knows everything and then work your way foward from there.

If required:

Art 

Music- I would just get him lessons or have him listen to songs and such I have not found a music curriculum I love yet. 

mommy74146
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Quoting lifesadream83:

If I had to build you a curriculum for a first grader  I would have you do/urchase  this/these items for your first year to see how it went:

For Mom:

The Well Trained Mind

Homeschooling

Curriculum:

History & Language Arts

Science  (Books 1 & 2 are for first grade. And get books from the library to go with each topic)

Math  I would get the primer and Alpha that way you can start from the beginning and make sure he knows everything and then work your way foward from there.

If required:

Art 

Music- I would just get him lessons or have him listen to songs and such I have not found a music curriculum I love yet. 

Thank you :). Where do I purchase these? Just a regular bookstore?
lifesadream83
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Quoting mommy74146:

Quoting lifesadream83:

For Mom:

The Well Trained Mind

Homeschooling

Curriculum:

History & Language Arts

If required:

Art 

Thank you :). Where do I purchase these? Just a regular bookstore?

Here I found them all for you at RainbowResources.com All you have to do now is click the link and add to cart!

The Well Trained Mind

Homeschooling

Curriculum:

History and Language Arts

Reading

Grammar & CD

Writing

Handwriting 

History & Study Guide

Science  

If required:

Art 

-----------------------------------------------------------Every thing above this line is linked to Rainbow Resources. The math you will have to get from the site it is linked to as it is not available through RR at this time.  

Hope that makes it easier for you!

The first year is the hardest but this is the most affordable curriculum with guides IMO and will help you as you  figure out what works best for you and your family.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN