Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Major Vent!

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:01 PM
  • 7 Replies
DS is 5. He is doing 1st grade work mostly. We started a new math last week. In 6 days, he was to memorize his math facts 0-5. Today was his first drill. It was 25 problems. He got only 4 wrong...all 1+3 or 3+1. I was pretty happy with that. He showed my dad who was p$&54$ed. My dad said "what is wrong with him". DS was near tears at this point. My dad proceeds to tell me that i obviously have no idea what i am doing.

I am just so mad right now. HOW DARE HE?????????????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:14 PM

O. M. G. I Hate when people belittle the accomplishments of others. It doesn't really matter what he thinks. You could teach your 5y/o quantum physics and he'd still find something wrong. ;( so don't let it get you down. I'd probably discourage my kids from showing him what they've done, and I'd rip him a new a-hole for putting my kids down. 

kaffedrikke
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:17 PM
id tell pops his behaviour was unacceptable. Because of.this you wont be sharing any accomplishments about your son.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Oh I would definitely be ticked! I would have sent Ds from the room and have proceeded to chew some butt.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:33 PM
3 moms liked this

Never mind sending him to his room - I would have chewed that man out right in front of the poor child; then the child would know that Mom believes in him and refuses to allow ANYONE to treat him like that.

Nobody has ever said anything like that to my children. Not because I'm awesome - they're just scared of my husband (he's not physically intimidating, but golly he has a way of looking at, and speaking to, people who have harmed me or his children that makes a person feel like they're nothing more than a wet goo of stupid).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Awww ~ You have every right to be through the roof angry. You should tell your dad that if he wants in on yours and your children's lives then he had better stop with the cussing treatment of your children and behave a lot more positively in front of them. Period. Or he will not get to be apart of what is happening to his family. What he said and how he said what he said was wrong on every level.  Then, you go to your son and tell him that family cane sometimes be thoughtless and have problems thinking before they open their mouths to speak and that his work was very impressive and that you are so very proud of him and his work. I would also display his work on the refridgerator so that whenever anyone gets into the fridge, they will see his work and again be proud of him and his work.  I am so sorry that you experienced this thoughtless reaction.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:37 AM
"What is wrong with him? Really, Dad? What is wrong with YOU? Never, ever speak to or about my children that way." Done.

I don't have personal experience with that; my father dotes on my children and my (permanently cut off) mother has only ever been hateful to me. BUT, I have a feeling Dear Old Dad just earned himself a timeout from the kids if he can't come with an apology and an admission of personal wrong. That's what I would do, anyway.

Good luck. If this is well outside the realm of your father's normal behavior, have him evaluated for senility or Alzheimer's. If it's par for the course, keep him away from your family.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:50 AM

OMGOSH!

That's terrible!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)