Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello Ladies,

Soooooo many people have been inquiring about curriculum lately that I compiled a general post I am going to start responding with LOL.  I was just wondering if anyone else had some addins to provide.  Or maybe we could "meat up" this post so that we can link it to people who request curriculum info.  

There are a great many things you can do for cheap.  There are actually whole curriculum plans online for free.  

Amleside Online 

Charlotte Mason

An Old Fashioned Education

You could also purchase the most important resources and then get add ins from the library. 

For example, some People buy the Sonlight Instructor Guides & Main Spines and then get the rest of the resources from the local library. 

A great money saving Elementary Program in my opinion would be:

History, Reading & Language Arts The Well Trained Mind  with either the UILE or Kingfisher

I would recommend all the resources in the bundle but purchasing them through a website like Amazon.com or RainbowResources.com as they will be cheaper.  I have a printer/scanner/copier if you do not then consider that if you have more than one kid you could order a PDF of the student pages through Peace Hill Press's site so that you can just print them as you need.  

Science  

(K) Childs Play  

(1st Grade books 1 & 2 and 2nd Grade books 3 & 4) Earlybird Science

(3rd, 4th, & 5th) RSO  Life, Earth & Space and then Chemistry.

Or Real Science 4 Kids

Or Singapore Science

Math Math U See or The Teaching Textbooks or Singapore Math or Math In Focus $$$

My Review:

The history program comes with map work and coloring pages and suggestions for projects.  You do not have to do them all!  Pick and choose.  :)  It also comes with suggestions for GOOD literature associated and fiction readers as well that you can get from your local library.  For science you can also take the kids to the library and pick out books that are associated by topic.  That is what we do.  RSO is cool but some of the book recommendations are dated and hard to find for purchase but the library actually has them.  RSO requires supply kits that can be purchased fairly cheap through HomeScienceTools.com

The Language Arts and History materials I would get through Amazon/Rainbow Resources.  I typically make shopping carts and compare shipping etc.  The math program I use is Math In Focus and can be outside of many people's budget but I cannot help but recommend it because of how well it worked for dd. When we hit highschool we will move on into the Teaching Textbooks.   People I know love Math U See and swear by it.  I am not sure what other places carry it but even right from the supplier it is affordable.  

If you feel the need to add in art.  I would suggest Evan Moore Teaching Art to kids   (Again Purchase through Amazon for your best buy.) This combined with some of the projects from History is more than adequate.  There is also a program called Artistic Pursuits that looks amazing and we will be using it next year. 

If you are big on music may I suggest to you the greatest composer study.  The books are available through Amazon.com for less then $50 when they are all in the bag (there is a discount for buying more then 4 of these books).  You could also split it over 2 years if you wanted to and just purchase 1/2 of the books at a time.  We are doing it next year for music along with learning to play the recorder.  This woman also has some printables for young kids on her site 

You could also build your own curriculum for young kids using:

National Geographic Kids

Starfall

Discovery Kids

Dr.Seuss

The Magic Tree House

Typing for Kids

Story Time

BBC  (expat shield so you can watch BBC videos)

PBS & Teacher Site

The Baldwin Project

Animated Hero Classic WB's for Historical Figures

Fact Monster

BBC History for Kids

Amazing Space

Art Everywhere  This site is great for knowing what vocabulary they should know for what age & Artist studies as well as some other cool resources. 

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:12 PM
Replies (11-20):
oredeb
by debbie on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:14 AM

oh good another one like sfreading or whatever its called!!! hahaha

thanks life!

Quoting lifesadream83:

Here is another one I forgot about it is McGraw Hill's Workbooks available as PDF files online for Grammar and Spelling 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 29, 2012 at 1:01 PM
Preschool and kinder free curric: weefolkart.com
Cheap Waldorf education curric: waldorfessentials.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:38 PM

How do you like your waldorf essentials?  Is it working well?  Do you have to supplement a lot?  I'm really curious! :)

Quoting Boobah:

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:50 PM
I like it a lot. I have a prek and a second grader (1st grade in waldorf), so I use weefolkart and waldorfessentials together. It is enough on it's own, but wfa gives fun books to read, little poems, craft projects, nature study ideas, etc.
I find that they compliment each other nicely, which probably has a lot to do with them both being seasonally based curriculums.
W.e. Is pretty basic and could be put together easily on your own, but for the price it was worth it to have it all laid out in one place, planned, with stories and ideas on extras.

Quoting irvinehiker:

How do you like your waldorf essentials?  Is it working well?  Do you have to supplement a lot?  I'm really curious! :)

Quoting Boobah:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Do you plan on continuing to use waldorf essentials next year or switching  to oak meadow?  I like OM, but I feel I have to supplement  a lot to make it complete.  It's a bit pricey for me when I'm supplementing so much.  I like the balance between stucture and flexibility that OM offers, but I kinda miss unschooling too. 

Quoting Boobah:

I like it a lot. I have a prek and a second grader (1st grade in waldorf), so I use weefolkart and waldorfessentials together. It is enough on it's own, but wfa gives fun books to read, little poems, craft projects, nature study ideas, etc.
I find that they compliment each other nicely, which probably has a lot to do with them both being seasonally based curriculums.
W.e. Is pretty basic and could be put together easily on your own, but for the price it was worth it to have it all laid out in one place, planned, with stories and ideas on extras.

Quoting irvinehiker:

Quoting Boobah:

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

i like using Confessions of a Homeschoolers Letter of the Week & 4K stuff for my two . You can buy them for cheap (10) or d/l 'em for free but one at t ime.

I also really like 1+1+1=1 blog. she's got a lot of free and/or cheap stuff

2 teaching mommies got free stuff for preschoolers. Tons of cool packs my kids enjoy

3 dinosaurs got tons of packs too for preschool/Kindergarten

here are some links but i don't know if i can make 'em clickable :\

http://www.1plus1plus1equals1.net/

http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/

http://3dinosaurs.com/wordpress/

http://www.2teachingmommies.com 

sorry not sure how to make clicky :\

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:43 PM
I can't say for sure because we have only been going about 2 months with Waldorf essentials, but I'm pretty sure we will not be using oak meadow. The more I read up on Waldorf, the more I believe in trusting the method, and although om is Waldorf based, it doesn't follow the development of the child the same as a true Waldorf curriculum. Again, this may change! Lol!
My personal opinion is, I'm going to (most likely) use Waldorf essentials because it is a complete Waldorf curriculum, and of I choose to supplement, I can do so for pretty much free or very low cost. The only hesitations I have so far is math, but that is because we don't start math until January. (they do block scheduling) once I get a feel for how well math will go, I will decide if we will stick with Waldorf math or go to a "regular" math like horizons.

Quoting irvinehiker:

Do you plan on continuing to use waldorf essentials next year or switching  to oak meadow?  I like OM, but I feel I have to supplement  a lot to make it complete.  It's a bit pricey for me when I'm supplementing so much.  I like the balance between stucture and flexibility that OM offers, but I kinda miss unschooling too. 

Quoting Boobah:

Quoting irvinehiker:

Quoting Boobah:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:44 PM
Also, I like how this is kind of... Structured unschool if that makes sense. We still learn through life for the most part, but it gives me ideas on things to do with the kids and guides me on how to be a better mom and "teacher".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifesadream83
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Quoting Boobah:

I can't say for sure because we have only been going about 2 months with Waldorf essentials, but I'm pretty sure we will not be using oak meadow. The more I read up on Waldorf, the more I believe in trusting the method, and although om is Waldorf based, it doesn't follow the development of the child the same as a true Waldorf curriculum. Again, this may change! Lol!
My personal opinion is, I'm going to (most likely) use Waldorf essentials because it is a complete Waldorf curriculum, and of I choose to supplement, I can do so for pretty much free or very low cost. The only hesitations I have so far is math, but that is because we don't start math until January. (they do block scheduling) once I get a feel for how well math will go, I will decide if we will stick with Waldorf math or go to a "regular" math like horizons.

Quoting irvinehiker:

Quoting Boobah:

Quoting irvinehiker:

Quoting Boobah:

I went to this waldorfessentials link however, it seems like more of a blog then curriculum.  Do you by chance have a link directly to the curriculum you could provide?

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:51 AM
Sorry, I didn't realize there wasn't a link there. For the curriculum see http://shop.beaconmama.com/
:)

Quoting lifesadream83:

Quoting Boobah:

Quoting irvinehiker:

Quoting Boobah:

Quoting irvinehiker:

Quoting Boobah:

I went to this waldorfessentials link however, it seems like more of a blog then curriculum.  Do you by chance have a link directly to the curriculum you could provide?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)