Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Thinking about homeschooling my 5yr old and could use some advice.

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 1:45 AM
  • 14 Replies

Hi everyone :)

We are a military family stationed overseas and my 5yr old son is currently enrolled in kindergarten at the school here on base but I am seriously considering taking him out and homeschooling him myself. I had thought about homeschooling him before he started kinder but didn't think I was up for the challenge, ( because I have no patience lol), but as the school year progresses I am wondering if home school would be better for us. I just dont know if I can do it. Is it hard to home school? How do you even get started? Would I have to wait and start after the school year if over or can i start asap?

The main thing that holds me back from homeschooling is that my son LOVES going to school and he loves being around all the other kids and stuff and I don't want him to miss out on some of the regular school experiences but I honestly think he would benefit more from the one on one teaching I could give him vs. the lets race through everything at lightning speed and then complain that he's "having trouble understanding" crap I'm dealing with with his school.

Any and all advice is greatly welcomed. Thanks so much ;)

by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 1:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leighp1
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 5:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Being military you might have a little advantage.  The military base here has a homeschooling liason, so you might want to check into that.  Your best bet is to this website for legal questions. I beleive you can start homeschooling whenever you want, you will just have to send a letter of intent, but check with the school district where you are at to make sure. As for the interaction with other kids?  There are many other places your child can interact with other kids, sports, boy scouts, playgroups, some schools (like where I am in Florida) let the homeschooled children come to pe and music at the public schools.  This is one of the things my daughter does. My daughter is 11 and we just started basically, but she loves it and I enjoy it, but also worry all the time.  Just have faith in yourself and things will go great.  I agree with you on the one on one is so much better than the rushing threw it or having to wait because others don't. I hope I have helped a little.  You know what is best for your child. Go with your instinct.

romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 7:18 AM
2 moms liked this

Wow.  I could not have said it better leighp1.  You both are so right about public schools racing through everything.  It is taking a serious toll on the kids.  The only thing I can think of to add would be: understanding your child's learning style will help avoid much of the trial and error of finding the right method or curriculum. 

Quoting leighp1:

Being military you might have a little advantage.  The military base here has a homeschooling liason, so you might want to check into that.  Your best bet is to this website for legal questions. I beleive you can start homeschooling whenever you want, you will just have to send a letter of intent, but check with the school district where you are at to make sure. As for the interaction with other kids?  There are many other places your child can interact with other kids, sports, boy scouts, playgroups, some schools (like where I am in Florida) let the homeschooled children come to pe and music at the public schools.  This is one of the things my daughter does. My daughter is 11 and we just started basically, but she loves it and I enjoy it, but also worry all the time.  Just have faith in yourself and things will go great.  I agree with you on the one on one is so much better than the rushing threw it or having to wait because others don't. I hope I have helped a little.  You know what is best for your child. Go with your instinct.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Hello and welcome

I use more then one site

www.damand.com/

password::BBOB

http://www.havefunteaching.com/

I try to let them keep their freinds or fun a homeschool support group that meets.

Yes leighp1 to check in to things before you get started please.

lifesadream83
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:40 AM
2 moms liked this

We are a military family too.  We are stationed at Fort Bragg.  There are military families everywhere that homeschool and create groups to meet up and do activities or coops together so he can still get interaction with other kids and they will be doing the same thing he does.  I am not sure what the regulations are for pulling them from a DOD school to homeschool though.  I would suggest if you have FB inquireing on this site... http://www.facebook.com/HomeschoolersInTheMilitary  I am sure one of them may have come across this.  I also joined HSLDA so that they could help us when we move from state to state with various laws that apply to homeschooing.  Sort of a cover our butt thing.  They offer a 15% discount for military families.  

Then I would look into what type of curriculum you would like to use.  There have been serval posts regarding curriculum lately last night I built one for someone to include books for her to aid in her transition for less then $300 for a first grader.  

Here is one http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/17668021/Affordable_Curriculum

Here is another http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/17663421/1st_grade_curriculum

We decided to homeschool for many reasons.  One of them is to maintain continuity in dd's education from duty station to duty station and not have to worry about the school districts everywhere we go.  It also lets us break whenever we need or want to. For example, dh was deployed from 2010-2011 when he came home we took the whole month off that he was on leave to be a family again.  You can't do that with public schools.  We also do not have to worry about PCSing in the middle of a school year.   It has worked out well for us considering we started in MD we are now in NC and next year we will start in FL and end in MD. Chances are we will remain in MD until retirement in less then 8 years but we will continue to homeschool. It took both dd and I all of 2nd grade to adapt as we needed to deschool as she had been in day care since she was 2 and then prek-1st she was in private school because I still worked.  We are doing 3rd grade now and things are great.  There are many obstacles to cross the first year.  Adapting to homeschooling and finding curriculum that work for the both of you as well as finding a network at your location for support.  Having other moms that homeschool around you helps a lot.    You said you think you couldn't do it for a lack of patience.  It does require patience!  But on a lighter note that first year I mentioned helps a lot with that.  I tried to do everything my first year and was totally overwhelmed.   We switched curriculum mid way for math and tried two others for history and completely dropped science, music and art.  So I would say since you are overseas there is probably less regulation on post.  Start with the basics: Math, Language Arts, History and Science. Then after you find what works best for you and ds add art and music.  

Another nice thing about hs is if your kid gets sick they don't miss material.  You can just wait until they are better or go over things slowly until they recover.  Allowing them to get a complete education without mass amounts of homework when they go back to school.  

oredeb
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 3:29 PM
2 moms liked this

take him out!! you can do a much better job than the "lets race through everything at lightning speed and then complain that he's "having trouble understanding" crap " 

i f you really want to homeschool him, you'll get some patience!! its not easy to change but we can do it for the sake of our children

where are you stationed?

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 28, 2012 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree! You ARE better for your son than that system's way of educating our children of today.  We believe in you. :)  

Quoting oredeb:

take him out!! you can do a much better job than the "lets race through everything at lightning speed and then complain that he's "having trouble understanding" crap " 

i f you really want to homeschool him, you'll get some patience!! its not easy to change but we can do it for the sake of our children

where are you stationed?

undefined

SugarMama99200
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:46 AM
2 moms liked this

Thanks so much ladies for all the info and encouragement. Was just talking with my DH this morning and he fully supports the decision to hs, (I wasn't sure if he would lol).  I even talked with my son about it and asked him if he would mind if mommy was his teacher instead of going to school and he really surprised me by actually being excited at the thought lol so I am going to be looking into it more seriously now.

A few friends of mine have given me a few names of people here on base that do HS so I will be contacting them soon to see where I have to start with all of this. I am nervous but excited about it all but like I was telling my DH this am, the way they run the classrooms and "learning" here, it seems that I am already doing most of the teaching anyway so I might as well just take over all of it.

leighp1
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I am so happy that hubby and child support your homeschooling.  We all doubt ourselves every day.  I do about ten times a day and I am constantly looking to see if there is something better out there.  You just have to know that you can do it!!  You have a huge support group here at CafeMom and the best thing you can do is ask questions.  Many questions. There are no stupid questions.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Quoting SugarMama99200:

Thanks so much ladies for all the info and encouragement. Was just talking with my DH this morning and he fully supports the decision to hs, (I wasn't sure if he would lol).  I even talked with my son about it and asked him if he would mind if mommy was his teacher instead of going to school and he really surprised me by actually being excited at the thought lol so I am going to be looking into it more seriously now.

A few friends of mine have given me a few names of people here on base that do HS so I will be contacting them soon to see where I have to start with all of this. I am nervous but excited about it all but like I was telling my DH this am, the way they run the classrooms and "learning" here, it seems that I am already doing most of the teaching anyway so I might as well just take over all of it.

SugarMama99200
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:58 AM

Quoting lifesadream83:

We decided to homeschool for many reasons.  One of them is to maintain continuity in dd's education from duty station to duty station and not have to worry about the school districts everywhere we go.  It also lets us break whenever we need or want to.

This was one of my reasons for wanting to hs as well.

Another nice thing about hs is if your kid gets sick they don't miss material.  You can just wait until they are better or go over things slowly until they recover.  Allowing them to get a complete education without mass amounts of homework when they go back to school.  

and this was another. We are up in the northern part of Japan so the weather her gets REALLY cold and the germs and sickness seem to run rampant this time of year. Hes already had to miss several days of school because of sickness. Another thing that has helped push me more towards hs, is that the base put out a "mandatory"  order for all AD and dependents to get a flu vax. Im not against vaxing but I dont want to be TOLD what to do ya know? I havnt had a flu vax in over 5 yrs and my son hasnt had one since he got the half dose at 6mo and I didnt like his reaction to it so I never got him the 2nd half OR another one since and hes been just fine. ...Sorry for my little rambling vent there lol

SugarMama99200
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Quoting oredeb:

where are you stationed?

we are stationed on an AF base in Misawa,Japan. Yea I know, navy on an AF base? lol. My DH is with a navy detachment here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN