Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Math u see Gamma... what all do I need? *ETA*

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 7:57 PM
  • 2 Replies

On the MathUSee site, it shows the following:

Gamma instruction pack (lesson-by-lesson instruction, full solutions, DVD with lesson-by-lesson video instruction... $40

Gamma student kit (student text with lesson-by-lesson worksheets and review pages, as well as the test booklet) $25

Manipulative block set $35

Is the DVD for the student to watch, or for the parent to use to know how to teach the material?

I've been looking for some of the stuff on ebay... I've seen lots of test booklets and teacher materials but no student materials other than the test booklet. Why don't people use the test booklet? Just curious.

*ETA* Is it necessary to use their blocks or can I find a less expensive base ten set?

by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:09 PM

You can use the DVD either way. Some parents like to watch it and then teach their child. I've always let the child watch it, or watch it with them to make sure they understand it.  I'm sure that you could use just the teacher manual to teach it but I like having the DVD.

The blocks, I'd say are optional at the Gamma and higher levels. unless I had a younger student that would use it later, , I wouldn't buy the blocks.

A lot of homeschool families don't believe in testing so they wouldn't use the test booklet.  I DO use the test booklet. I do two pages per day and the test on Friday. DD has a Co-op class on Monday so we don't do book work for math on Monday. We play a math game like yahtzee, farkel, math war, etc... then She does Lesson A & D on Tues, B& E on Wed, C & F on Thursday and the test on Friday. if she does poorly, we review again Friday with the printable worksheets, or math blaster or something and give her another "test" on Monday before we move on.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

amandae21
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Thanks! I am going with MUS because my DD has struggled with understanding seemingly simple concepts like fact families (4x5=20, 20/4=5 etc). We have used manipulatives before, when learning number theory using K12, and she seemed to "get it" quicker.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

You can use the DVD either way. Some parents like to watch it and then teach their child. I've always let the child watch it, or watch it with them to make sure they understand it.  I'm sure that you could use just the teacher manual to teach it but I like having the DVD.

The blocks, I'd say are optional at the Gamma and higher levels. unless I had a younger student that would use it later, , I wouldn't buy the blocks.

A lot of homeschool families don't believe in testing so they wouldn't use the test booklet.  I DO use the test booklet. I do two pages per day and the test on Friday. DD has a Co-op class on Monday so we don't do book work for math on Monday. We play a math game like yahtzee, farkel, math war, etc... then She does Lesson A & D on Tues, B& E on Wed, C & F on Thursday and the test on Friday. if she does poorly, we review again Friday with the printable worksheets, or math blaster or something and give her another "test" on Monday before we move on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)