Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

its working!

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:14 PM
  • 11 Replies
5 moms liked this
I'm actually teaching her!
My dd is going to be 3 on the 16th of dec.
Tonight she spelled her name for her father. With out help!
L A U R E N !!
It was amazing!
I never knew teaching her things would feel so wonderful!
We work anywhere from 20 mins to an hour a day.
Should I start teaching her how to write it now?
And before I get she is young let her play...
She like learning. I don't push it. When she has had enough I stop and we do fun stuff!
Today we grouped play dough into balls of threes for 30 mins she loved it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
womanwifemomof3
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:29 PM
3 moms liked this

Do art projects or drawing each day. You always write her name on it.  Slowly forming the letters and talking while you do it.  Provide lots of writing utensils for her to reach any time she wants and lots of blank paper.  Post her art work with her name around the house.  She will want to copy you.  She will want to write.  When her hand eye coordination works itself out she will start writing her name on everything.  Asking you to stop writing her name on her work and just start doing it herself.  Her first attempts may not look just right but acknowledge the effort and she will continue.  I've seen several kids learn to write like this.  Learning every letter this way.  Most kids want to learn and copy.  Kids can learn to write without much teaching but lots of opportunities.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Some suggestions for early writing development...

1.  Hang a small dry erase board, little kids LOVE writing and erasing on these!!!

2.   Strengthen finger muscles with LOTS of play doh time

3.  Fine motor skill practice like stringing pasta, stickers, etc..

4.   Practice with scissors

5.  Begin with mazes, connecting dots, and tracing things like lines, zig-zags, circles, waves, etc.. 

6.  Buy tracing paper and start tracing anything and everything... pictures, letters, lines, etc...favorite cartoon characters...

7.   Praise every effort, even stuff way off base, and don't work on correcting everything... maybe the grip on their pencils, but everything else praise praise praise....  even if their C looks like a zig zag in a box!

oahoah
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 1:49 AM
3 moms liked this

It's an exciting feeling! My 3 y/o likes to "write" like his older brothers but they all love the sand/epsom salt/flour (your pick) writing that you put into a tray or cookie sheet and they form their letters just using their fingers.  We also do playdough names, rolling the dough into snakes and then forming letters.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:25 AM

Quoting jendawn1:

I'm actually teaching her!
My dd is going to be 3 on the 16th of dec.
Tonight she spelled her name for her father. With out help!
L A U R E N !!
It was amazing!
I never knew teaching her things would feel so wonderful!
We work anywhere from 20 mins to an hour a day.
Should I start teaching her how to write it now?
And before I get she is young let her play...
She like learning. I don't push it. When she has had enough I stop and we do fun stuff!
Today we grouped play dough into balls of threes for 30 mins she loved it.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:45 AM

I did not think about that till you said it my two daughters are so close she wants to do everything that her big sister wants to do. Big sister doing ballet no she is doing ballet. She really sees big sister is doing math so she would sit beside her and count want paper or objects to count with. When it is time to read she will go get a book or have her sister read to her. It seems so really. At first it was so hard getting my twins to do anything but now they see big brother and big sister doing it when is it my turn. So I let them work together paper as close to them as art project with their names on it and it is up where they can show dad this is mine (especial when they are looking for their names) that is how they learn how to spell their name. They want to play a lot so I got everything letters puzzles. We do matching coloring games counting games magnets letters so they can see their names on their art to write chalk boards so they can write whatever they can do. It is so great to see what I tout they are learning that makes me :).

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:53 AM
Great!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM

yea!!!!! lots of arts and crafts stuff!!!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I would work on letter recognition before teaching her to write. My 3 year old can RECOGNIZE his letters, the next step is pre-writing skills for us.

Or, you can work on pre-writing skills (tracing, coloring, etc) while you work on letter recognition. I wouldn't have taught my son how to write letters until he could recognize them. Often times, with intellectually advanced students, there is still a huge lag between what their brain can do and what their hands can do (fine motor skills). My son, for example (at age 3) can recognize written letters and numbers; his fine motor skills, however, are still at a stage of pre-writing skills (coloring and tracing). Until those pre-writing skills are mastered, teaching letter formation will only be unnecessarily frustrating.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Quoting oredeb:

yea!!!!! lots of arts and crafts stuff!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jendawn1
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:27 PM
She knows all the uppers and lowers.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I would work on letter recognition before teaching her to write. My 3 year old can RECOGNIZE his letters, the next step is pre-writing skills for us.

Or, you can work on pre-writing skills (tracing, coloring, etc) while you work on letter recognition. I wouldn't have taught my son how to write letters until he could recognize them. Often times, with intellectually advanced students, there is still a huge lag between what their brain can do and what their hands can do (fine motor skills). My son, for example (at age 3) can recognize written letters and numbers; his fine motor skills, however, are still at a stage of pre-writing skills (coloring and tracing). Until those pre-writing skills are mastered, teaching letter formation will only be unnecessarily frustrating.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)