Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I was just reading a post and it got me thinking about my daughter. She is 11 years old and we just started homeschooling her this year. She excels in Math (she is doing 8th grade Algebra), she likes science, she is a very hands on type of girl.  She is creating another website, Crystal's Christmas around the World (hopefully many of you have gone to it and please leave a message to encourage her). Every time I say it's reading time, she huffs and puffs.  She even huffs and puffs when she is doing the research for her website, but she does it and honestly she takes her time and really reads.  But for her to sit down with a book, it doesn't happen often. I have tried to find books that may interest her, but nothing really makes her want to read.  My older daughter, who is in high school/college, never liked to read either, but because of her school she HAS to.  She has found books she likes and will read to complete the project, but then will wait until another project before reading again.  I hope that made sense.

So my question is, do I force her to read or do I just let things work the way they have been? Let her continue to do her reading when she researches?  Her vocabulary is pretty good actually and spelling is okay too.

Thanks for your help.

by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:23 AM
Replies (11-20):
leighp1
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I am not sure if this was directed to me or not.  But I will answer from what I am dealing with, with my children.  You asked if they were going to go to college. I have a 15 year old that is doing dual enrollment now.  She is a high school student but her campus is the college and she is taking college courses.  She will have her AA degree by the time she graduates high school.  And she does not read a lot, but is trying to do more since it is required in the college.  My youngest one, well we don't know if she will want to go to college.  She is a selective mute and has social phobia, so she may decide that more school is not in her cards.  I see many people out there making a darn good living and not gone to college.

Quoting KrissyKC:

I hope I'm not being mean by asking...

Are your kids going to go to college?   What kind of career do they want?   Do you think this will affect college and career?   I know that's not the almighty most important thing in a kids life, so sorry if it sounds that way...

My own kids inhale books... at least the older two do, and the third one begs for me to read to her all the time (4)..  I cannot keep enough books in the house.   Every 2 weeks we have a library day and bring home about 40-50 books.   We have to take three back packs... one with some library work in it, and two to carry books back and forth... they are often so crammed with books, we have to "organize" them right to get them to fit.  

They will have read on most weeks at least 75% of the non-fictions (that I require) and usually ALL of their fiction books and most of their assigned read alouds...  

My eldest dislikes read alouds.   She has a high read to herself ability, but struggles with putting what she sees into auditory words.   We still work on it and she doesn't mind most days trying a little.   I don't push, though, when she is tired or irritated.

Anyway, that's just the older two...  my wee ones are 4yrs and 5 months...  who knows if they will struggle with reading or not??   Maybe I just got "lucky?" with the other two that they take to books like fish to water.

Quoting Uniquecoolio:

My kids are 15 and don't enjoy reading. I still read to them. They're doing fine.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Magazines and graphic novels. Yes, I totally just advocated comic books!
My DH and DS aren't big readers. DH only reads magazines and websites. DS prefers magazines AMD comics, but will read novels when he finds one that appeals to him.
DS is the kind who likes to link things up. He desperately wanted to see the Percy Jackson movie when it came out, so I told him he had to read the book first. He picked you a graphic novel of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, then wanted to read the book.
Use the tie-ins whenever you can, if they're available.
Hope that helps!
DD is like me. We're never without reading material of some kind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM

We did this with my oldest when we first started homeschooling him back when he was 12. It worked he loved the classics in their graphic novel form & then wanted to read the real books. By the way the first 2 Percy Jackson books are now graphic novels.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Magazines and graphic novels. Yes, I totally just advocated comic books!
My DH and DS aren't big readers. DH only reads magazines and websites. DS prefers magazines AMD comics, but will read novels when he finds one that appeals to him.
DS is the kind who likes to link things up. He desperately wanted to see the Percy Jackson movie when it came out, so I told him he had to read the book first. He picked you a graphic novel of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, then wanted to read the book.
Use the tie-ins whenever you can, if they're available.
Hope that helps!
DD is like me. We're never without reading material of some kind.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Good grief. Just reread my post and I'm so sorry for all the weird words and typos. I'm mobile and really bad at typing on my phone!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
awilliams77
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't force it.  If she can and does read as necessary to life and your schooling goals, I would leave it at that.  Let her see you read for enjoyment, let her pick out some things to read if she will. You don't want her to hate reading.

i took that approach with my kids.  3 out of 4 will now  choose a book and read it on their own. 2 have loved to read since around age 11, but the other didn't read anything that was not required up until this year.  She is 17 now, went and got her own library card, checks out books and buys them at thrift stores now. All this was after high school. Go figure. Then, I have one that will only browse a magazine, but did her required reading for massage therapy school and passed with A's. every child/person is different, I guess

lifesadream83
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I like a couple of the suggestions on here... The one about assigning her a book report every month on a book of her choice is a great one.

I was not a reader growing up... I don't think anyone forced me to either though. I can only remember reading one or two books while in school other then textbooks.  I enhale them now though.  I wanted differently for my dd though.  One way I did this was limiting tv and electronics exposure early on as a source of entertainment.  My dh and I were diviorced from one another for several years but we have reunited and that makes limiting the electronic play harder as it is something they do together.  She has a DS and and ipod television still stays off as we do not have cable.  She is only allowed to use them when school is done for the day/ week though.  This has forced her to PLAY with toys and her imagination a lot.  She also developed a love for reading.  We just went to the library the other day to return 10 books and she took out 11 more on top of the three she still had to read.  This is outside of her school work.  

I would encourage you by reading to her like another mom said one chapter a night.  That is how I got mine hooked.  We read every night before bed.  First she only wanted to read picture books on her own all the way up to this year.  Then as the books that I read to her got thicker the ones she choose got thicker too.  We are on our last chapter of Ginger Pye right now which to me is boring but she is loving it LOL.

Good Luck

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 29, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Okay. Before I scroll down and read anything else, I am going to try and give a good  tip for you. :)....

I have a few kids of my own that are the same way. *sighs quietly*  What about reading does she not like and what about reading does she like?  Has she ever analyzed  her reasons, both positive and negative?  If she had the capability to read digitally, would she? I know that I would never have seen myself go there as I love the hard copy of the paperback and the hardcover books. But, I am now an avid fan of digital reading. It has trully opened up a wider range of reading for me than I would have ever thought possible. Maybe she would feel the same way. Other than that, I don't think I would press the issue one way or the other. You might find her doing even less reading than before.  

Knowing how are children are and know when to expect more from them and when they are capable of doing more, can be frustrating indeed.  

My heart goes out to you. :)  

undefined

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 29, 2012 at 4:50 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd recommend NEVER forcing reading. If you just keep introducing potentially interesting things, then she will eventually love reading (or she may never love to read, my DH rarely reads) - but, if you force it, then IMO you are pretty much guaranteeing she will grow to detest all forms of reading.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Well said Shannon!  Much more succinct thatn what I said, anyways. lol :)

Quoting KickButtMama:

I'd recommend NEVER forcing reading. If you just keep introducing potentially interesting things, then she will eventually love reading (or she may never love to read, my DH rarely reads) - but, if you force it, then IMO you are pretty much guaranteeing she will grow to detest all forms of reading.

sdgd21
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM

my 12 year old  is the same, my 14 year old is too, at least  this year (not last year however...Weird), but I have spent the last 3 years making my 12 year old read, he now enjoys it. I did to start start reading to him and had him narrate to me, then I did audio books where he followed along, Now I read 1 book a week to him, he has 1 audio book per week, and he reads the rest, and for the most part he loves them... He's reading now ;-).

Quoting Uniquecoolio:

My kids are 15 and don't enjoy reading. I still read to them. They're doing fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)