Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I was just reading a post and it got me thinking about my daughter. She is 11 years old and we just started homeschooling her this year. She excels in Math (she is doing 8th grade Algebra), she likes science, she is a very hands on type of girl.  She is creating another website, Crystal's Christmas around the World (hopefully many of you have gone to it and please leave a message to encourage her). Every time I say it's reading time, she huffs and puffs.  She even huffs and puffs when she is doing the research for her website, but she does it and honestly she takes her time and really reads.  But for her to sit down with a book, it doesn't happen often. I have tried to find books that may interest her, but nothing really makes her want to read.  My older daughter, who is in high school/college, never liked to read either, but because of her school she HAS to.  She has found books she likes and will read to complete the project, but then will wait until another project before reading again.  I hope that made sense.

So my question is, do I force her to read or do I just let things work the way they have been? Let her continue to do her reading when she researches?  Her vocabulary is pretty good actually and spelling is okay too.

Thanks for your help.

by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:23 AM
Replies (21-30):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Yes, my initial comments were, but then I just shared about my older kids.

I guess in my mind, reading is just such a huge part of our learning here, that I don't know what we'll do if my younger two don't take to reading.  

It helps to see what others go through so we don't get so narrow sighted ourselves. 

When we first started talking about homeschooling, my DH was FIRMLY against the idea because he wanted them to go super far (academically)... so far, the first two are very ahead of the game... I'm just concerned about the next one, she seems the exact opposite.  :)   

Nice to know you don't have to "measure up" to academic stereotypes to be successful.... and a good reminder to my DH and I to not be too strict and rigid.

Thanks for sharing.

Quoting leighp1:

I am not sure if this was directed to me or not.  But I will answer from what I am dealing with, with my children.  You asked if they were going to go to college. I have a 15 year old that is doing dual enrollment now.  She is a high school student but her campus is the college and she is taking college courses.  She will have her AA degree by the time she graduates high school.  And she does not read a lot, but is trying to do more since it is required in the college.  My youngest one, well we don't know if she will want to go to college.  She is a selective mute and has social phobia, so she may decide that more school is not in her cards.  I see many people out there making a darn good living and not gone to college.

Quoting KrissyKC:

I hope I'm not being mean by asking...

Are your kids going to go to college?   What kind of career do they want?   Do you think this will affect college and career?   I know that's not the almighty most important thing in a kids life, so sorry if it sounds that way...

My own kids inhale books... at least the older two do, and the third one begs for me to read to her all the time (4)..  I cannot keep enough books in the house.   Every 2 weeks we have a library day and bring home about 40-50 books.   We have to take three back packs... one with some library work in it, and two to carry books back and forth... they are often so crammed with books, we have to "organize" them right to get them to fit.  

They will have read on most weeks at least 75% of the non-fictions (that I require) and usually ALL of their fiction books and most of their assigned read alouds...  

My eldest dislikes read alouds.   She has a high read to herself ability, but struggles with putting what she sees into auditory words.   We still work on it and she doesn't mind most days trying a little.   I don't push, though, when she is tired or irritated.

Anyway, that's just the older two...  my wee ones are 4yrs and 5 months...  who knows if they will struggle with reading or not??   Maybe I just got "lucky?" with the other two that they take to books like fish to water.

Quoting Uniquecoolio:

My kids are 15 and don't enjoy reading. I still read to them. They're doing fine.

buzymom93
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:28 AM

i would just relax and let her read at her own pace.. she is reading when she researches.. 

Christian Unschooling Mamma to my Adventurous 7yr old, Isaiah and mamma to my oldest, Mario 19yrs old and daughter in law Kristi.... Excited Grandma to my grandson Russel age 17months and my soon to be grandson due Dec. 6th....

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

My local librarians let me in a "secret" that I'm still trying to accept myself since my daughter hates reading too...  All about maybe 5 of the librarians on all the different floors at my library hated reading growing up. It didn't matter what types of books you put in front of them as a kid, they just hated reading. Now - one librarian has read almost every book in the library.... 
I find it hard to have my daughter just read the stuff she needs to to finish her assignments, and I leave a book out here or there I think may interest her. She picks out books at the library but she only reads a page or two from each one before we have to turn them back in....but I'm trying not to force it so that hoepfully one day maybe she'll love reading....

jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I have never forced my children to read and don't think it is a good idea.  I concentrated on setting up a reading environment.  I waited till my oldest asked me to teach him to read.  I made sure my kids saw me reading every day at the same time.  If I want my child to love reading then I need to love it as well.  I also have books everywhere in the house.  I am always picking up new books and leaving them where they can find.  My youngest is just now getting turned on the reading.  He loves Garfield comic books and books about animals. He especially loves books with cute animals doing very silly things.  He loves joke books as well.  Find books on things they love and never stop showing them new books.  Making library time special each week.  Some kids are natural readers and others take more time and encouragement.  I don't believe in forcing kids to read but I am a big fan of encouraging them to read.  Remember to lead by example.  It is the best way.

oredeb
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:32 PM

hahahaha my 2 that hated reading when younger, now read, i even find books for one of them and send them to him!

Quoting No_Difference:

My local librarians let me in a "secret" that I'm still trying to accept myself since my daughter hates reading too...  All about maybe 5 of the librarians on all the different floors at my library hated reading growing up. It didn't matter what types of books you put in front of them as a kid, they just hated reading. Now - one librarian has read almost every book in the library.... 
I find it hard to have my daughter just read the stuff she needs to to finish her assignments, and I leave a book out here or there I think may interest her. She picks out books at the library but she only reads a page or two from each one before we have to turn them back in....but I'm trying not to force it so that hoepfully one day maybe she'll love reading....

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:27 PM

This.  I took a similar approach and I have 1 kid who loved to read from the start and one who grew to love reading.   

Quoting jen2150:

I have never forced my children to read and don't think it is a good idea.  I concentrated on setting up a reading environment.  I waited till my oldest asked me to teach him to read.  I made sure my kids saw me reading every day at the same time.  If I want my child to love reading then I need to love it as well.  I also have books everywhere in the house.  I am always picking up new books and leaving them where they can find.  My youngest is just now getting turned on the reading.  He loves Garfield comic books and books about animals. He especially loves books with cute animals doing very silly things.  He loves joke books as well.  Find books on things they love and never stop showing them new books.  Making library time special each week.  Some kids are natural readers and others take more time and encouragement.  I don't believe in forcing kids to read but I am a big fan of encouraging them to read.  Remember to lead by example.  It is the best way.

Uniquecoolio
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:54 PM
They're already in community college.

Quoting KrissyKC:

I hope I'm not being mean by asking...

Are your kids going to go to college?   What kind of career do they want?   Do you think this will affect college and career?   I know that's not the almighty most important thing in a kids life, so sorry if it sounds that way...

My own kids inhale books... at least the older two do, and the third one begs for me to read to her all the time (4)..  I cannot keep enough books in the house.   Every 2 weeks we have a library day and bring home about 40-50 books.   We have to take three back packs... one with some library work in it, and two to carry books back and forth... they are often so crammed with books, we have to "organize" them right to get them to fit.  

They will have read on most weeks at least 75% of the non-fictions (that I require) and usually ALL of their fiction books and most of their assigned read alouds...  

My eldest dislikes read alouds.   She has a high read to herself ability, but struggles with putting what she sees into auditory words.   We still work on it and she doesn't mind most days trying a little.   I don't push, though, when she is tired or irritated.

Anyway, that's just the older two...  my wee ones are 4yrs and 5 months...  who knows if they will struggle with reading or not??   Maybe I just got "lucky?" with the other two that they take to books like fish to water.

Quoting Uniquecoolio:

My kids are 15 and don't enjoy reading. I still read to them. They're doing fine.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KLove_Mom
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Just keep looking for the right kind of books.

For me, I read a lot in 6th grade because we go to pick our own books from the school library, but then started to hate reading in junior high because they assigned books I had no interest in.

I fought against it until in 11th grade my mom handed me a book and said she thought I would like it and should try it. It was a Christian fiction novel about an 18 year old girl in Russia, and I was hooked from the first chapter. I read through the 3 novels in the series in just one month, and then she took me to the library with her to find similar novels. It didn't matter that it wasn't the classics, because I was reading, and it was clean fiction (even some of the YA fiction is questionable these days). 

Having books I liked to read actually made it easier to read the assigned books, because I knew I had something I liked to go back to. 

I still swap novels with my mom whenever we see each other. 

Might I suggest Melanie Carlson's teen girl series: "Diary of a Teenage Girl"

ariesmom20
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:15 PM

take her to the library and let her pick her own books the kids love that i let them get whatever they want or even help in somethings that we are learning like aries picked learning about butterflies this week

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:51 PM

My son who is in 8th grade do not like to read but when he picks his own books for his book report he is find they have to have once a month

But my daughter who is in fifth grade loves to read and it do not matter what book she choices so he gets mad when reading time she reads all time so I give her question when I see her put down that book at list I try to sometimes I could be cooking dinner or something.I am working to get better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)