Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Good Afternoon Everyone! Let's Talk.....

Posted by   + Show Post

I would love to know how everyone's week has gone.  I would also like to be able to offer you some positive support if you feel in need of some. There are days where I know that I feel like I need some encouragement myself. At least enough so that I have some hairs left in my head. lol 

Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way?  :)

undefined

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Replies (11-20):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM

You should be teaching a group of people how to be of the same frame of mind. :)  

Quoting oredeb:

yes all the encouragement we can get!!

i have bad days(or what i call bad days) and good days, thats my life! there always seems to be something to learn on those bad days, so i guess they really are good days ! sure dont seem like it when your in the middle of it though

gray hair- i have lots!! everyone is always telling me to cover it up! i hate doing that, but if i didnt i'd look like my dhs mother! (hes blonde still and not turning any other color yet!) just think if we were all bald we could just put on a wig of whatever color we wanted that day! save lots of money!ahhahaha

swimmom - sure hope you all get feelin better, chase that old flu out of your house.

andrea- hey go with your gut! be a unschooler, even a part time one is ok!hahaha, you can use the curr for resources, instead of doing eveeryday, and you'd still be using it!

oredeb
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

hahah sonja!! it comes with age!!!

Quoting kirbymom:

You should be teaching a group of people how to be of the same frame of mind. :)  

Quoting oredeb:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:04 PM

ahahahaha ahhh yeah, sometimes........  And some just do it more naturally than others. :) 

Quoting oredeb:

hahah sonja!! it comes with age!!!

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting oredeb:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Aw, hope you both feel better soon!

Quoting swim-mom72:

Not sure I could ever have too much encouragement or positivity around me : )

Our week has been off, since my youngest and I are trying to get through a bout of the flu. And they are both off today since my oldest has a 3 day swim meet. Soooo, I am hopeing that next week will be a little more routine or one where I get a bit more accomplished.

Experince has def taught me that there are good days and bad, as well as good weeks and bad ones. This too shall pass.

amandae21
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I am going stir crazy. DD usually has co-op and softball (which consumes about 4-5 nights a week between games and practices). We didn't have co-op last week and this week was the last week of the semester. I feel like we have been stuck in the house so much! And with a 2yo and 8mo in tow, it's a little hard to up and go just anywhere. We went to McDonalds for lunch one day...

coala
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I go over her schoolwork daily.  I mark the stuff she got wrong and have her correct it.  She bummed out then too.  It is horrible.  Her BM has made her feel like she is less than she really is.  She never spend much time with her and she feels like she  has to be perfect to be loved.  It is really really hard on her.  Thanks for understanding.

Quoting kirbymom:

Aww ~  That must be very frustrating for you.  Its crazy when you know they have done such a remarkable job and there they are all bummed out as if they did a terrible job and you are left wondering how to help them understand that they did a better job than they are giving themselves credit for.  Ahhh yes, perfectionism at work.  I wonder, do you ever grade their schoolwork?  

Quoting coala:

Our week went OK.  I have a child that feels the need to be a perfetionist.  We don't expect it from her nor have ever said anything like that to her.  So, anything less than a 100% on a test is devastating even if it is still an A.  My youngst has finally figured out how to use a pair of scissors in the last month.  She has found EVERY cut and glue activity that she can get her hands on and has had herself a good ol'time.  We have gone through almost a whole bottle of glue in the last month.  LOL  Our DVD's for our curric for our youngest arrived yesterday.  She is so excited that she is gong to start K in just over a month.  We have a countdown chain until we start.

For anyone who didn't have such a great week I send you all a great big HUG!!!!

You are such a dear. Hugs back. :)  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi amanda.  :)

Did you know that stir crazy and I are on the best of terms? I think we are even best friends. lol ~ I know what you mean about it being difficult to go a lot of places with your littlest ones.  Thank goodness my youngest is now four yrs old and I feel like I have a smidgen of freedom now. lol and can get out a bit.  I think McDonalds is a great place to start.  You can get a snack and be around people w/out being in conversation if you don't want to and your kids get to get some outside stimulation too.  I know that when my 3 oldest were young, that was what we did to get me and the kids out for awhile.  

Hopefully, your situation will broaden enough so that you can go out and for longer periods of time.  And in the meantime, if you feel those pangs of stir crazy coming on, just message me and we can feel them together.  :)  

Quoting amandae21:

I am going stir crazy. DD usually has co-op and softball (which consumes about 4-5 nights a week between games and practices). We didn't have co-op last week and this week was the last week of the semester. I feel like we have been stuck in the house so much! And with a 2yo and 8mo in tow, it's a little hard to up and go just anywhere. We went to McDonalds for lunch one day...

undefined

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Well, let's see here....

My FIL was in an accident in his pickup truck (flipped it).  He's bruised but doing okay.

My hubby got hired by a firm 4 weeks ago with the understanding that the job would last 4 months, it actually lasted 4 weeks... they ran out of money on the project.  So back to unemployment.

Now he's worried we can't make ends meet.  So I started lookng into renewing my teaching certificate and going back into the school system.  However, at this point I need 30 credits to get it back.  Which means nearly 2 years before I could be helpful.  Even then, teaching is not a well-paid profession, so I won't be all that helpful if you take out the money it'll take to get the degree, the money for babysitting while I go to school, and the damage done by putting my children back into the ps system here. 

I had him just about convnced to let me teach them my own way, without k12.

Now with the holidays and his father hurt, I have no way of keeping him from his family.  With his mother and her thinly veiled comments about how a SAHM is a luxury that we cannot afford anymore.  It makes it all the more difficult when my only option to help out financially, immediately is to become the night hostess at a local resteraunt so that we don't have to pay for a sitter which would wipe out anything I made.

I need all the encouragement I could get.  Also a good reminder about what this season is really about.  Because to tell the truth, Sonja, I'm crumbling.  I actually pulled the covers over my head this morning and "hid" in bed untill almost 9.  I just couldn't pull myself together.

Oh, yeah, one more thing. The warm weather has kept the goats out in pastures longer this year and they (or at least 2 of them) have deerworms, they are going quickly.  The 2 smallest are dragging or limping on their back legs already, so we are praying the medication comes in time to save them.  We'll have to treat the whole herd, which means that we will most likely lose all the pregnancies.  No milk, no cheese, and no fudge.... so no extra income this spring.  No extra money to replenish our chickens which got hit heavily by raccoons over the summer.

It's been a long, hard November.... Here's hoping that December is better.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 1, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Oh sweetheart! That is such a heavy load to carry all by yourself! This is all a matter of perspective. Lets see what I can do here...

And I am glad to hear that your FIL isn't too hurt by his accident.  But, it could have been so much worse and you would need to put more attention than you have, on him and help them out more than not.  So the fact that you don't is a positive, right? 

Your hubby got a job. Yay! He can still feel like he is being the bread winner for awhile longer. That is such a big thing for a man.  Also, it is one more experience he can add to his resume.  And, if he got this job, he can get another one. Its just a matter of time.  And with you being behind him giving him the moral support and encouragement  for him to go out and keep trying, he will get a job. 

I'm with you on the make ends meet part. It is very difficult here too.  My hubby has gone back to working 2 jobs and is possibly getting a third.  Is there anything else that you might be able to do? Maybe become a tutor? Teach a class on how to be self-sufficient?  How are you or your hubby with crafting? Could you make a homemade gentleman's pipe? Or something else that is useful?  Do either of you know how to repair computers? Or their programing? Something that would help bring in even a small amount? That is what we do when things get tight. That and a few other things.  

You can't let your MIL get to you like this. She sounds like my mother who is a busy body and doesn't know when to quit minding my buisness or anything else that involves me and my family. :)  One of the things that I have learned to do in the last few years is to just grit my teeth and not even let the world see me sweat! And there were times that we needed help so much but it just wasn't forth coming. Even welfare wouldn't help us out. They said it was because we made too much money the last year or two, so they turned us down. Even would let us have any emergency funds or food.  But you know what? We made it without that help. Even if we were a bit unconventional at coming up with the ways to make ends meet and keep food on the table and a roof over our heads. So in saying this to you, you are not alone and there is a way to get through this.  Yes, lets hope that December is MUCH better. :)  

I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts. :)  You can do this, I have faith and I believe that you can.  And anytime you need some encouragement and support, you just give me a shout out and I will come a runnin'.  :)  Agreed? You better say yes. lol :)  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Well, let's see here....

My FIL was in an accident in his pickup truck (flipped it).  He's bruised but doing okay.

My hubby got hired by a firm 4 weeks ago with the understanding that the job would last 4 months, it actually lasted 4 weeks... they ran out of money on the project.  So back to unemployment.

Now he's worried we can't make ends meet.  So I started lookng into renewing my teaching certificate and going back into the school system.  However, at this point I need 30 credits to get it back.  Which means nearly 2 years before I could be helpful.  Even then, teaching is not a well-paid profession, so I won't be all that helpful if you take out the money it'll take to get the degree, the money for babysitting while I go to school, and the damage done by putting my children back into the ps system here. 

I had him just about convnced to let me teach them my own way, without k12.

Now with the holidays and his father hurt, I have no way of keeping him from his family.  With his mother and her thinly veiled comments about how a SAHM is a luxury that we cannot afford anymore.  It makes it all the more difficult when my only option to help out financially, immediately is to become the night hostess at a local resteraunt so that we don't have to pay for a sitter which would wipe out anything I made.

I need all the encouragement I could get.  Also a good reminder about what this season is really about.  Because to tell the truth, Sonja, I'm crumbling.  I actually pulled the covers over my head this morning and "hid" in bed untill almost 9.  I just couldn't pull myself together.

Oh, yeah, one more thing. The warm weather has kept the goats out in pastures longer this year and they (or at least 2 of them) have deerworms, they are going quickly.  The 2 smallest are dragging or limping on their back legs already, so we are praying the medication comes in time to save them.  We'll have to treat the whole herd, which means that we will most likely lose all the pregnancies.  No milk, no cheese, and no fudge.... so no extra income this spring.  No extra money to replenish our chickens which got hit heavily by raccoons over the summer.

It's been a long, hard November.... Here's hoping that December is better.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Dec. 2, 2012 at 11:02 AM

People are always watching me like a hawk!  They're always quizing my kids.  I'm an easy target for people.  I'm a single mom, I have severe back problems, one of my children has special needs.  Sometimes I think people see how well I do with my kids under the circumstances so they try to find anything I may be doing wrong.  Maybe I'm a little paranoid. :(

Quoting kirbymom:

Oh Yes! I hear  ya'! I battled that alot when we first started homeschooling. It didn't stop for me until my oldest was about 10 or 11 and she proved just how smart she is and that obviously I was teaching her something right. lol  Then my other kids have done the same thing as they each got to a certain age. Now everyone is looking at my younger kids and watching them like a hawk.  Its like we are under a microscope or something. The only difference from then and now is, I am not going to put up with being treated like I am not smart and or capable of educating my kids better than anyone else or the public schools and their teachers with their, most of the time, un-necessary, degree's.  Just am not going to stand for it anymore. I am smart and I am capable. Just look at my kids. That alone will show that I am perfectly qualified to educate them. Even better than. lol  Okay, rant over. :)  

You can write your own curriculum and keep the kids' work as a testament to yourself to show that what you do and how you do it, are working.  That is what I have done throughout the years myself.  I write my own almost every single day and my kids have learned to write their own that meets and exceeds our standards as well.  I think that if I can do it that way, you would be able to as well.  Its not half as bad as you think when you first start out doing it. Its just scary because now you are wholly responsible for everything going in your kids' heads.  Once you deal with that fear, all else is just a small bump in the road and can be dealt with.  :)  

Quoting irvinehiker:

I always feel that I need some encouragement!  This week has gone ok.  Nothing too bad.  I have come to the realization that I just may be an "unschooler."  I bought a boxed curriculum at the beginning of the year and the curriculum is ok, I just feel tied down to it and that I can't let my kids explore their interests as much anymore.  I bought the currc so I would feel like we had some kind of structure and probaly b/c too many people tell me I'm doing the wrong thing when I write my own.  I think I can provide my kids with a quality education without a boxed set.  I have too many people putting their noses into how I teach my kids. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)