Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homemade Yule

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM
  • 22 Replies
3 moms liked this

As most of you know, I'm super frugalout of necessiy, since my DH as laidoff nearly 2years ago. But, we have always done home-made Yule, with only a few purchsed gifts. I'll be adding the recipes/instructions in the replies.

Here is a list of what we will be making this year:  

Family Group Gift - Winter/Cold Baskets

This includes home-made hot cocoa mix, home-made marshmellows, home-made gel ice pack, home-made herb heat pack

Boy Gifts - super hero pillows

Girl Gifts - InfinityScarfs

My boys - hat, mitten, scarfs, and these awesome slippers that look like hightop sneakers -Crocheted Slipper Socks - High Top style crochet pattern

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Home-made Ice Packs -

2:1 Mixture of water & vodka or rubbing alcohol

The alcohol prevents the water from freezing completely.

You can add a few drops of food coloring and place the material in 2 ziplock bags. Or you can place it in 2 bags and then make a fabric pocket. We like the fabric pockets as my kids usually complain the icepacks are too cold.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Home-made heat packs -

We LOVE these as we all get sinus infections real easy. You can use a colorful sock for the fabric if you arent comfortable sewing. Eitherway, once you have your fabric pocket, fill about 2/3 of the way with rice or flax seed. DO NOT USE INSTANT RICE (as it is a fire hazard when heated). Add a few drops (just a couple) of a soothing essential oil (I like using mint when I'm sick).

To heat the pack, place a mug about 2/3 full of water in the microwave, this will add a little bit of moisture to the microwave environment to prevent the rice from burning. Place heat pack in microwave next to the cup. Heat for about 2 minutes. Gently & carefully squish the pack repeaatedly to move the rice around checking for hot spots. Use.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Homemade marshmellows -

Homemade ...

Ingredients

• 3 packages unflavored gelatin
  • 1 cup ice cold water, divided
  • 12 ounces granulated sugar, approximately 1 1/2 cups
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • Nonstick spray

Directions

Place the gelatin into the bowl of a stand mixer along with 1/2 cup of the water. Have the whisk attachment standing by.

In a small saucepan combine the remaining 1/2 cup water, granulated sugar, corn syrup and salt. Place over medium high heat, cover and allow to cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Uncover, clip a candy thermometer onto the side of the pan and continue to cook until the mixture reaches 240 degrees F, approximately 7 to 8 minutes. Once the mixture reaches this temperature, immediately remove from the heat.

Turn the mixer on low speed and, while running, slowly pour the sugar syrup down the side of the bowl into the gelatin mixture. Once you have added all of the syrup, increase the speed to high. Continue to whip until the mixture becomes very thick and is lukewarm, approximately 12 to 15 minutes. Add the vanilla during the last minute of whipping. While the mixture is whipping prepare the pans as follows.

For regular marshmallows:

Combine the confectioners' sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Lightly spray a 13 by 9-inch metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add the sugar and cornstarch mixture and move around to completely coat the bottom and sides of the pan. Return the remaining mixture to the bowl for later use.

When ready, pour the mixture into the prepared pan, using a lightly oiled spatula for spreading evenly into the pan. Dust the top with enough of the remaining sugar and cornstarch mixture to lightly cover. Reserve the rest for later. Allow the marshmallows to sit uncovered for at least 4 hours and up to overnight.

Turn the marshmallows out onto a cutting board and cut into 1-inch squares using a pizza wheel dusted with the confectioners' sugar mixture. Once cut, lightly dust all sides of each marshmallow with the remaining mixture, using additional if necessary. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.

For miniature marshmallows:

Combine the confectioners' sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Line 4 half sheet pans with parchment paper, spray the paper with nonstick cooking spray and dust with the confectioners' sugar mixture.

Scoop the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round piping tip. Pipe the mixture onto the prepared sheet pans lengthwise, leaving about 1-inch between each strip. Sprinkle the tops with enough of the remaining cornstarch and sugar mixture to lightly cover. Let the strips set for 4 hours or up to overnight.

Cut into 1/2 inch pieces using a pizza wheel or scissors dusted with the confectioners' sugar mixture. Once cut, lightly dust all sides of each marshmallow with the remaining sugar mixture and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix Recipes -

Ingredients

• 3 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 1/4 cups cocoa
  • 1 tablespoon table salt
  • Whole milk for serving

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine sugar, cocoa, and salt, and whisk to combine well. Store the mixture in an airtight container.
  2. For individual servings, pour 1 cup whole milk into a microwave-safe mug, and microwave on high just until hot. Add 2 tablespoons of cocoa mix, and stir to dissolve. For a larger batch of cocoa, warm the milk in a saucepan set over medium-low heat, taking care not to let the milk boil; as it warms, stir in 2 tablespoons of mix for each cup of milk.

I like to make a variety of flavors and store them in canning jars -

Dark Chocolate I use Hershey Dark Cocoa, but I also finely chop a couple of squares of dark chocolate and add it to the mix (as it sweetens it a bit). I also crush up a candy cane in order to make Peppermin-cocoa, I will also add a bit of hazelnut non-dairy creamer in order to make a hazelnut-cocoa. There is almost no right or wrong way to do it! 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Knitted/Crochet patterns -

Sneaker slippers - http://www.simplicity.com/t-free-crochet-project-High-Top-Sneaker-Slippers.aspx

Infinity Scarf - Hand Knit...

Materials

Size US 19 (15mm) 24" Circular Knitting Needles
2 Skeins Lion Brand Hometown USA Super Bulky Yarn (or another Super Bulky Yarn). Each Skein is 5 oz. (140 g), 81 yd. (74 m) -- the color pictured is Los Angeles Tan
Yarn Needle
Stitch Marker

Gauge
6 STS and 12 rows = 4 inches in establish pattern [see rows 1 - 3]

Measurements
About 8.5 inches wide and 51 inches in circumference

Instructions
CO 90 STS and join in the round, marking the beginning/end of row

Row 1: [K2, P1] to the end of the round
Row 2: [K2, P1] to the end of the round
Row 3: P to the end of the round

Repeat rows 1 - 3 six more times.

Next Row: [K2, P1]
BO in K2, P1 pattern

Weave in ends and enjoy!

Abbreviations:
BO = Bind off
CO = Cast On
K = Knit
P = Purl
ST(S) = Stitch(es)
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Oh Shannon! I loves those slippers! That is amazing! Did you do that yourself?! :)  Please tell me yes! lol

Quoting KickButtMama:

As most of you know, I'm super frugalout of necessiy, since my DH as laidoff nearly 2years ago. But, we have always done home-made Yule, with only a few purchsed gifts. I'll be adding the recipes/instructions in the replies.

This includes home-made hot cocoa mix, home-made marshmellows, home-made gel ice pack, home-made herb heat pack

My boys - hat, mitten, scarfs, and these awesome slippers that look like hightop sneakers -Crocheted Slipper Socks - High Top style crochet pattern

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Err...yes? Ugh, no, ok. I made a pair, but this is the pic that goes w/ the instructions...lol

Quoting kirbymom:

Oh Shannon! I loves those slippers! That is amazing! Did you do that yourself?! :)  Please tell me yes! lol

Quoting KickButtMama:

Rhiannon1980
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Thank you for the great ideas

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:47 AM

LOLOLOLOL ROLTFLMBO hahahaha heeeeheeee heehee hahahahaha  That's okay. I get the picture.  lol get it? The picture  LOL hahahahahahaha 

I needed this sooooooo much lol hahahahahaha I'm laughing so much I'm crying! LOL  I love you girl! :))))

Quoting KickButtMama:

Err...yes? Ugh, no, ok. I made a pair, but this is the pic that goes w/ the instructions...lol

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting KickButtMama:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Copied and pasted! yay!  LOL *snickers*  sorry i just can't help it. lol 

Quoting KickButtMama:

Knitted/Crochet patterns -

Sneaker slippers - http://www.simplicity.com/t-free-crochet-project-High-Top-Sneaker-Slippers.aspx

Infinity Scarf - Hand Knit...

Materials

Size US 19 (15mm) 24" Circular Knitting Needles
2 Skeins Lion Brand Hometown USA Super Bulky Yarn (or another Super Bulky Yarn). Each Skein is 5 oz. (140 g), 81 yd. (74 m) -- the color pictured is Los Angeles Tan
Yarn Needle
Stitch Marker

Gauge
6 STS and 12 rows = 4 inches in establish pattern [see rows 1 - 3]

Measurements
About 8.5 inches wide and 51 inches in circumference

Instructions
CO 90 STS and join in the round, marking the beginning/end of row

Row 1: [K2, P1] to the end of the round
Row 2: [K2, P1] to the end of the round
Row 3: P to the end of the round

Repeat rows 1 - 3 six more times.

Next Row: [K2, P1]
BO in K2, P1 pattern

Weave in ends and enjoy!

Abbreviations:
BO = Bind off
CO = Cast On
K = Knit
P = Purl
ST(S) = Stitch(es)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN