Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How Many hours a day do you homeschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have 5 children ages, 17, 15, 12, 9 and 7.  I homeschool my 9 year old.  I pulled him out of school the beggining of this year.  He is in second grade and has adhd with odd.  He is doing very well being homeschooled but how long should I be "schooling" him.  Right now I start teaching him at 9 and by 12:30 he is so antsy and tired of doing any kind of work even computer games he gets argumentative and antsy.  Should I try pushing him for longer days or be glad I can at least get him to focus for 3-4 hours a day?   The entire time he is doing his work he is moving and lying in floor wich I don't mind because it is just how he is, but after about 3-4 hours of "school" he is done and wants to be left alone.

by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 2:27 PM
Replies (11-20):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a 9 and 11 year old and we school for about 3 - 4 hours daily.  Sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. 

krisiehb
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks everyone.  Its just all new to me.  He is doing very well with homeschooling Its just I want to make sure I am doing all I can.  I pulled him out because he wasnt learning anything in public school.   

bether89
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Ds is in 4th grade and he usually does about 5-6 hours of school a day.  We don't do a set amount of time, but each day we hava list of assignments that need to be completed.   Some days, he drags around and that is why he takes that long to finish.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 2, 2012 at 6:38 PM

It varies, since we do child-led learning. So some days it might be 9 hours some days only 1, I'm sure it all works out in the end! Lol

oredeb
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

hey if he gets his work done thats great! you dont need any more hours! 9 - 12 is great!

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Most of the time 8 am to 11 am but on Monday we do two subject to takes us til twop,m, but we have an hour lunch break cleaning up eating then math is our longer subject so we do it on Monday because I do not work

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:50 AM

We start school at 8 am one to two school suject a day so we break for lunch at 11am to 12 pm so if we do not finish we we do it after lunch so no more the three to four hours but when it is two class we do 5 hours

coala
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:49 PM

my K and 1st graders work for 2 1/2 hours each day.  That is all their program is designed for.  They spend time working on other things that are educational so it works out to be closer to 4 or 5.  It really depends on the child.

collinsmommy0
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:08 PM
I try to do art (coloring, stickers), a sensory bin, or a cooking activity 3-4 times a week....so 10 minutes? He's 1.5, though.

I agree with ppers- a lot of public school is waiting around & listening to instructions (that take 20 min to tell 30 kids but 30 sec to tell 1 kid at home). I would just set aside the 'work for the day' & try toget through that, with breaks when he needs them (that's what I did when I taught spec Ed - X papers for Lang arts than a break until 10, X math pages then a break until writing, X writing then a break until lunch....we got FAR more work done that way & the kids liked that they got a break. That's what worked for us, you do what works for you
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:26 PM

what are you doing that takesthat much time?? that seems like a lot of time to me. 

i hve a 7yo 1st grader we do about an hour of book work (explode the code and math u see). then he reads to me for a little bit and heads off to play. at this time dad usually gets out the legos or "water car" kit or they head out to build something (this past week they built a bench out of some scraps in theyard). after lunch we have a read aloud time using books on my book list (we just started the first book in the chronicles of narnia). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)