Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

ok has anyone besides the people I have talked to used castor oil to induce labor? I have had an extremely difficult pregnancy this time around.... I am full term... I have no idea if I am dilated or effaced as the doctors here suck and have not done an exam... just to be clear I am not asking if you approve of this method... I am asking if anyone has either 1st or 2nd hand experience... and I do not mean you read an article about a horror story I mean you know a person and this was the out come... good or bad... I have read medical research on the topic and everything so I am not going into this uninformed.... I just would like to hear from folks I know... Inducing with castor oil is safer then all the methods that would be used by the medical doctors at WOMAC so ...if you have any good info... I will be making a decision by about 1 am.

by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
snowangel1979
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:40 PM
Don't do it. LOL.

I tried it with my oldest. Omg I don't think I've ever been sicker and being that sick and pregnant was not fun. A few of my friends didn't listen to me and tried it and all they ended up with was a night in the bathroom KWIM.

What did work was I went for a nice little 8 mile walk. LOL I had him a day and half later.
Walking worked with my second too.

I was swollen like that with DD towards the end. Drinking lots of water helped. Plus she was sitting so low it. I was so uncomfortable. Sitting was even uncomfortable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:46 PM

My BP was low... nice and low, too... but with my first I still ended up preecclamptic.   It was just a tad elevated once, but still very good numbers...   however, when it stayed elevated on subsequent visits, my docs put me on partial bed rest... 

lifesadream83
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Quoting snowangel1979:

Don't do it. LOL.

I tried it with my oldest. Omg I don't think I've ever been sicker and being that sick and pregnant was not fun. A few of my friends didn't listen to me and tried it and all they ended up with was a night in the bathroom KWIM.

What did work was I went for a nice little 8 mile walk. LOL I had him a day and half later.
Walking worked with my second too.

I was swollen like that with DD towards the end. Drinking lots of water helped. Plus she was sitting so low it. I was so uncomfortable. Sitting was even uncomfortable.

Wow! see its not the potty i'm afraid of its that right there the no baby when all is said and done!  LOL

That is exactly how I feel with this dd... she is so low I actually have to have dh help me up or roll because I cannot lean foward!  I cannot sit at the dining table without a pillow either (we have wooden chairs).  

Right now I have two experiences to go off of from cm... yours is one...LOL... So I am thinking I may hold off a couple of more days at least for now... the only other direct opinion I have to go off of is that of one of my friends that I don't really trust her opinion because she castor oiled her babies out at 36 and 37 weeks which to me is just unsafe as the baby is not fully developed...

Thank you for your reply

crystalhend
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:35 AM
Under midwife supervision I look castor oil for the last 3 of my kids and everything went well. I did try it before or at 40 weeks and I was not ready. I had all at 12 days over and before trying it I was not showing signs of labour. It worked for me but not everybody, have you tried evening primrose. Squats help to open the pelvic region.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:49 AM

let us know how it goes life

lifesadream83
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Well, although I was initially leaning towards not using the castor oil I decided to take the lowest dosage recommended by WebMD 15mL about a table spoon and a half.  I had started "clearing out' since we got home from my husband's office Christmas party so I figured maybe things were headed that way anyway.  I would just help it along.  (I also had a deep desire to ensure all bm were completed before the hospital LOL.)  I took it at three am and by 5 am it had kicked in.  No cramping just loose bm.  I was not uncomfortable at all.  I have been alternating between water and propel to keep hydrated.  I am over a gallon and a half right now.  I stopped pottying at around 630.  Got some zzzz's and here I sit typing away.  I figure school will start at 1 today after hubby comes home for lunch.  Which is normal for us lately as I am usually up with the LO moving in me all night and then sleep through the am.  I have no cramping, no contractions and no further discomfort though.  So my opinion... she is happy in there... there is no getting her out LOL... athough a lot of people don't report going into labor for another few hours from the time they took it... I feel no different then normal,,, just less stopped up so I won't hold my breath.  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I so feel for ya!!  I was never "allowed" to go to term.  I tried EVERYTHING to get the ball rolling so that I wouldn't have to have the pitocin, again!  The castor oil only made me sick, crampy, and miserable.  It also spiked my sugar levels (actually the stuff I was drinking to keep hydrated was probably the real culprit) and made my midwife even more adamant to induce.  Blah!

I hope you get to hold your LO soon!

Jlee4249
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 3:28 PM
I had rasberry leaf tea-- it was suggested by a German doctor to induce. It's not too bad with honey :)
walking. Sex. Otherwise, I would not suggest the castor oil, for much of the same reasons expressed by others-- I've heard horror stories.
Best of luck to you.
lifesadream83
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Quoting Jlee4249:

I had rasberry leaf tea-- it was suggested by a German doctor to induce. It's not too bad with honey :)
walking. Sex. Otherwise, I would not suggest the castor oil, for much of the same reasons expressed by others-- I've heard horror stories.
Best of luck to you.

Raspberry Leaf Tea actually is good to drink throughout your pregnancy.  It strengthens your uterus to make labor go easier.  It does not actually induce labor.  We have the sex and walking thing down to a science... nothing works... we have even tried pumping for nipple stimulation... she just is not ready... :(

the.lilangel
by New Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I used it with my first. It did not start labor. It did cause my daughter to have a bowel movement before she was born. At birth she inhaled that meconium. She had to be life flighted to a bigger hospital to have her lungs suctioned. We almost lost her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN