Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When do you give up on certain handwriting quirks with your kids?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:33 AM
  • 4 Replies
1 mom liked this

Cole (8 in Jan.) writes in almost all capitals. I have worked with him on it all year and am not making any progress, really. When do you throw in the towel and decide that it's just going to be the way they write, just like slanting their letters or whatever? Or do you buckle down and really push for proper handwriting?

PS: His dad, granddad and great granddad all write similarly, even though I don't think Cole knows this. LOL How weird? It must be in the DNA!

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Precious333
by Julia on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Damien lives to write certain letters in capitals too, he's 6. We ave a book called "eclectic reader" and it has fancy writing. After we read I have him copy a sentence from the book to practice, and now he starts writting fancy letters like the book! lol (but not all the time, but he thinks its fun). Little by little :)

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I would let it go until he was older see if he corrects it on his own.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Oh mem. I have had this issue with my kids too. When it was really bad handwriting, I had them learn cursive and write everything in cursive. After about a month or so of writing that way, I would have them go back to printing their schoolwork. Then I would switch it up again and again and again until a whole year went by. The following year they had such an improvement in their handwriting that it was remarkable. When writing by hand, they prefer to write in cursive. It really is amzing how much their handwriting skills did indeed improve from one year to the next. Now I only have 2 kids to worry about in the handwriting department. My 2 middle youngsters are going to be getting this real soon as their handwriting needs to improve.  Good luck with whatever you decide.  :)  

Vhx
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Mine has unusual, but beautiful handwriting. She's 9 and her handwriting is much better than mine! She actually did it by printing out pages of her favorite fonts on the computer. She made worksheets for herself in photoshop, ran them off, and traced/practiced them until her handwriting looked like the one she liked best.

Now it's evolved into its own style, but it still retains elements of that font, which I find fascinating. I'm going to try it myself some day because it seemed to work for her!

I'd say as long as it's legible, don't bug him about it. My DH writes in all caps as well, it's never brought him any kind of trouble. Handwriting doesn't really matter past 3rd grade or so anyway, as long as it is legible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)