Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do Your Kids Believe In Santa?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:46 PM
  • 44 Replies

Santa Exists & I'll Never Tell My Daughters Otherwise

Posted by Jenny Erikson

santa clausThis Christmas I have a 9-year-old fourth grader, and as such, I have to wonder if she still believes in Santa Claus. Her 4-year-old sister is solidly on Team Santa, and it was just last year or two that she really started to understand the whole concept.

This Christmas season, I broached the subject peripherally by asking my big girl if she would like to write a letter to mail to the North Pole. Her response was, “Of course! How else will Santa know what I want?”

Touché.

Recently I was chatting with some of my mom friends who also have fourth graders about the whole Santa thing -- specifically whether or not we will keep up the rouse, and for how long.

There seem to be several schools of thought. A lot of these older kids have already figured it out and their parents have come clean. Other moms and dads dread the day when they will have to make the decision to break their kids’ hearts with the truth, or lie to their faces about the existence of Kris Kringle and his merry elves and flying reindeer.

Personally, I’m of the thought that there’s no reason to ever admit The Truth About Santa to my kids. Of course there will come a day when they realize that it’s really mommy and daddy wrapping the gifts and leaving them under the tree, but I’ll never admit it.

Belief in Santa has never scarred someone for life. Prisons aren’t filled with people lamenting that it all went wrong when they found out their parents had been lying about Santa. It’s a harmless, time-honored tradition that can even be used to represent what true giving is: A gift given without need for recognition. Maybe that’s a stretch, but I’ll take it.

I’m sure that someday soon, my daughter will know the truth, and we may even share a wink and a nudge as we work together to keep the Santa magic alive for her little sister. Meanwhile, we have some North Pole-bound letters to write.

Do your kids believe in Santa?

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM

They know the truth but because they still love to play make believe they want to still pretend he is real!

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:02 PM
No, they don't.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
boomom1973
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM

My kids believed in Santa. My youngest is 6 and still does, my 9y and 13y love the idea of Santa, so they still play along for my youngest.

sithmama
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

No they don't and never have.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM

My children know the truth about Santa, but they also pretend as well. I believe in being completely honest, but its ok to pretend as well (imagination is important for children).

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:46 PM

No, we tell them the truth, but that its the actions that make someone a "santa".  I remember how devastated I felt when I learned that this magic really wasn't real. I would never knowingly want to decieve my kids so that they would end up experiencing those same devastating emotions. But, I would never presume to make someone else feel less than, because they choose to follow this....magical fantasy.  

livanded
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:48 PM
2 moms liked this

Mine does, and I don't see the point in having the "there is no Santa" conversation. They will believe until they don't. Then there will still be "Santa presents" it's just fun. 

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM

My kids do...and I've yet to figure out how and why lol. We have only been home once or twice for Christmas and have had to come up with some elaborate schemes to make the magic real for them, whether it be letters under the tree, or Santa created a state wide scavanger hunt and bits and pieces of their presents were left at various houses.... I'm still trying to figure out how we're going to pull off this Christmas for them. This: http://www.magicsanta.ca/homepage.html  has helped a ton tho for them I think.

Emschick38
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:08 PM

In our house they believe in Santa the same way they do Cinderella and Snow White. I believe that fairy tales and stories are very important for them to have to encourage imagination. However, Santa does not bring gifts, he does not come down our chimney, but he does talk to kids in the stores, and he LOVES to have his picture taken (just like Cinderella at Disney world)

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't do Santa Claus in our house except as a story, just for fun... honestly, it's mainly because of our Christian beliefs.   So much of Christmas by the time I was a kid was so commercialized and worldly.    I wanted to equip my kids to have a strong relationship with Christ... not Santa... 

But... that being said, we enjoy all the Christmas movies, stories, and silly traditions..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)