Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Teaching Styles

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:30 PM
  • 33 Replies

Well mom's, we have been learning what our child(ren)'s learning styles are but how about ...

What are your teaching styles? How do you teach?   

undefined

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
swim-mom72
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this

This has changed as I have become more sure of myself as a homeschooler. My teaching styles also change from year to year as my kids get older.

I have always identified most with the Charlotte Mason method. It makes the most sense to me on many, many levels, both as a mother and academically. So, from the beginning, I have incorporated her philosophy in how I teach. Right now, I would say that I am an even blend of CM, traditional and classical.

uriahadel
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM
I am very hands on, we do lots of fun art projects on school material to get her to understand and to remember it, and it has worked great. She puts together puzzles of our united states which is how she learned her states and capitals... we do a lot of worksheets as well and have her practice her handwriting everyday with material she needs to know.. she also do a lot of educational fieldtrips and we read tons of books... I don't know what you call it but that is how I homeschool.. I am very involved in every aspec of her learning. Although there are times I do send her off to the table to do her worksheets by herself cause she does need to learn independence and how to do things herself as well :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
uriahadel
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I am very hands on, we do lots of fun art projects on school material to get her to understand and to remember it, and it has worked great. She puts together puzzles of our united states which is how she learned her states and capitals... we do a lot of worksheets as well and have her practice her handwriting everyday with material she needs to know.. she also do a lot of educational fieldtrips and we read tons of books... I don't know what you call it but that is how I homeschool.. I am very involved in every aspec of her learning. Although there are times I do send her off to the table to do her worksheets by herself cause she does need to learn independence and how to do things herself as well :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BramblePatch
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Right now, after some trial and error with both Charlotte Mason and Waldorf and a more relaxed, hands on approach, we are settling into a workbook type approach and its a great fit for all three of us....for now ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

This is just where I was headed with this post.  

I can say that I have been changed in the same ways myself. I change each year based on the changes in my children and their progress. I am both traditonal and untraditional. Sometimes depneding on the mood and circumstances, I will be more of one than the other.

Does that make sense to you?

Quoting swim-mom72:

This has changed as I have become more sure of myself as a homeschooler. My teaching styles also change from year to year as my kids get older.

I have always identified most with the Charlotte Mason method. It makes the most sense to me on many, many levels, both as a mother and academically. So, from the beginning, I have incorporated her philosophy in how I teach. Right now, I would say that I am an even blend of CM, traditional and classical.

undefined

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:25 PM

May I ask how long you have been schooling? Has teaching school at home changed how you help your children learn or has it strengthened how you already help your children learn?  

Quoting uriahadel:

undefined

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:29 PM

How has your perspective changed form when you first started homeschooling to now? Is it different in a big way or just in  smaller details?

Quoting BramblePatch:

Right now, after some trial and error with both Charlotte Mason and Waldorf and a more relaxed, hands on approach, we are settling into a workbook type approach and its a great fit for all three of us....for now ;)

undefined

uriahadel
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this
No actually this is our first year. She is in first grade so we are actually learning as we go along. She went to school for two years and I was the crazy parent that drove her child to school and walked her to her classroom and didn't really like the teacher... my dd was the child that didn't like her school so it worked better for both of us to keep her home and I didn't think I would have the patient for it or I would even like it but I love it and so does she, and she has learned so much and we do things we enjoy so it makes it easier for her to learn... but right now we are just taking it one day at a time and learning from other homeschoolers and and I call my mom often for advice cause I was also homeschooled and my best friend is homeschooling her child. This is also her first year so we talk every day sharing ideas...

Quoting kirbymom:

May I ask how long you have been schooling? Has teaching school at home changed how you help your children learn or has it strengthened how you already help your children learn?  

Quoting uriahadel:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swim-mom72
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kirbymom:

This is just where I was headed with this post.  

I can say that I have been changed in the same ways myself. I change each year based on the changes in my children and their progress. I am both traditonal and untraditional. Sometimes depneding on the mood and circumstances, I will be more of one than the other.

Does that make sense to you?

Quoting swim-mom72:

Makes total sense to me!! Very well put, as always : )  I would say I am a flexable homeschooler more than anything else, LOL!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Wow. That is so cool that you have such a support system already in place. :)  I think I would have been like you and done the same things if my kids had of gone to a public school. lol  And that isn't so crazy either. Just making sure that everything is okay, is all.  :)  

Quoting uriahadel:

No actually this is our first year. She is in first grade so we are actually learning as we go along. She went to school for two years and I was the crazy parent that drove her child to school and walked her to her classroom and didn't really like the teacher... my dd was the child that didn't like her school so it worked better for both of us to keep her home and I didn't think I would have the patient for it or I would even like it but I love it and so does she, and she has learned so much and we do things we enjoy so it makes it easier for her to learn... but right now we are just taking it one day at a time and learning from other homeschoolers and and I call my mom often for advice cause I was also homeschooled and my best friend is homeschooling her child. This is also her first year so we talk every day sharing ideas...

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting uriahadel:

undefined

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)