Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Grading??

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:23 AM
  • 11 Replies

I live in Maryland, and won't be officially homeschooling until next fall. But I'm trying to get everything set up into a good routine ahead of time. Maryland requires me to grade my sons work. So, I bought a grade book so that I can start getting used to doing it, but I guess I just don't really know where to start with it. I feel like I'm stuck because we do lots of worksheets, and assignments, and my son works well on his own with some stuff, but then we correct everything and review it together. I was just wondering how you ladies do it, I need some suggestions for a good system.

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Uniquecoolio
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:37 AM
I homeschool in MD. We don't have to grade. I just show worksheets, books we've read, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoeMax
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Ok, do you participate in standardized testing?  I thought the website for MD said I should be keeping records, so I just assumed it meant grading. I already keep the worksheets and things we do, so I guess I'm already on the right track with it.

Quoting Uniquecoolio:

I homeschool in MD. We don't have to grade. I just show worksheets, books we've read, etc.

oredeb
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:37 AM
usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:22 PM

We don't do grades are you required to do them?

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I don't care whether I am suppoesed to grade or not but, I do grade the kids on some of their work but not all of it. I don't use a grae book since I am already keeping the work that I have graded, so to me, its a mute point to have a grade book as well. As far as the grading system that I use, I use the one I grew up with. It is close to what today's standards are but not quite. Most schools don't really use this system any mpore because they think its too tough. I like more than just a pat on the head as far as knowing how well i have done and my kids feel the same way. So I grade their work.  

*No offense intended to anyone who doesn't grade their children's work. :) 

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I think you mean moot point. :) Though I like mute point too.

I only grade their math. Every other subject is more open ended. I make notes but not grades. I'm not required to keep any grades. But they actually LIKE being graded on math. I grade them on their 1st try, but then we always discuss the wrong answers and they redo them. But I don't change the grade.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:24 PM

This is my third year of this... and I still don't feel equipped and organized.

I want to start keeping track of grades, but i have so many challenges of my own, that I struggle with it.   I have attention and focus issues, and issues with getting really lost, confused and frustrated easily.   I know it's supposed to be easy, but we have never successfully completed a chart of any kind unless it was a chart that was part of a school assignment itself.

Anything that requires recording daily stuff in... wow, I'm terrible at it!   I can manage to barely keep a log of our work (like Missouri requires) demonstrating the 1000 hours.

Hopefully next year I can start deciding on how to actually give them grades...  I mean, we grade most everything, we just don't keep records of it.

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I am not required to, but I do grade their worksheets, and I grade penmanship on letters and stories, unless it's for fun.

superwoman0105
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I use Abeka and they tell me how to grade stuff.  The most common grading scale they use is to subtract the number of problems missed from 100 and then you go by their grading scale.

A: 95-100

B: 85-94

C: 77-84

D: 70-76

F: 0-69

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:22 AM

That would work if every assignment had 100 problems.   If they have 12 problems and miss 11, then they didn't earn an 89%.   Dollarv stores have grade charts.

Quoting superwoman0105:

I use Abeka and they tell me how to grade stuff.  The most common grading scale they use is to subtract the number of problems missed from 100 and then you go by their grading scale.

A: 95-100

B: 85-94

C: 77-84

D: 70-76

F: 0-69

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)