Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Well...

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:56 PM
  • 9 Replies
Sorry I have been missing! My husband got into an accident Sunday and we have been trying to get that taken care of.
Thankfully he was okay, but the car was totalled. We have been trying to gather funds to get another (used so we can buy cash) but they are not offering a whole lot. It was an old car.
Anyhow, that is what is going on here, what have you been doing this week?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:03 PM
Oh, goodness Nikki! Glad he is ok! Thats the most important thing. Hope you get thecar thing figured out. Soon!
coala
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Sorry about your hubby!!!!

We took a field trip to the Firestation yesterday.  The girls LOVED it.  They got to sit inside the engine and play with the infrared camera.  I learned a lot as well.  We will be visiting Seaworld on Friday.  I am really excited about it.  They have a ton of holiday stuff going on and we are nearing the end of our fun pass.  I will find a way to make that educational too.  LOL  We tried to stop by the local police substation and they said that they didn't have an officer available to answer 4 questions for a 6 yo.  I was really disappointed in the city police dept...more than I normally am.

We got our tree up last night, and my kids are learning about our family traditions as we put things out and together.  They are seeing ornaments that are 4 and 5 genrations old now.  It is amazing to watch their little faces light up when I say that their great great grandmother made that.  I have also gotten a few gifts wrapped.

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Glad your hubby is OK & hope you find a car soon.

We have been trying to finish up Christmas shopping & getting schedule worked out for the month.

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Glad he is OK!!!!! I am sure the car thing will work out.

Just school happening here, mostly. Week 3 of Christian Liberty Press and loving it. The 1st grade is challenging DS, which is what he needed. DD is enoying the preschool, but i need to focus more on her fine motor skills starting next week. She is 12-18 months behind due to hypotonia....but her cognitive skills are a bit ahead, so its about finding the right balance.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I'm sorry to hear he was in an accident, but glad to hear he is ok.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Quoting BramblePatch:

Just school happening here, mostly. Week 3 of Christian Liberty Press and loving it. The 1st grade is challenging DS, which is what he needed. DD is enoying the preschool, but i need to focus more on her fine motor skills starting next week. She is 12-18 months behind due to hypotonia....but her cognitive skills are a bit ahead, so its about finding the right balance.

Sorry to hear about the accident Boobah!

Bramble - same issue here with our 3 year old. He knows his alphabet verbally and by sight, his numbers verbally and by sight, his colors and shapes. He is, by all accounts, ready to learn to read and tested into kindergarten math... but he does NOT have the fine motor skills for ANY of the curricula we've tried. I have explode the code and singapore math on hand, but both are working on "writing" the work and we are so NOT there yet! I'm not sure where else to go with it. I suppose I'll just let him keep on with Starfall.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Thanks ladies! We are so grateful he is okay. It could have been so much worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting BramblePatch:

Sorry to hear about the accident Boobah!

Bramble - same issue here with our 3 year old. He knows his alphabet verbally and by sight, his numbers verbally and by sight, his colors and shapes. He is, by all accounts, ready to learn to read and tested into kindergarten math... but he does NOT have the fine motor skills for ANY of the curricula we've tried. I have explode the code and singapore math on hand, but both are working on "writing" the work and we are so NOT there yet! I'm not sure where else to go with it. I suppose I'll just let him keep on with Starfall.

Boobah, So sorry to hear about your hubby!  Hpe you get it all sorted out soon!

Could you fill a gallon ziploc baggy with fnger paint and have him "write" the work using his finger instead of a pencil or crayon? Tkaes less motor control, gets him eady to write, and isn't messy.  OR  Work orally on math additon problem using manipulatives like Leggo blocks to "show" his work?

What about recognizing coins, skip counting, and time?

oredeb
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:41 AM

awwwww nikki! hows he getting to work? hey dont some car stores even take a wrecked car??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)