Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Something curious....

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:36 PM
  • 6 Replies
DS is almost 5 1/2. I started him on Spelling because he was ready. Last week, he got 100% on both the practice and written tests. Yay! Today, i did an oral run down to start and I accidently missed a word (red). He stopped me and told me I missed red. I was curious, so a few down I skipped legs. Same thing. A few I skipped yes. Again, he noticed. He has written this list once and read it once. Thats it. Could he have a photographic memory and thats why he spells well and remembers sight words after seeing them one time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM

It is a possibility & if that is the case it will make things easy for both of you!

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM
2 moms liked this
Yup. One of my main contenders for the title of spelling bee champ for years had an eidetic memory. I used to tease him and tell him he didn't KNOW how to spell for real. But he picked on me for being short. LOL.
SalemWitchChild
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Possibly. DD often memorizes the list of words so I mix them up to make sure she knows the words and not just parrot back the list.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Same here w/ my DS, he'll read some list once and remember it perfectly, but if I mix it up he gets confused.

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

Possibly. DD often memorizes the list of words so I mix them up to make sure she knows the words and not just parrot back the list.

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:36 PM
I have to mix it up too :)

Quoting KickButtMama:

Same here w/ my DS, he'll read some list once and remember it perfectly, but if I mix it up he gets confused.

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I would say yes. My oldest has that ability as does her father. Say it once and they know it forever. Show it once and they know it forever.  And I made darn sure that that WAS the case too. Even after it had been like that for a year, I still was checking to see if she had that ability. lol She is about to turn 17 and I still check to see if she can remember things. lol  You know what? She CAN! lol  It was maddening for me teaching her at first. I was never sure if she wasn't cheating somehow. But there were times when I would start some new lesson and get side tracked and she would remember exactly where I left off. Always.  It just was so unnerving for me then. Now of course I am used to it, some.  So keep doing what you are doing and then making sure you test in a different way every so often. That way, you can be sure that everything is on the up and up and that you have a child with a photographic memory.  You can also check to see if he does have a photographic memory by asking him where on the page does he remember seeing a word and how many letters are in that word.  

undefined

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)