Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Opinions?

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM
  • 18 Replies

Long story short my son has a rare condition that requires him to get chemo therapy. He only goes every 3 weeks. During the 5 days following his treatment he has to take steroids, which make him very emotional. Every time he tries to do school he gets so over whelmed, he cries easy, and both of us get frustrated. I am very seriously considering just not doing school during the chemo weeks, or at least doing very little or very light work. What do you think? Is this a bad idea? Do we just need to find a way to work through it or is it okay to cut him some slack during this time?

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I think I would do light work and then supplement with educational movies or video games.

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not do work at all (unless it is fun & he wants to do it) that week so he can recover.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:15 PM
5 moms liked this

You know one of the best things about homeschooling is that we get to give our kids the slack they need when they need it.  I wouldn't do any school that he doesn't want to do.  Read to him, hold him, and let him be your baby. 

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM
3 moms liked this

He can catch up later. I agree with the above poster. Read to him, hold him, and let him be your baby. You can do educational videos too. They have some that are really fun.

coala
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

If they effect him that much then do a lighter than normal week.  They effect me as well, except I get grumpy b/c I can't sleep and I don't eat when I am on them.  Every has strange side effects from them.  Cut him a little slack momma.  He will make it up.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I'd say follow your gut. What's the point of forcing learning when he probably won't retain any of it? I recommend getting a fun program like www.time4learning.com. It's something he can do while lying in bed.

rowansmum
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:12 PM
Poor soul. He's learning different lessons those weeks. I'd just allow passive learning those weeks (games, videos, reading etc) its not that he's not learning. He's learning emotional skills/maturity and developing coping strategies. How old is he?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Summerlion1123
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:23 PM
That's part of his problem too is he can't sleep. But he is opposite with food, he is starving those weeks!

Quoting coala:

If they effect him that much then do a lighter than normal week.  They effect me as well, except I get grumpy b/c I can't sleep and I don't eat when I am on them.  Every has strange side effects from them.  Cut him a little slack momma.  He will make it up.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Summerlion1123
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM
It was the stuff he normally enjoys upsetting him today that made me think we need to slow down more. He does this ticket to read thing and it wasn't going fast enough for him or something and it was making him cry. Normally he likes it.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I'd say follow your gut. What's the point of forcing learning when he probably won't retain any of it? I recommend getting a fun program like www.time4learning.com. It's something he can do while lying in bed.

Summerlion1123
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM
He is 7.

Quoting rowansmum:

Poor soul. He's learning different lessons those weeks. I'd just allow passive learning those weeks (games, videos, reading etc) its not that he's not learning. He's learning emotional skills/maturity and developing coping strategies. How old is he?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN