Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Catching on!

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM
  • 5 Replies
2 moms liked this

Yesterday was my first class session with my son and it went great! He learned 7 sights words and his vowels, I noticed though when it was starting get a bit overwhelming for him we took a break and I would do little tests through the day and he caught on real good! It felt great knowing I taught him, and it also made me appreciate teachers. =)  

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Great job!....sounds like you guys are off to a great start!

coala
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Awesome!!!  It is amazing to see how quickly they "get it".  My DD learned nearly 50 sight words in 2 weeks.  It shocked the heck out of me.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Great job, Mama!

oredeb
by debbie on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

yea , good job stayhomemom!!!!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Hi Summerlion!  :) 

Oh my Yes! It is absolutely fine to cut him some slack. And I know where you are coming from in a smaller way as my oldest had to have chemo when she was 3. So I understand the havoc chemo has on your emotions and whatnots on your child and yes, even yourself.  I would say theat if your son wants to do the work, let him. The only thing I would caution you with is this, when he starts to have the outbursts, don't let him *see* that you are stopping because of his behaviour. That will only tend to make his behaviour worse as he realizes the power he is gaining through these outbursts. Rather make a stand with him and then show him that You are deciding to let up on the situation. You can even make it look like you have changed your mind and decided to do something else as a lesson instead. I say this to you as a caution because if you don't remain in control, your son can easily get a bratty attitude. Now I am not saying that that is what is happening or even what will happen but I am saying that it can happen. It did with us. Everyone felt so sorry for my daughter and would giver her everything underthe sun and let her bratty behaviour slide and she got so bad that we had to take a very stern approach with her to help her understand that just because she was going through this and it was having some effect on her that her brattiness is not enough of an excuse all the time. That sometimes it IS okay to feel that way and even behave that way but it is still important to try and behave the best she possibly can.  Eventually the behaviour improved and she quit acting that way. And she went back to learning her schoolwork and everything else that she was learning at the time. I will pray that he only needs this chemo therapy so far and that he will recover quicker than was diagnosed or planned.  You can count on that. :)   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)