Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Any Non-Christian Mothers?

Posted by   + Show Post

Is there anyone here who is homeschooling that is not Christian? This seems to be a heavily Christian group. Just wondering! 

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Replies (41-50):
shadesoflove
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I'm not a religious person and certainly not Christian. However we are spiritual and do celebrate Xmas. :) We spend the holiday as a family, celebrating the year, the ups and downs and coming together to love one another. :) It's just fun with lights and things and SANTA lol. But we are not a Christian household. :)

MissArtsyPants
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I am watching the documentary "Jesus Camp" right now, and they mentioned that %75 of homeschooled children are Evangelical Christians! It's scary seeing children convulsing on the floor, speaking in tongues....

I'm not christian, and I'm not homeschooling. 

krysta.cole
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:45 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm Atheist and raising my children non-religious. I wouldn't hold them back from seeking religion but I teach them about evolution and I figure one day it will be their decision.

elizabooks
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Not Christian here, just a Asatru household. Do the rest of you find it difficult to find religious homeschooling programs in your religion? 

lifesadream83
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:21 AM

We are not Christians.  We use a Christian curriculum but secularize.  There are many people who do that though.  The majority of homeschoolers are believers though and it is hard to find some who are not sometimes.  But we do exist!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Nope, I'm Pagan. We actually have a bunch of pagans in this group...he hehehhe heheh

SusanTheWriter
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Trying to find secular curriculum can be a challenge. The Chem class DD is taking uses Apologia and the Christian leaning in the textbook is driving her nuts.

lifesadream83
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

We celebrate Christmas as well.  You know it started as a pagan holiday right?  We put up a tree decorated with snowmen and snowflakes etc.  We love Christmas music too but I think that is because DH and I were both raised in Christian homes although neither of us are believers now.  We are studying World Religions with our curriculum this year so that DD can learn to accept everyone for who they are and a bit of their beliefs and why they believe.  

When we celebrate Christmas it is about family and gathering and snow and snowmen and the giving spirit and just being jolly in general (we don't do santa either). 

Quoting Mesh2:

If you do not identify as Christian, why is your profile Christmas themed, and why is your avatar a wreath? 

I am asking sincerely, please do not take that as a personal attack! 

Quoting downsouthjunkin:

We are totally secular homeschoolers and our household is definitely non-Christian. LOLsimple smile

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this

Sadly, the predominance of curriculum out there is Christian. As a Druid there are very few curricula available in my field of religion. Instead I just design my own. I've even used Christian curricula and just cut out the 'god' parts (one time I went through and added an 's' wherever I saw 'god' lol) 

Quoting elizabooks:

Not Christian here, just a Asatru household. Do the rest of you find it difficult to find religious homeschooling programs in your religion? 

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

That's awesome mem! As all of those trappings - wreaths, Yule log, decorated evergreens, and candles in windows....even gifts and stockings....were actually taken from the local pagans when they were absorbed into the church during the Middle Ages. So those things aren't really Christian.....which is why you'll see a lot of pagans who have decorated evergreens and we often get snarky remarks about 'oh, so you celebrate Christmas now?' We celebrate Christmas as a secular holiday that is tied to our religious holiday on the Winter Solstice. 

Quoting mem82:

I'm Christian but we teach secular.

Interestingly enough, as a Christian, I do not identify the Christmas wreaths, trees or anything else like that as Christian in leaning. I look at these as celebrating the secular holiday of christmas and the nativity, which I display with my tree as Christmas, if you can make the very fine distinction. My family has always taught that *most* people celebrate a form of the secular version and then only  some celebrate Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa or some mix of the three.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN