Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poll

Question: Would you buy an American Girl doll for your child?

Options:

Yes

No

If I could afford it

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 49

View Results

So, my daughter wants an American girl doll. That is ALL she has asked for this year. Seeing she is 11yrs old and this could be one of the last times she may ask for a doll, I am tempted. However, they are like $100!

My mom thinks I am crazy to spend this kind of money on a doll, but I think hmmmm... this could be a family heirloom. Something she passes down to her child, then hers, etc... Very special memory!

Any thoughts? Anyone have one? TIA :)

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:20 AM
Replies (31-40):
cjsix
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:28 AM

My girls have liked the books and have had fun looking through the catalogs but,Walmart and Toys R Us have dolls that are very simular and in at least one case are made by Madame Alexander,really cute and around $30 and they have extras for them also.

lifesadream83
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:41 AM

we got dd one when she was 4 because I always wanted one... last year we went to the AG store and I got my first one! lol... I got one that looks like her... she never played with hers much until this year... when she really got into it... now she wants the look alike for christmas so we got it for her ... it's in the closet.... 

BunnyGirl82
by Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 3:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you all for commenting! I loved hearing all of your personal experiences :) After careful thought, I ordered her an American Girl Doll for Christmas. I hope she has as many wonderful memories as some of you have. Happy Holidays!

Keri ~ A Homeschooling Mom who is a Student too! ~> A College Student that is !  ;')

BunnyGirl82
by Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 4:11 AM

o' and if anyone was curious, she picked out the doll number F1221 :)

Keri ~ A Homeschooling Mom who is a Student too! ~> A College Student that is !  ;')

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 7:25 AM

This is great!

Quoting BunnyGirl82:

Thank you all for commenting! I loved hearing all of your personal experiences :) After careful thought, I ordered her an American Girl Doll for Christmas. I hope she has as many wonderful memories as some of you have. Happy Holidays!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Missie has one that looks just like her. 8)

Quoting lifesadream83:

we got dd one when she was 4 because I always wanted one... last year we went to the AG store and I got my first one! lol... I got one that looks like her... she never played with hers much until this year... when she really got into it... now she wants the look alike for christmas so we got it for her ... it's in the closet.... 

goddess829
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 7:31 AM

If she'll play with it.  I'd rather buy my kids one thing they will play with than a bunch of little things they will break or never touch.

nicole90620
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:07 AM

i bought the caroline abbbott she is so beautiful and  pretty eyes i love it and i bought it because she is worth it and my favorite i hope i find a friend would like the same thing email me back

nicole

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:25 AM

If my daughters want an American Girl Doll in a few years and show they can care for thier things I will be spending about 400 dollars on dolls because with a book they are a little over a hundred dollars.  I hope they do. I have always wanted one and wish that they would be ready and able to care for one.

Emschick38
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:33 AM

When my DD asked for one at 8 (she had never once shown interst in dolls before this) We went to walmart and bought her a "trial run" doll. They have the 18 inch dolls that kind of look like the american girl doll. She was told if she played with the new doll we would consider it for her birthday. She never played with it. My other two girls are still to young to consider it (4 and 2) but when they are older we will do the same thing.   

If she had played with the walmart doll and asked for the American Girl doll I would have gotten it for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)