Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shingles

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM
  • 19 Replies

My FIL has shingles. I know my DD had the chicken pox vaccine when she was a baby. But not sure if I should take her in for a booster or something?

I don't know if my DS has had his vaccine yet. I know he's had some vaccines but not sure which ones those are. I have a call into his pedi but records wouldn't tell me and transferred me to the doctors nurse, who wasn't in at this time.

I've never had the chicken pox or the vaccine either.

I think the best bet is to just stay away from the grandparents for awhile. But they did just see the kids last weekend so I'm not sure if they were already exposed.

Anyone have experience with Shingles? Is this something I should be worried about?

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
irvinehiker
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Yikes!  That sounds scary!  I have not had shingles but have heard some horrible things about them.  I would stay away!  Does your clinic have a 24 hour non emergency line to call for general info?

SalemWitchChild
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:24 PM

No nothing like that. It's just a small practice. Hopefully the nurse is just out to lunch and she'll call me later today.

Quoting irvinehiker:

Yikes!  That sounds scary!  I have not had shingles but have heard some horrible things about them.  I would stay away!  Does your clinic have a 24 hour non emergency line to call for general info?

the.warden
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM
I've had shingles and all I had to do was make sure my kids didn't touch the infected area. If you want to give them the vaccine go for it, but my children were okay
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SalemWitchChild
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Do you know how long its contagious? We were at their house a week or two ago. I don't remember the exact day so don't know if he had a rash then or not. But it's possible he had it then and he held my son and hugged my daughter.

Quoting the.warden:

I've had shingles and all I had to do was make sure my kids didn't touch the infected area. If you want to give them the vaccine go for it, but my children were okay

irvinehiker
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Yes, hopefully she gets back to you soon!  Things like that freak me out.  My neighbor's DD had foot and mouth disease awhile back and I kept my kids away.  Better safe than sorry. :) 

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

No nothing like that. It's just a small practice. Hopefully the nurse is just out to lunch and she'll call me later today.

Quoting irvinehiker:

the.warden
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:30 PM
I had it for 3-4 weeks. I'm not sure how long it's contagious or if it even is. It was on my side and I just kept covered up, didn't allow them to touch it

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

Do you know how long its contagious? We were at their house a week or two ago. I don't remember the exact day so don't know if he had a rash then or not. But it's possible he had it then and he held my son and hugged my daughter.

Quoting the.warden:

the.warden
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Shingles is contagious to people who have not previously had chickenpox, as long as there are new blisters forming and old blisters healing. Similar to chickenpox, the time prior to healing or crusting of the blisters is the contagious stage of shingles. Once all of the blisters are crusted over, the virus can no longer be spread and the contagious period is over.
KickButtMama
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:48 PM

http://dermatology.about.com/od/infectionvirus/a/shingles.htm

http://shingles.org.nz/

lucsch
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I got shingles 18 years ago when my boys were exposed to the chicken pox. They had been vacinated 2 months before, but they still got a few pox. I had chicken pox when i was about 6 weeks old. The best guess the doctors had was that I did not develop a strong resistance to it. That must have been it, as I have not had a recurrance of the shingles.

I know that didn't answer your question. I have no idea if someone with shingles can give someone chicken pox.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Q.  Is shingles contagious?

WebMD Answers

A.

Shingles is contagious and can be spread from an affected person to babies, children, or adults who have not had chickenpox. But instead of developing shingles, these people develop chickenpox. Once they have had chickenpox, people cannot catch shingles (or contract the virus) from someone else. Once infected, however, people have the potential to develop shingles later in life.

Shingles is contagious to people who have not previously had chickenpox, as long as there are new blisters forming and old blisters healing. Similar to chickenpox, the time prior to healing or crusting of the blisters is the contagious stage of shingles. Once all of the blisters are crusted over, the virus can no longer be spread and the contagious period is over.

undefined

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)