Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All About Reading/Spelling?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM
  • 10 Replies

Does anyone use these or one of these programs? I'm looking around for my son's curriculum next year. He will be in first grade. I've been using Horizons & I like it but was looking at All about reading. I've heard a lot of good about it. It seems a lot of homeschooling moms use it (well at least the blogs I follow ).  

So if you use any of them. . .

do you like them?

Does each level equal one grade? Such as Level One for  All about Reading, does that last the whole year?

Is there writing exercisesinvolved? I know Horizons uses a lot of writing practice with their reading/phonics program which my son doesn't like.

Is it more of supplement or an actual curriculum?

Any help is much appreciated. Sorry about all the questions.

"I'll be home for Christmas if only in my dreams"

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:11 AM
We LOVE AAS! I've never looked at the reading version but hear that they use the same manipulative set.

Its definitely a full Spelling curriculum with each lesson laid out word for word. A lesson, doing it with 2 kids together, takes us about 20~30 minutes when we add in review time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:14 AM
I have not used them. Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:52 AM
This, we love AAS and are on level 2 in second grade. Though, you could complete more than one level in a grade if you wanted.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

We LOVE AAS! I've never looked at the reading version but hear that they use the same manipulative set.

Its definitely a full Spelling curriculum with each lesson laid out word for word. A lesson, doing it with 2 kids together, takes us about 20~30 minutes when we add in review time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
avonleajules1
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:05 AM

For All About Spelling I've talked to the people at the company and they recommend starting from level one and just taking it quickly. That is what we are doing. My daughter is in second grade. We did another spelling last year but are almost finished with level 1 and will move on to level 2 after Christmas. My daughter likes it and is picking up quickly. I think it works well for children who are either visual learners or kinesthetic.

My son has used All About Reading, but he's in pre-K and doing pre-1 so I can't comment on the later programs. He loves it, though.

oredeb
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM

ive not used any of them but have heard great things about both!

esspecially the all about reading! i'd love to try it! so far i havent heard anything negative and i know of 7 moms who are using all about reading

i know this didnt help any!hahahah

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM

We also started AAS "late" and went through it VERY quickly to start.

I didn't start it until DD was in 2nd grade because she misspells even the most basic words. I included my older (then 4th grade) son who has ADHD issues. We went through te first two books pretty quickly. I did 2 or 3 lessons a week and a lot of review and they were still only 30 minutes a day.

We are now in the middle of book 4 and I've slowed down to doing one lesson a week and reviewing it 2 or 3 times.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:35 AM

we love the programs!!  with spelling there is sentence dictation. I'm not entirely sure about reading only because we've only done pre level 1 thus far. for us though, my daughter is already half way through spelling level 3 which we started at the start of the year. we've slowed our pace down a lot and you can do a lesson a week to make it last the year though. I would agree to speed through levels starting at 1. we didn't and just started on 3 and I'm noticing that some of her problem areas now could have been solved in the earlier levels but we have been able to correct them on our own too.... you only need one manipulative set for both reading and spelling. if there are corrections in the manipulative, they mail the new cards to you too. you review words in spelling often and every once in awhile they have you review the mastered stack. all sentence dictation follow the theme of the lesson. you can view a sample lesson on the website I believe... my 3 yr old is practically reading from using the reading program thus far and my daughter's reading and spelling has improved ten fold.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 13, 2012 at 3:08 PM

So sorry. I haven't used them either. Here's a bump though. 

motheroffour186
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I am sorry I do not use a curriculum I have them read a book ask questions about the book they like we read it and find spelling words from all their lessons like math science social studies language arts for a little i use Damand.com password is BOB and www.uottawa.ca/academic/arts/writcent/hypergrammar/ 

sorry I do not I am working on how to do my own for my children next year.

lisayvonne
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:49 AM

I've not used them or heard of them before. I heard of I can read, and some of my friends' kids are using Reading Eggs. For reading, we've been using beestar. It's teacher recommended, cute and challenging. DD rather does 9 hours of the worksheets than watch 1 minute of t.v.

Lisa

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)