• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seriously considering HS'ing, HELP!

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:48 AM
  • 15 Replies

My 5 year old son just started kindergarten at public school this past August. He's doing very well academically, is almost at a 1st grade reading level, loves to color and paint, and is great with math. His teacher is great and easy to work with, and tries to make things fun. He used to be excited about school, but for the past few weeks, he's been fighting me about going to school. He doesn't want to get on the bus with his friends, he comes home from school and is overly grouchy or very quiet. I know he has had some issues with other kids at school (nothing serious) and I keep in contact with his teacher and also help in his classroom. I don't know what else to do for him to get him to be happy with school. It makes me sick to my stomach to think that something or someone would douse his little flame. He should be having fun! It's kindergarten! I don't know what changed for him.

I know in school, the teachers are pushed to teach to pass the standardized tests, which frustrates everyone. They don't get a lot of time to do crafts or paint, or even be outside.

I've talked with his teacher about his attitude and she's told me about (and I've witnessed) him getting out of his chair in the middle of class and wandering around, looking at things, casually getting a drink...just wandering..it's very strange for him. He seems like he's utterly bored and his mind wanders.

ANYWAY, if you sent your children to public school first, how did you know it was time to HS?

Thanks for any help!

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Group Admin on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:55 AM

I knew when my then 5 year old told me that school was a place parents send kids so they can get a break and when I asked why she wanted to go back, we were homeschooling do to a move and she said that she enjoyed helping the other kids understand and do thier work.  I was not happy.  It sounds like your son is as bored as my daughter was.

romacox
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Each situation is unique.  But mothers seen to have a natural instinct when it comes to their children.  So trust your own gut feelings.

That being said, I am biased toward home education.  My children are grown, but I still tutor and give home school and college workshops.  What you describe is what I see a lot of.  Some children can sit at a desk for long periods of time with only a 30 minute recess once a day.  But for many it is pure torture. 

If you decide to home school, following is a free article to help you do that.  How To Home School

travelbunny
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:30 AM

K now here is a lot of work.  They learn Social Studies, Reading, Math, Science, Writing, I think some small things about Government-stuff I didn't have to learn at that age.  It's stupid to expect a 5 or 6 year old to sit still at a desk for 30 minutes per class and be quiet.  How does he do in classwork?  Does he get it done faster than other kids?  If so then maybe he just isn't being challenged enough in the classroom.  Is there any way you could talk to the teacher into giving him more challenging work if he is ahead of his peers?  I know you mentioned he is on a first grade reading level.  Maybe give him reading stuff from first grade or see if he could help teach the kids who are still on K level?  

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Give it a bit more time. A few weeks could just be him feeling the stress, hustle and bustle of the holidays.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Yup! true words

Quoting romacox:

Each situation is unique.  But mothers seen to have a natural instinct when it comes to their children.  So trust your own gut feelings.

That being said, I am biased toward home education.  My children are grown, but I still tutor and give home school and college workshops.  What you describe is what I see a lot of.  Some children can sit at a desk for long periods of time with only a 30 minute recess once a day.  But for many it is pure torture. 

If you decide to home school, following is a free article to help you do that.  How To Home School

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I pulled my oldest after first. She was bored. She was actually losing ground academically and she was starting to act out.

oredeb
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:33 AM

are you sure hes not being bullied or pressured or anything like that?

Crazy_Daze
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I'm not 100% sure, only because I'm not with him all day, of course. He's a sensitive guy though and gets upset if someone doesn't want to play with him or says something mean. Just recently, someone was being mean to him in the bathroom and he told us about it. I talked to his teacher and she found the other boy and the other boy confessed. My son seemed better after that, but has since gone back to being sad and unenthused.

Quoting oredeb:

are you sure hes not being bullied or pressured or anything like that?

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Well said Roma!  :)  

Quoting romacox:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Specifically and generally speaking....

This is something that most people don't realize is the culprit with kids' outburts or change of normal behavioral patterns. The kids are absolutely bored to tears and the biggest reason is because their little minds are capable of so much more than what is being taught to them at one time.  I mean, how can kids get a break when they are being made to act like little adults and sent to schools earlier and earlier and then get spoon fedtheir eduaction like they are somewhat dumb?.  Grr. That is so frustrating for me. Kids are a heck of a lot smarter than they are being given credit for.   

Quoting mem82:

I pulled my oldest after first. She was bored. She was actually losing ground academically and she was starting to act out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)