Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

working and wanting to homeschool

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:36 AM
  • 10 Replies

I am seriously considering homeschooling my 2 kids (ages 6 and 7) and have been looking into how to do that for a couple of years.  My biggest concern is that both my husband and I work outside of the home.  He works full time without a set schedule, and I work part-time (3-4 days/week) with a set schedule.  Has anyone else successfully homeschooled or is homeschooling while working outside the home?  Does anyone have any tips, pointers or resources?  Thank you.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

hi paris,

i worked but i brought my kids with me when i worked, and also homeschooled, yes!! its possible to hs if you work!

what would you do with your kids when you are working?

paris2lmp
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM

That, at the moment, is one of the things I am still working out.  Currently my mom watches them after school and on the saturdays that I work.  She has agreed that she would be willing to help me in any way including watching them full time on the days that I work.  However, she is looking at possibly moving after the first of the year.  If she DOES move, I am not sure yet what I would do.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Lots of people work and homeschool. It sounds like you have an awesome support group, too.

motheroffour186
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

*/do block scheduling that is how it works for our family the days I have off I do one then on classes for the day I have off I do more classes. Count how many hours do you want to work with them a day a set a side for home school a day. I do childcare so I do bring my children to work with me.

motheroffour186
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes I do school on Saturday and Sunday and not do school on Tuesdays and some Wednesday.

usmom3
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

It can be done you just have to be creative with it.

paris2lmp
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I like the idea of the flexibility hs could offer. I work wed-sat and take the last sat of each month off to spend with my kids as it is.  I doubt that schedule would change any if i started homeschooling.  I also only work a short day (10-2) saturdays and 11-5 wed-fri.  I think that would allow me enough time to do at least one lesson in the mornings before work.  Plus, like I said, my mom is willing to help with anything.  My brothers and I were homeschooled off and on a few times growing up, so she has some experience herself!  Thank you all for your encouragement and tips!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM

You can homeschool in the evenings too. You don't have to do school in the mornings or daytime.  And school really doesn't have to last for as many hours as one might think.  ON those days where iys your mom or even someone else, have those days be project based for whatever subjects that can be doone with a project.  

Yes, I agree with the others, you can do this.  Even if you work.  Just have faith and belief in yourselves and your decisions regarding the education of yor children.  It will work out.  :)   

undefined

MethodMom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:11 PM

bumping because I am going to have to go to work in the next year. my husband and I are divorcing. I am trying to figure out how I will work and be a single mom. 

denmomof3
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I am working a full time job and homeschooling my daughter who is currently in the sixth grade.  I like answering these because I like to let other moms out there know that it can be done.  This is our first year and at first I was afraid to try it; however, it has worked out beautifully.  The key is to have support from someone whom your children can stay with when you are away from them.  If you have a family member or friend who is willing to watch them and make sure that they do any lessons that you might have assigned to them.  Remember you can also use evenings and weekends or other days off to play catch up if necessary. 

My daughter does her Math, Language Arts, Art and sometimes PE during the day time.  If she has any vocabulary words for Earth Science she will also work on these while I am at work.  During the evenings, we go over her Earth Science Lesson and Social Studies.  If she is having any problems in Language Arts, we will also go over her lesson.  What has been real helpful is that this was something she really wanted to do so I she is very motivated.  She knows that because I work, she has to cooperate and do what needs to get done during the day time so that it isn't all piled up on us during the evening. 

Another thing that is helpful is that I use curriculum that is all computer based so that the grading is done for us.  I also have her do workbook and writing assignments because I think that this is important as well.  We used Time4Learning for her Art, Language Arts and Social Studies, Switched on Schoolhouse for Earth Science and Teaching Textbooks for Math.  For PE, I take her to our local recreation center every Friday for their Friday day camp (some schools are on a 4 day week here in the community).  She swims, plays basketball and does other recreational activities.  She is also doing guitar lessons that she does through a booklet/cd/dvd that I purchased through Amazon.  I am actually considering signing her up for guitar lessons because we have been slackers with her lessons.  I try to stick very close to our schedule as much as possible because I don't want either of us to slack off with her core subjects.  Some people have a more relaxed approach and I probably would as well if I did stay home. 

We use an umbrella school for keeping records.  We are using The Oaks Private School and they let you use your own curriculum but you have to turn in grades and samples of work.  Since this is our first year home schooling, I felt that I needed that kind of support.   We don't need to be under an umbrella school in our state but I felt that I wanted assistance with record keeping. 

Finally, she is involved with 4H, does the Friday Day Camp and also attends weekly religion classes.  She still gets to see some of her old class mates who miss not having her in school with them.  So far this has been working out for us but I wish you luck with your decision. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)