• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT - croup. Anyone have experience?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM
  • 8 Replies
I'm pretty sure Kayla (6 months) has it. Barking cough, bit of a runny nose, chesty sounds. From my online searches it says it can be treated most of the time at home, which I'm hoping to do so we can avoid even more germ exposure. Plus, I don't have a car at the moment.

Anyone had a baby with croup? It hit her hard last night. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Theo has had it several times! We've ended up in the ER twice in the middle of the night when nothing helped. It was terrible.

Have you tried the steamy shower?

Going outside, wrapped in blankets, of course.

A humidifier, and Vicks.

I'm going to be honest and say that if she is still having the cough during the day, she needs a steroid. I tried to avoid giving them to Theo and he almost couldn't breath by day 4. I ended up rushing him in to the ER.

oredeb
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:29 AM

cool air, sittin up,

Boobah
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Humidifier with eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil with coconut oil on her feet with socks, I'm taking a probiotic with vit c, d, echinacea, and elderberry.
She has the cough when she cries or lays down for nap mainly. She does do better sleeping on my chest sitting up, but I couldn't sleep sitting up last night.

Praying no er visits!! Thanks for the advice, I'll try the shower also :)

Quoting mem82:

Theo has had it several times! We've ended up in the ER twice in the middle of the night when nothing helped. It was terrible.

Have you tried the steamy shower?

Going outside, wrapped in blankets, of course.

A humidifier, and Vicks.

I'm going to be honest and say that if she is still having the cough during the day, she needs a steroid. I tried to avoid giving them to Theo and he almost couldn't breath by day 4. I ended up rushing him in to the ER.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Sitting up definitely helps, thank you! I'll try cool air occasionally through the day.

Quoting oredeb:

cool air, sittin up,

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MButterfly
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM

My middle boy had it when he was about a year old.. I didn't take him in, I just made sure to keep him in a cool area at all times and when he was sleeping I made sure he wasn't laying flat and was nearly sitting up... i also limited giving him a fever reducer, I try to let their fever's run their course on their own which helps kill off the germs.  

If you get nervous at all take your baby in asap!

usmom3
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I agree with the others!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:15 PM

One of the things that helped me when my oldest had it was when I would sit or carry her I would also cup my hand and gently pat her on the back for a few minutes to loosen up what was in her lungs and chest. It also helped her to cough less. And we also made sure the room we slept in was a little cooler at night. It helps you breathe easier.  Other than steroids, you just do what you would do if it were a cold. You can give her some tepid tea or some room temperature ginger ale.  

I will pray that she won't need to go to the hospital.  And I will pray that you have a peace and a clear mind while having to go through this.  HUGS!!  

krysta.cole
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:28 PM

My kids get croup every winter. It really sucks. My 7 month old had it last month. I first took her in the bathroom, tucked a towel in the crack and sat in hot steam for about 15 minutes. Then I put some baby vapor rub on her chest. Lastly I have her sleep in her seat so her head is elevated. Hope you get relief soon!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)