• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New!!

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:27 PM
  • 13 Replies
Hi, I just joined the group. I'm Tasha, we live in southern Oklahoma. I'm a married mom to 3 awesome kids. My oldest is 7, middle is 4 and baby is 16mo. My husband works in the oilfield and works up in North Dakota.

I joined because we have been talking about homeschooling our children after this school year is up. Any advice for me? Next year I'll have a 2nd grader and one in kindergarten. We've been tossing around this idea for awhile now, but the tragedy last Friday in CT really pushed me over the edge of pursuing this farther. I feel that kids in public school do not get the individual attention. Not every child learns the exact same way and that's how the teachers teach here. Anyways, if you have any advice, anything I would greatly appreciate it. Also how do you deal with unsupportive family members?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to getting to know you guys.
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Welcome!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:32 PM
2 moms liked this

You have to learn to ignore the haters, and find a good support group.

I would suggest you get your  4 year old involved in a homeschooling group now so you can make contacts in the community. You can also meet all sorts of different homeschoolers with different philosophies and see how homeschooling works/looks in real life. 8)

usmom3
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Unfortunately there is always going to be opposition either from family, fiends or strangers. You just have to learn to ignore the ignorant.

You are right schools are not about helping individuals thrive they are all about making all the kids the same. Homeschooling will give you the opportunity to customize everything they learn. You mentioned that your Husband works in another state with homeschooling you could go with him anytime you wanted with nothing holding you back just take the school stuff with you.

CowgirlMama0508
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Quoting usmom3:

Unfortunately there is always going to be opposition either from family, fiends or strangers. You just have to learn to ignore the ignorant.

You are right schools are not about helping individuals thrive they are all about making all the kids the same. Homeschooling will give you the opportunity to customize everything they learn. You mentioned that your Husband works in another state with homeschooling you could go with him anytime you wanted with nothing holding you back just take the school stuff with you.

Thank you. Yes, that's another reason we are looking at it. (His work) how would I go about finding groups in my area? I've looked and can't find anything.

Does anyone use K12?
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Hi Tasha! Welcome to our group.  :)

Yes. I agree with mem. You should ignore all those that are not being supportive of you and your husband's decisions for your family.  

Do you know if you want to buy a whole curriculum or buy individually? Or are you wanting to just do your own thing and write your own curriculum? We have moms that do one of those 3 or even do all 3.  

You should probably make sure you know your states hmeschool laws and what you need to do to follow the systems basics for education.  Here are some links for that...

Attendance

Oklahoma has mandatory attendance laws. Children who are over the age of 5 and not yet 18 years of age must attend school. Homeschooling satisfies this requirement if the parents can show they are providing education during the time that the local traditional schools are in session. Although attendance is not monitored by the state, parents should keep a log of work in case the children are reported as truant.

Qualifications

There are no specific teaching requirements for parents who homeschool their children. A tutor is not required. Parents can teach their own children no matter what level of education they posses.

Testing

Oklahoma does not require homeschoolers to take norm-referenced tests. Parents may have their children take standardized tests for their own purposes, but the state does not require them to do so.

Curriculum

Although Oklahoma does not require parents to provide education in any particular subject, the Homeschool Legal Defense Association recommends that all homeschooled students be provided with instruction in math, science, language arts and social studies.

Notification

Oklahoma parents who choose to homeschool are not required to notify the local school district or state of their decision. If a child is attending a public school and the parents wish to homeschool, they should officially withdraw the student from the current school. Withdrawing from the current school will prevent the student from being reported as truant due to excessive absences. A reason for the withdrawal does not have to be given.

Helpful Suggestions

Contact or join a local homeschooling support group to get help in understanding the current homeschooling laws in Oklahoma.

It is a good idea to provide homeschooling during the daytime, just as public and private schools do. School-age children who roam the neighborhood during normal school hours attract attention, and someone may call the authorities to report them as truant.

http://www.homeschoolinginoklahoma.com/gettingstarted/legal.aspx

http://homeschooling.about.com/od/oklegal/Legal_Information_Oklahoma.htm

http://www.ochec.com/Categories.aspx?Id=Oklahoma_Law

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/laws/blOK.htm

Then after brushing up on this, you should probably find out how your children like or need to learn, and what they are interested learning.  Do your kids fidget when they are in learning mode? Do they like to be seated and sit still? Do they like to learn by doing projects?

Figuring these out will get you started.  :)   

undefined

usmom3
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

Quoting usmom3:

Thank you. Yes, that's another reason we are looking at it. (His work) how would I go about finding groups in my area? I've looked and can't find anything.

Does anyone use K12?

Yahoo groups is a good place to look for groups, meetups is another place too.

I don't use K12 or any curriculum for that matter we are a home full of unschoolers/ child led learners.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:01 PM

This is one of the BEST things about homeschool! This is what we did for many years while homeschooling.  :)   It is absolutely awesomely fantastic!  :) 

Quoting usmom3:

You are right schools are not about helping individuals thrive they are all about making all the kids the same. Homeschooling will give you the opportunity to customize everything they learn.

You mentioned that your Husband works in another state with homeschooling you could go with him anytime you wanted with nothing holding you back just take the school stuff with you.

MethodMom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM

My first recomendation is finding a curriculum that you can teach both children at once easily. I use Heart of Dakota. It allows me to teach history, geography, science, bible, and language arts all together. my 1st and 3rd grader do math and reading separately. It makes life easier and it saves money since I am only buying one curriculum per year instead of 2. 

there are other curriculums out there that also teach more than one grade at once. My Father's World comes to mind. 

Kindergarten is my favorite to teach. I love it. It was so much fun. 

oredeb
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:45 PM

welcome cowgirl!!!

i agree with advice for the unsupportive kin, ignore them!

not sure if anyone gave you this website  http://www.oklahomahomeschooling.org/

or there might be something to help here, she lives there and homeschooled her kids

http://www.oklahomahomeschool.com/

check out your hs law  http://homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

romacox
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM

You are so right Cowgirlmama0508...children do not all learn just alike. As a home school  workshop leader, I am asked a lot of questions like yours.  So I put together the following free web pages to answer the most common questions.

How To Home School (gives step by step basics)

Different Methods Used By Home Educators (this is more in depth, and it helps you understand the different learning styles)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)