• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are there days your LO's don't want to HS anymore?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:02 PM
  • 18 Replies

This morning DD told me she doesn't want to HS anymore. I asked her why and she said "just because", which is translation for you wouldn't like my answer. I think it's because I make her work longer than the kids who get off at 3. Though most of the time she gets to sleep in late so it evens out. I also am challenging her whereas in these B&M schools 5th graders are still working on simple multiplication and division. This was why we chose to HS to begin with.

If your HS students said they wanted to go to a B&M school would you allow it?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Mine have said that and I have said just as emphatically NO. Not happening. You will be better educated than the children that graduate from those B & M schools. Period. 

btw ~ I have my kids work longer too and they also sleep in.  So don't feel alone, 'cause your not.  :)  

SalemWitchChild
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:11 PM

OHVA suggests at least 30 hrs per week of work. We do approx 25 hrs. So I'm not making her day any shorter. As is I feel like we're not getting everything done we should be doing.

Quoting kirbymom:

Mine have said that and I have said just as emphatically NO. Not happening. You will be better educated than the children that graduate from those B & M schools. Period. 

btw ~ I have my kids work longer too and they also sleep in.  So don't feel alone, 'cause your not.  :)  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM

My kids probably do that and more.  In fact, right now my 13 yr old and my 15 yr old are doing a report that started at 6,000 & 7,000 words and now they are at a good 15,000 to 20,000 words and their report is an open ended report. 

I am always feeling like we don't ever do enough. But that is because I am always striving for them to be as educated as they can possibly be. In fact, when my kids go to college, I want them to feel like college is a breeze. But make no mistake, my kids are always playing around. Forever playing around.  They have as much fun in school as they do when they aren't doing actual school work. lol  

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

OHVA suggests at least 30 hrs per week of work. We do approx 25 hrs. So I'm not making her day any shorter. As is I feel like we're not getting everything done we should be doing.

Quoting kirbymom:

undefined

bluerooffarm
by Group Admin on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:25 PM

My 5yo has made that statement.  Thankfully I have my 7yo who went to the B&M to tell him how much he would HATE that school.  No, PS is no longer an option.  They do not know what is best for them, that's my job as a parent.  Maybe when they get up into the high school years, I would allow them to go to a private school, but at this point I know what the local school is like.

My kids work from 7-2 every day with a half hour break for lunch, so they are getting more than 30 hours each day.  But I can also remind them that there would be no Spanish class and no Music class at the B&M.  They wouldn't be able to choose their own books, choose when they do their lessons, choose to do their lessons laying on the floor or in the bed.  That their science and history lessons would be reduced to once a week.  There are so many positives that they don't even think of when they make that statement.

Good luck!

oredeb
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:53 PM

never had one say they wanted to go to ps,

and no if they said that i most certainly wouldnt let them!

so you work about 5 hours a day for one child?

kittyfaery
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:17 PM
My 9 year has been alternating between wanting to go back to his school and wanting to quit school altogether. I know it has been an adjustment for him so I told him to give it a year and we will reevaluate. The thing is he just wants to be lazy and is getting mad because I actually make him try to do his best.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I think my DD does b/c she misses having friends to play with on a daily basis.  She more than makes up for that socialization on Saturdays.  My answer to going back to PS is always a resounding NO.  I make these decisions not them.  They will thank me when are adults and leading good productive lives.

Proud-young-mom
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:31 AM
My son has also said that. But at age 5, he is impossible to make any decisions regarding his education. Ps is Not an option. We dont live in a gd area. And the schools are terrible. When we move, maybe I then will consider it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Nope, they are having too much fun.  LOL  I wouldn't let them make that decision before they hit high school.  They need to be old enough to understand the consequences of their actions.  I would work on finding out why and then just address it.  Honestly my main focus is not the 3 R's but creativity, imagination and curiosity.  We cover the 3 R's but imagination and curiosity are so much more important.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I'm the odd ball out here - yes, if my older (middle school aged) child asked to go back, I would allow it (though not to public; it would be back to the Catholic school).

She still wants to stay home until high school (my dd).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)