Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschool co-op

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:40 PM
  • 16 Replies

I have a question... I have two sons one is 7 and in second grade the other 4 in preschool. I provide child care in my home for children 0-3 and work 12 hour days doing that. I want more than anything to keep my kids out of school and in some kind of homeschooling situation. My 7 year old is in a private school now and we have had nothing but problems there and the public school here is NOT an option. Does anyone know of any kind of co-op type situations where perhaps I could provide child care to younger kids of a group other moms provide a school group situation? Don't even know if that kind of thing exists but I am certainly interested if it does : )

Rachel

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Hi Samsmommy. Welcome!  :)  

You should try searching up co-ops on yahoo groups. They have several. You can also go a google search for your local town. You can also check with your local library.  Sometimes asking a well placed question or two will reap all kinds of answers.  

undefined

Boobah
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Some people enjoy classicalconversations.com and they are pretty wide spread.  You can also look into yahoo groups, facebook groups, look up your city/state on google and put in homeschool co-op after it, start your own too!

usmom3
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM

There are all different kinds of Co-ops so I bet there is something like that out there it just may not be in your aria. You could always look in to starting one that is like that.

MethodMom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM

are  you looking for someone else to teach your child in exchange for you babysitting their kids? Is that what I understand you to mean? I am not sure if that is possible. You may have to look up the laws in your state. Some states do not allow you to teach a child that is not your own unless you register as a private school. hmmm..? 

oredeb
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:49 PM

that does work! try to find a coop in your area and talk to them

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sure you either find a co-op like that or create one. I'm going to be honest though - if I had my child in a home child care setting, I wouldn't want them attending a co-op with the sitter.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

motheroffour186
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Hello I do homeschool with my childcare and I let my childcare parents families know what I am thinking what I going to do.

http://www.havingfunteaching.com/

songs for school and childcare children as well.

Then I do

Damand.com

password:BOB

most of our day is about learning. I have books blocks(colored block as well) shapes educational programs Leapfrog number games abcs games.

P.N._Guin
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:28 PM
Are you wanting to bring you child care kids with you to co-op, or have child care for your own during?

If you're looking for the latter, both co-ops I have been a part of have had child care available for kids under K. A member would sign up to watch kids, just as they would sign up to teach a class.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
swim-mom72
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM

yahoo and HSLDA are good places to start a search for what you are looking for.

we participate in a national co-op called First Class. it is a national Christian homeschool ministry with local branches. we provide classes one day a week for ages 0-18.

hipmomto3
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:07 PM
You just have to see what's available in your area.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)