Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you teach siblings at different learning levels??

Posted by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 6:45 PM
  • 14 Replies

I am struggling with getting everyone working one something at the same time. I have a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 2 yr old. And my 7 yr old is extremely smart but needs one on one attention all the time. And since my 4 yr old and 2 yr old are really young they need one on one attention during school work. So I struggle with how to give everyone the attention they need. Lately I have been just teaching my 7 yr old and neglecting my other kids education. The reasoning is because I was doing one child at a time, but I was working on school from 8am-until 6pm. And there was no fun really in between! So any advice would be great. I would love to be able to work on school for a few hours a day, and feel like i am teaching all of them together in a since!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years from my Family to Yours!

by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 7:08 PM
2 moms liked this

well i can tell you what i did with my kids,

the 2 yr old and the 4 yr old, i let play color, or play with certain stuff during the time i needed to help the older kids, they were trained by the end of the year!hahaha when i handed them a certain toy they knew i needed time to be with one of the older kids

also with the 4 yr old you can do work with him/her when your older child is busy with something they can do alone, let the 2 yr old hang around also when your teaching the 4 yr old, its ok if you can give them one on one right now,

if you need to hellp the 4 yr old you can have the older child play with the 2 yr old

also you can school the older one in the mornings, and the 4 yr old in the afternoon, and let the older child tend to the 2 yr old

schooling the 4 yr old shouldnt take more than an hour!

the 7 yr old should take a couple hours, and the 2 yr old doesn't really need to be doing anything academic! just playing!!!! having fun!!!

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 23, 2012 at 7:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Deb has given great advice! I was going to say with each subject try to find corresponding work for each child's learning level.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2012 at 8:25 PM
2 moms liked this

They are learning.  Just being there is plenty for the 2 year old.  They are learning more than you think.   I was joking with my 3 year old one day and told him he was done growing and didn't need to eat.   He got very sad and protested.  He told me he still had cartilage in his bones.  He was listening the whole time I was working with his brother.  He would come in and out listen for a few minutes and then leave.  I would work with your oldest the most.  Make if more hands on fun things at this age.  You can teach Math using legos and make learning available for everyone.  The 4 year does not need more than 1 hour sit down work per day.  You could do 30 minutes at a time even depending on his attention span.  Here is a great website for learning with legos.  Good luck and have fun.

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2012 at 9:16 PM
My kids are only 11 months apart but they are worlds apart in learning. Sigh.

DD is 4 1/2 and learned best through literature. She retains almost everything that is read to her. She also has some (improving) fine motor delays.

DS is 5 1/2 and accelerated a bit. He is reading two levels ahead and doing every other subject a year ahead. He learns best with workbooks and by "doing".

Right now I teach them 100% seperately. DS goes first and DD plays with puzzles, dolls, crayons in a seperate room. DS does petralingua spanish on the computer while I teach DD. I want to combine them next year but I don't see how.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I have taught several grade levels together  using the game Ring Around The Phonics.  This article explains explains how it works:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM
4 moms liked this

What I do w/ my kids is this: I will read a lesson or book or whatever then hand out assignments related to that topic. So lets say I read a book on volcanoes. We'd then all build a volcano together while discussing it. Then I might hand out assignments, like my eldest has to read a book on volcanoes and write a couple of paragraphs on them. While my youngest can paint a picture of the volcano.....etc. See? We are all doing essentially the same thing, but the kids are doing work at their own levels.

My rule of thum is - 10 minutes of one-on-one instruction per year old of the child. So a 2 y/o gets 20 minutes spread through out the day. A 4 y/o gets 40 minutes, an 11 y/o gets 110 minutes, etc. Do they do non-one-on-one sure but usually we're all gathered at the dining table or on my bed working the same subject together.

You can read what our HS is like = http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/search?q=defining+our+hs

MButterfly
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't teach my children under the age of 4.... they really learn a whole lot more through play and arts/crafts. 

We got a little creative with our kids... with the oldest whose in 3rd we have him do his basics in the AM, he does his math, writing, and spelling... that's completely independant work.. doesn't need me to sit with him.. I check it a few times a week to make sure he's on track and that works well...  soon our 5 y/o will start the same thing.. he already completed his k curriculum within a few months this year.

as for science, we do creative projects, i get them interesting looking books, games.. electronics kits...etc... we watch special documentaries on bugs/animals/geography...

for history, I buy them books to read on their own time for them to enjoy... we also read to them from various biographies before bedtime... well my dh does that... I prefer to read them more famous stories and such that are fun. 

With having multiple ages of children, we have simply learned to think outside the box.. there's no reason homeschooling has to be at the table.. the goal for us personally is to teach our children to want to learn and enjoy it as a day to day lifestyle.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 24, 2012 at 8:05 PM
You might consider doing one subject at a time and have the lesson tailored to each child's level. More difficult questions for the older sibling and less difficult questions for the younger sibling. But one subject. You can do the same principle with most subjects. It just takes some creative thinking. Basically what I mean is...you just have to rack your brains. lol But that is what helps the creative juices, right? :)

Quoting BramblePatch:

My kids are only 11 months apart but they are worlds apart in learning. Sigh.

DD is 4 1/2 and learned best through literature. She retains almost everything that is read to her. She also has some (improving) fine motor delays.

DS is 5 1/2 and accelerated a bit. He is reading two levels ahead and doing every other subject a year ahead. He learns best with workbooks and by "doing".

Right now I teach them 100% seperately. DS goes first and DD plays with puzzles, dolls, crayons in a seperate room. DS does petralingua spanish on the computer while I teach DD. I want to combine them next year but I don't see how.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JulieBrown
by Member on Dec. 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM

This is my single biggest struggle as a homeschooling mom.   Most of the time I spend 1 on 1 time with my kids while the others are working on a project, reading or playing games. 

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2012 at 7:35 PM
Here is what works for me. My children are 5, 6, and 9.

We start the day with things we do all together. Calendar, language lesson (well trained mind), some days I read aloud while they draw or do a coloring sheet related to what I'm reading. This time together usually lasts 15-30 minutes.

Then they do individual (grade level) work. I only have my K & 1 do math and reading individually; my 4th gr has those plus geography, handwriting, and reading novels or biographies. I help the K & 1 with their math (go back & forth between the 2 of them). When they finish I work with them 1 at a time in another room (for quiet) on reading. Math=about 20 minutes, Reading=about 10-15 minutes. The 4th grader works on her subjects and I help her as needed. Then we usually take a break - go outside if its nice - and then the oldest finishes her work for the day while the other two play quiet things (no screens til after lunch on school days).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)