Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Child Lead Learning Question?

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:02 AM
  • 19 Replies
I have a couple questions for the Child lead learning families in the group.
Do you let your child lead in all subjects or do you require them to do certain subjects such as math, reading and writing at a certain time/speed?

How does it work for your family? Do you ask them what they want to study that day or prepare unit studies or what?

I am asking these questions because of my son. He is 7 and struggled to catch on with school for a while. He is now reading and does well in math..however he loves to learn on his own (meaning he loves to choose what he learns) I hate to see that look of dread on his face when I tell him it is time for math or writing or reading. I realize these subjects are important, that is why I am asking how you all do it.
This past week we have been on a break from school for winter break. He has learned so much on his own with me just helping him when he asked! This morning we sat down for half an hour with his new science book (he asked for it for Christmas) and he absorbed it all like a sponge! I love seeing him absolutely love to learn like that.
I have seen some families who do math two to three times a week at the young ages to keep them moving along but also leave lots of time for for them to learn on their own.
He has also really struggled with grasping spelling and some of the writing. I do not think anything is necessarily wrong, I think his brain is just not ready yet.
I guess I am just confused and I worry that pushing him along like we have been doing is going to kill his love for learning. I already see it happening. But then, I also worry about 'slacking off'
Part of me wants to throw out the way we have been doing school and try something completely different for a little while. We would still work ahead slowly in Math and Reading. But push writing and spelling to the back burner for a while. As much as I hate to halt our progress he is only 7 and I want him to have fond memories of learning at home as a child.
Sorry if I am rambling.
Anyone have any advice or tips?
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:51 AM
In our home almost everything is done because the children want to do it. We try very hard not to break things in to subjects because you can never truly separate them from each other. Some days my kids are asking tons of questions about tons of different things & we are chasing rabbit hole all day. Other days they are content to play with their Legos while watching TV shows . I don't worry to much about whether they are learning the same stuff as the kids in PS, I am more concerned about them learning how to Learn so that no matter what they want to do in life they will have the skills to learn how to do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Math and writing /reading is required in my house every day. Everything else they get a say, for the most part. Lots of time I ask for a list of things they would like to learn and make a few unit studies. I also keep a running list of things I noticed they enjoyed. We always go down the rabbit holes, too. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I consider us child led learners.  We also use curriculum.  My kids are free to ask to do something different.  They also need to love whatever curriculum that we use.  Every year I ask them what areas of history and science they are interested.  If my kids ask question we will put our scheduled work aside and delve into what they are curious about.  Just be flexible and not afraid to go off the beaten path every once in awhile.  

jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:56 AM

We are  very similar.  I do let them go off the beaten path with Math quite a bit.  Our rabbit hole is actually a ground hog  hole.  We just found this past week and it is huge.

Quoting mem82:

Math and writing /reading is required in my house every day. Everything else they get a say, for the most part. Lots of time I ask for a list of things they would like to learn and make a few unit studies. I also keep a running list of things I noticed they enjoyed. We always go down the rabbit holes, too. Lol

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Quoting usmom3:

In our home almost everything is done because the children want to do it. We try very hard not to break things in to subjects because you can never truly separate them from each other. Some days my kids are asking tons of questions about tons of different things & we are chasing rabbit hole all day. Other days they are content to play with their Legos while watching TV shows . I don't worry to much about whether they are learning the same stuff as the kids in PS, I am more concerned about them learning how to Learn so that no matter what they want to do in life they will have the skills to learn how to do it.

Do you live in a state that allows you to do this? I am in Ohio and we have to either do a portfolio at the end of the year or take a test to prove that we are learning.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:04 AM

LOL

Quoting jen2150:

We are  very similar.  I do let them go off the beaten path with Math quite a bit.  Our rabbit hole is actually a ground hog  hole.  We just found this past week and it is huge.

Quoting mem82:

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Quoting mem82:

This is what I am considering to a certain extent for the rest of this year for a trial and error.
I was looking at the state requirements for 1st grade last night. He has already done everything in Math this is required for 1st grade, he is also spot on in reading. He is definitely not up to speed with the language/spelling area. Which I already figured that.
I am considering focusing on Math 2-3 times a week in short increments and having him read to me daily, plus some sight words. The rest will be what he chooses to learn for now. I just feel like we have hit a mental road block in writing and spelling. He gets upset and frustrated with it every time we sit down. So I think we are going to give this a try for about a month and then reassess.
The only thing that worries me is the test/portfolio at the end of the year.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:13 AM

What state are you in? In Ohio we do testing or portfolio, too. It's not nearly as scary as it sounds. I recommend the portfolio for his age, unless you plan to do practice tests with him several times.

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Quoting mem82:

This is what I am considering to a certain extent for the rest of this year for a trial and error.
I was looking at the state requirements for 1st grade last night. He has already done everything in Math this is required for 1st grade, he is also spot on in reading. He is definitely not up to speed with the language/spelling area. Which I already figured that.
I am considering focusing on Math 2-3 times a week in short increments and having him read to me daily, plus some sight words. The rest will be what he chooses to learn for now. I just feel like we have hit a mental road block in writing and spelling. He gets upset and frustrated with it every time we sit down. So I think we are going to give this a try for about a month and then reassess.
The only thing that worries me is the test/portfolio at the end of the year.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Quoting mem82:

I am in Ohio as well.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:30 AM

The portfolio option is very easy and simple, especially if you are using a homeschooler friendly teacher. From here on out, keep a few of his projects, take pictures of some more, keep a list of field trips or random classes, and a list of books he read. That  will be more than enough to satisfy the requirements.

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Quoting mem82:

I am in Ohio as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)