Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I don't want to discourage reading, but...

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:49 AM
  • 24 Replies
It is ALL my 7 year old dd wants to do. She wakes up, walks out of her room reading a book. All morning, all afternoon.
She doesnt get her chores done without prodding.
I want to say "no reading for 2 days" or something, but I dont want to discourage her from reading. I just want her to be part of the family and see her face every once in a while. Lol! She lays under the couch and reads all day because its the only place her sister cant get to her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SusanTheWriter
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM
5 moms liked this

Welcome to my world! I wouldn't discourage reading at all, but you can definitely set some limits on it.

"This must be done, then you can read for half an hour."

"You have to do XYZ first, then you can read."

"No reading at the dinner table."

Those are all perfectly reasonable expectations and they teach her that although reading is awesome, wonderful and valuable, there are other things that have to be done first.

I'd read all day, too, if I could!

KLove_Mom
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:15 AM

We love to read bedtime stories to our preschooler, but we tell them, "if you don't get your pajamas on and brush your teeth right now, you don't get any books read."

Boundaries are good for kids in any areas. I too get caught up in books and just want to read them all day, but there are certain obligations I have to my kids and the household. That's not a bad thing to teach her now. 
Just let her know things like, at 2 pm you have to do your chores, and when they are done you'll have free time to do whatever you want, including reading, until 5 pm when I need your help getting ready for dinner.

That makes it a reward for doing her chores on time and quickly without complaining.  

oredeb
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:19 AM

dont discourage it!! i was just llike that! i still am! but i know when i can and cant thanks to my parents

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:11 PM
Don't discourage , you have no idea how much I wish my 9y/o was like that instead of hatting to read & thinking it boarding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:19 PM

That is my 10 year old I have to ask her every two hours can you clean up the living room. Then two hours lets watch TV together. Sometimes even to do school I have to ask her can we do school then she can read. Her brothers and sister wants to play with her or talk to her and she will not put down the book she says she did not here them. I the way she be in the book I can see that is so true. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Exactly what Susan said. 8) my oldest is a reader, too.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Welcome to my world! I wouldn't discourage reading at all, but you can definitely set some limits on it.

"This must be done, then you can read for half an hour."

"You have to do XYZ first, then you can read."

"No reading at the dinner table."

Those are all perfectly reasonable expectations and they teach her that although reading is awesome, wonderful and valuable, there are other things that have to be done first.

I'd read all day, too, if I could!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:21 PM

My daughter just started doing this.  Some days I feel the same, but I just leave a list of things I expect done, if they don't get done, she gets things taken away and she knows it.  My daughter is older than yours, starting her off knowing that things need to get done before she can continue reading is a good idea.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:11 PM
I have to talk to my daughter about moderation (regarding reading) and discuss that she wants to live a life where she goes out and experiences stuff, too. I ask her sometimes if she wants to grow old someday and look back on her life thinking about all the adventures she's read about or all the adventures she's experienced herself?? I remind her that she should go experience things other than reading and maybe someday she can write about her own adventures for some little girl to read about. Yes, I do ask her to put the books away for a while, sometimes. Also, when we ground her from anything, it doesn't matter unless we ground her from free reading, too.
wowguildmomma
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I was this kid i think growing up. When I was grounded they would take away all of my books. Boundries are good and don't discourage readers. I still love reading everybit now as i did back then

elizabooks
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:21 AM
I was that kid, mymom would do random sweeps of my room and clear out books. I hated that. She set up a reward system: if I did my chores without being prompted, I could read outside. If I did all of mychores and helped my brother do his, I could spend 1/2 hour on Friday at the library andcheck out three books of mychoice and one that the librian chose. I was even allowed to pick an easy book and we had a book discussionatdinner.
I was told toread cookbooks and help plan the meals for the week.
Perhaps you could let her read one of those "cooking mysteries"and then have her cook the dish? (davidson wrote 10 of them) or have her read a gardening narrative ( Rex Stout 's sister wrote a very humorous one ) and plan a garden based on it? Or have her adjust the rules of a board game to match a book. (after reading about Capone & the gangsters my brother rewrote monopoly - using two boards- to have gun running, bribes, and bootlegging)? You can also have her read a book and watch a movie based on it and then have a discussion of how or translates in to visual media. (Dracula is great for this - so many versions. Tom Sawyer, Voyage to the Center of the Earth, Around the World in 80 days are others. )
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN