Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you feel bad?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:08 PM
  • 38 Replies
Do you feel bad when/if your kids say they want to go to school? They don't get a choice when they are little in my opinion, but I still feel bad. They have fun homeschooling but 2 are such social butterflies that they always say they want to be in school with the neighborhood friends they play with. I don't want them there but I feel so bad....will they grow up to hate me for this decision?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine dont want to go to school, but thats probably because julia has been in public school for k and remembers it. Chels may have the desire once she is older, but like you said, its not uo to them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TxMommyOfBoys
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:50 PM
Mine have never said that.
usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine only said that when they where really little & everyone kept asking them when they where going to go to school! Now that they are a little older & understand the TV shows & cartoons that show school they say if school is even a little like the shows portray them they never want to go!

coala
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I let my kids have outlets for hanging with other children.  School isn't a place to socialize.  This is their education that I am dealing with....and that is WAY more important than their socialization.  My kids get plenty of socialization, but when we have the time to squeeze it in.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Aww ~ You don't need to feel bad. Most kids don't have the ablity to "see" the depth of the negatives as a reason to not be able to do "anything".

BTW ~ My kidz felt the same way until they met some public schooled children. When my kids saw how the ps kids didn't even have a vocabulary past a few grades, they changed their minds. When they saw how unruly those kids get, they said they never wanted to go to public school. I could go on but then this would turn into a bashing and that is not what I intend to do by my posting.

Also, kids do not always know what is best for themselves as they can not see the forseeable consequences of their's or anyone else's actions. They see what is here and now moment not down the road later path
SourRoses
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:51 PM
They won't grow up to hate you but might resent you for taking away that experience.

My mother forced me to go to a private school. I have always resented her for making that choice for me. At least she let me choose when I was in high-school.
SourRoses
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:53 PM
I'm sorry but I believe It's pretty judgmental of you to assume all ps children are not as smart as hs school children. Do you really believe that?

Quoting kirbymom:

Aww ~ You don't need to feel bad. Most kids don't have the ablity to "see" the depth of the negatives as a reason to not be able to do "anything".

BTW ~ My kidz felt the same way until they met some public schooled children. When my kids saw how the ps kids didn't even have a vocabulary past a few grades, they changed their minds. When they saw how unruly those kids get, they said they never wanted to go to public school. I could go on but then this would turn into a bashing and that is not what I intend to do by my posting.

Also, kids do not always know what is best for themselves as they can not see the forseeable consequences of their's or anyone else's actions. They see what is here and now moment not down the road later path
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:20 PM
As more and more of today's society shows that more than 50% of today's children are not being schooled properly and are not learning how to become well equipped adults, that is not an assumption but a truth and an unfortunate reality. I certainly believe that children are very smart but if they are not taught to love learning and to be capable of being the best that they can be, then they certainly won't act that way. Children need guidance and discipline in order to flourish. And children left to their own devices usually, not always, usually lead themselves to trouble. I don't like this any more than the next person but there is more trurh in the words I speak than not.

Quoting SourRoses:

I'm sorry but I believe It's pretty judgmental of you to assume all ps children are not as smart as hs school children. Do you really believe that?

Quoting kirbymom:

AriannasMommy84
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:49 AM
My oldest doesn't want to go back to public school. She was homeschooled from advanced kindergarten-1st grade...went to the school on base for 2nd and was so bored. She is very advanced. ESP in reading. By the end of the school year last yr she was 12grade reading level. The school we are going through asked if I wanted to skip 3rd grade and put her in 4th bc her cat scores were excellent.

I won't put my kids in public school until jr high/high school IF they want to go.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, I do give my children a choice when they get a bit older (my 11 year old has a choice, every year), so no, I don't feel badly about it. If she expressed that she wanted to go back, she would know it needed it to wait until the next school year, but I would allow it. When they're younger than that? I would probably remind them that in a few years they would be allowed to make that decision for themselves, so no need to harp on it now.

Public school isn't on the table though, at any point. That's the compromise - if they want to go, it's to Catholic school.

I want my children to own their education. I can't ask them to own something they have no voice in.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)