Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Has anyone else changed from how they first started schooling??

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM
  • 26 Replies
When we first considered homeschool we thought we would go k12.com
Thankfully we realized it was not for us before signing up.
so we started out classical with a charlotte mason flair.
Then more charlotte mason, less classical.
now we are using the waldorf method, which leans a bit toward unschooling and is somehwat similar to both charlotte mason and montessori.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Pushed enter too soon :)
i just think it is so interesting how things can change so much. This is only our second year. We are really enjoying the waldorf method, it feels like home. Though we do add our own personal touches. I think that is what makes homeschool work. Not following any one thing too closely and making it work for your family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TxMommyOfBoys
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes maam. At first I wanted "school at home" and we have learned that we all do better with a more relaxed school atmosphere :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:34 PM
Oh my yes yes yes. lol p I have changed how I have taught my kids all the way through the years.
I have never changed the subjects but only HOW I taught them. Maybe even added some subjects along the way.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:37 PM
That is absolutely Why homeschool works so well for so many. Love the post. :)

Quoting Boobah:

Pushed enter too soon :)

i just think it is so interesting how things can change so much. This is only our second year. We are really enjoying the waldorf method, it feels like home. Though we do add our own personal touches. I think that is what makes homeschool work. Not following any one thing too closely and making it work for your family.
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

For k-4th grade for my daughter we used a box curriculum.  5th grade I tried text books and workbooks. 6th grade I tried a bit of classical with a charlotte mason flair, as well.  Well for 7th I'm just going completely eclectic and not following any style but my daughters learnig style.  Going to use Sonlight pk4 for my son who will be 3, so going back to a packaged curriculum for the younger grades.  I don't know what I'm going to do the following year.

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes we have changed & I expect us to continue to change as the need arises to do so.

coala
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Currently we are using Abeka's DVD program.  It is working great for one of my girls.  The 2nd child starts next week.  We may have to pull her from the DVD program and go a more traditonal route with her.  I don't think she is mature enough to handle it, but definately academically ready for it.  That is one of the awesome things about this.  You can pick and choose what will work for each child individually b/c they all are not built the same.

BramblePatch
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this
We started Charlotte Mason style and moved into Waldorf. Waldorf was a big fail so I went to a workbook style with Christian Liberty Press and it is perfect for us....right now, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vhx
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:49 PM

We've evolved over time. DD's interests, what works for her, what works for us, what changes in lifestyle dictate.

Started of being pretty straightforward school-at-home. Workbooks, formal schedules, etc. I was bored, DD was bored. One of the biggest reasons we took her out of school was boredom and lack of challenge, so I quickly realised school-at-home, while academically more challenging, wasn't going to work.

We moved toward a more eclectic method. I let her choose curriculum but kept "assignments" and grading and stuff. We focused more on projects and experiences. That worked really well for a year. And it wasn't that it particularly stopped working, we still have all the currirculum and stuff, and she still uses it, and we do lots of projects and exploration, but at her choosing. For about the past few months we've been pretty much "unschooling" and she is thriving. Personally, socially, emotionally, adacemically, she is thriving.

I think we're going to go to a fully "unschoolish" method when we move. No blocking out the morning for "school" or teacher-student dynamic.

Bethsunshine
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:11 AM

We started out using our state's cyber charter school and quickly found out it was too restrictive. That was four years ago. We now use an eclectic approach, using a variety of methods and curriculums, whatever works best. Currently, we use Essentials in Writing, Math U See, Apologia Science,All About Spelling, Progeny Press, and a Living History of our World.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Does your child have a learning disorder? Come join us!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118063/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)