Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Could a child really hate learning??? venting

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:40 PM
  • 21 Replies
2 moms liked this

I have home schooled a few years and love it for my family.  I see first hand how and what my kids learn and I wouldn't change things ever.  :-) 

My kids play soccer with a family whose oldest daughter has been having problems in school.  It was to the point where they removed her from public school and put her in a private school mid year.  Her daughter's situation was awful and I think most parents would remove their child from the school. 

I am pretty good friends with her, so I let her know that my kids love learning most things.  They are generally curious and want to learn about things around them.  I don't bribe them, don't have a chore or sticker chart.... I usually just ask them to study.  Math is one of the things they don't love, but eventually they laugh during our lessons and seem to have a fun time.  I told her that often when my kids try new things it looks like goofing off, but that is their way of trying new things, usually in a silly way.   Eventually they learn that it does work, it doesn't work or they learn to try things in another way all together. 

The mom told me over and over she couldn't home school because her kids HATE learning.  Most of the Moms questions are centered around things like, how do I get my kids to sit down and learn?  How do I know they are learning and not goofing off?  I think we just don't get each other.  I don't understand someone can hate learning and she doesn't understand how they can love it.  I really try not to be judgemental, but it is hard to keep things to myself, so I am venting to y'all.   If my kids HATED learning, I would move heaven and earth to CHANGE things.... find another way. 

by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:53 PM
2 moms liked this
I know where you are coming from. I wasn't this way all the time though. I have since found that a child can hate learning. BUT......
It's because they are Not being challenged enough nor aret hey being taught anything interestingly enough. Thinking outside the box is just as important as following the rules. Most public/private school teachers have been made to follow the rules for so long that they have forgotten how to think outside the box anymore.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM
4 moms liked this

Most people confuse hating SCHOOL with hating LEARNING. I too would never settle fr either

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:13 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't believe any child truly hates learning I think they hate the way learning happens in schools & they hate being made to learn things that they have no intrest in. My children balk at lessons, textbooks, workbooks & anything else that resembles "SCHOOLWORK" but they love to use the computer, play with their legos, be read to or read to themselves, do science experiments, cook/bake, play games (video or board games & they are always making up games) & many many other things. I believe that they are learning from all of those things & more. Your friend has no clue what true learning looks like because if she did she would see it every time she saw her kids doing anything. 

JulieBrown
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I completely agree with all of you....

My friend always comments how smart my kids are.... I tell her that I think my kids are just as smart as hers.  She doesn't see that her kids are bright, happy kids starving to learn something interesting.  

I love usmom3's quote!

Quoting usmom3:

Your friend has no clue what true learning looks like because if she did she would see it every time she saw her kids doing anything. 

romacox
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I love the OP and comments.  It is so true.  Children lave a natural desire to learn, and part of our jobs is to retain that natural desire.  Most home educated children have a love for learning throughtout their whole life. 

Bethsunshine
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Sometimes, I feel like I'm doing something wrong, because schoolwork seems like such a battle at times.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Does your child have a learning disorder? Come join us!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118063/

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I think there are always certain subjects or things that kids will resist. I think we as parents tend to focus on what they are resisting not what they are complying with, you know?

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Sometimes, I feel like I'm doing something wrong, because schoolwork seems like such a battle at times.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jak3739
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:11 AM

With my oldest, school is a continual battle.  She would sit for hours and listen to me read about history or science, but to get her to do her work is an uphill climb every day.  If left to her own devices I think that she would probably just live in a tent outside and never learn reading, math or writing. 

I think that it is her learning style but it is frustrating because it is so hard to get her to do her work and all I hear is that she hates school and doesn't want to learn anything.

My son will just sit on my lap and do workbook after workbook and project after project.  I can see him passing her in reading even though he is  years younger because he is so eager to learn.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a difficult learner.

Jessica45
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:23 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't think the child hates learning, I think there is an underlining issue. When I was growing up my grades were horrible and I claimed to hate school and learning and my teachers said I was lazy. Honestly I love learning, it's the reason I ended up with 2 college degrees. The problem was the method of the teaching at school. I didn't understand the teacher. I had trouble learning from lectures and reading. I needed to learn with a more hands on approach which wasn't done. So it wasn't learning I hated it was the method they were using to teach. Even boring subjects that kids don't like or have an interest in can be made fun. Sometimes you just need to be creative about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Jessica45 said:  "The problem was the method of teaching" You hit the nail on the head.   We tend  to teach the way we like to learn, and that is not the way all children learn.  45% of people learn with the Conventional Method (workbooks, lectures...it is left brain teaching), but that leaves 55% of the kids out.  This article explains the different learning styles

But I have found that by teaching to left and right brain (whole brain), I can reach all the learning styles at one time, and even many children  with learning disabilities.  Physically involving the children in the learning process (games and real life experiences are visual, auditory  and hands on) is whole brain teaching.  Studies show that children learn faster, retain more, stress is reduced, they retain their love for learning, and it costs less too. 

Quoting Jessica45:

I don't think the child hates learning, I think there is an underlining issue. When I was growing up my grades were horrible and I claimed to hate school and learning and my teachers said I was lazy. Honestly I love learning, it's the reason I ended up with 2 college degrees. The problem was the method of the teaching at school. I didn't understand the teacher. I had trouble learning from lectures and reading. I needed to learn with a more hands on approach which wasn't done. So it wasn't learning I hated it was the method they were using to teach. Even boring subjects that kids don't like or have an interest in can be made fun. Sometimes you just need to be creative about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN