Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling and Disipline

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:08 PM
  • 27 Replies

I am a homeschooling mom to twins Joe and Laken and have all of their lives, Looking for advice from other mom on how the handle punishment for not doing home work assignments.

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaoftwo
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

my kids don't have homework assignments, they do their assigned work at the table.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:59 PM

We do a behavior bucks system - http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/2012/04/behavior-bucks.html?m=1

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 31, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Hi Amberlynn. Welcome to the group! :)

Have you tried a reward system? For example...

Set down a rule about chores and for every certain set of days or weeks that they do without a whole lot of fussing, they get a reward? Do the same thing with their schoolwork. For every day or every week that school is done without you having to repeat constantly to get school accomplished, they get a reward?

The reason that we moms feel things so much is because we feel with our emotions. If we could have a balance of that along with a more laid back approach, we could accomplish sooo much more than we already do without even breathing hard. :)

Quoting Amberlynn02:

I am a homeschooling mom to twins Joe and Laken and have all of their lives, Looking for advice from other mom on how the handle punishment for not doing home work assignments.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:09 PM
2 moms liked this

We don't (punish for not doing school work). Natural consequence - if it isn't done, failing grade or the work has to be made up the next day (which will make for a double load in whatever subject didn't get done.

This isn't school. This is home. I'm not their teacher, I'm their mom... their mom who happens to teach them. I'm not trying to emulate a school environment so I'm not going to hand out punishments for a bad day.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

maggiemom2000
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids don't get punished for not completing assignments. We have a system where they earn free computer time for the day by completing chores and schoolwork. If something is not completed they get less computer time. This almost never happens unless my one son decides to get really stubborn, throw a fit.

I try to really avoid assignments that seem like busy work. I try and give them things that will be as interesting and meaningful as possible. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I punish them for ill treatment of others and disobedience.  I would never punish them for not doing an assignment.  When it comes to school work they have a lot on internal motivation.  If they don't like what we are doing then they are free to change it.  I follow their interests.  When it comes to classes they take they know when they chose a class then they need to complete it.  Their classes are there choosing so they have an internal desire to complete it each time.  I work on creating a desire and an interest.  If you have make a child do an assignment then the benefit has vanished.  

Kerseygeek
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this
These all sound like good ideas until you have a child like mine who doesn't respond to anything. We have tried punishments like taking away tv, DS, & such, it doesn't work. We've tried rewards with things he really likes or wants. We've tried being logical, which he will show that he understands completely. I have changed my teaching style to match how I feel he learns more than once. However, no matter what I do I can't make him complete work he doesn't want to do even if it's a subject he likes. He would rather do nothing but talk all day rather than write but as great as that is I need to have some concrete work from him. I also believe that just because you can discuss something doesn't mean you could pass a test on it & at some point they will be required to do that. Sorry to seem to hijack this thread a little but in case the OP has a similar problem I'd like to hear some other ideas.
JDsmomma07
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Kerseygeek:

These all sound like good ideas until you have a child like mine who doesn't respond to anything. We have tried punishments like taking away tv, DS, & such, it doesn't work. We've tried rewards with things he really likes or wants. We've tried being logical, which he will show that he understands completely. I have changed my teaching style to match how I feel he learns more than once. However, no matter what I do I can't make him complete work he doesn't want to do even if it's a subject he likes. He would rather do nothing but talk all day rather than write but as great as that is I need to have some concrete work from him. I also believe that just because you can discuss something doesn't mean you could pass a test on it & at some point they will be required to do that. Sorry to seem to hijack this thread a little but in case the OP has a similar problem I'd like to hear some other ideas.

Maybe have your son pick out his own pencil/pen to write with ? Have him create his own writing journal? Maybe have  him draw something out of a hat and that is what he's required to write that day (5 sentences, 2 paragraphs,   15 minutes of writing, specific topic?).      

Kerseygeek
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:02 PM
My son would have no interest in picking out his own pencil or decorating his journal. He may do it but it won't get him to write. Getting him to write just one paragraph can take all day. He just hates to do it no matter the topic or setting. He can seem thoroughly excited about a subject/topic but will come to a halt once we get to writing.
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:18 PM
It would depend on their age and why they didn't do the assignment. If they are just not doing it because they don't want to and I've asked several times then it becomes disobedience and that calls for a spanking.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)