Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Just getting started...

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 6:36 PM
  • 13 Replies

DD is only 2 right now but she already knows so much that I'm already trying to get as much info as I can and get as ready as I can for homeschooling. There's still a chance that she'll go to public school but if at all possible I'd rather homeschool. I live in Oklahoma and from I've read and researched OK is pretty unstructured with their laws on homeschooling, so I'm a little overwhelmed with all the possibilities. I was looking at some materials while at Mardel today and the prices seem high, but idk what kind of prices to expect. So can I get any advice from experienced mamas? Where should I shop, how do you organize/give grades or feedback/plan, do you use a traditional school year or year-round, etc? Thank you for any help!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 31, 2012 at 8:56 PM

When my kiddos where under grade 2 I hardly purchased anything. I used lapbooking and www.letteroftheweek.com

mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

When my kiddos where under grade 2 I hardly purchased anything. I used lapbooking and www.letteroftheweek.com

Thanks, I will check out that website! And what is lapbooking? 

CafeMom Tickers
AprilRayann
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

what is Lapbooking? i have looked at letterof theweek.com. i like that.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 31, 2012 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Lap booking is kinda like educational scrapbooking. We have used it for years. Essentially you take a topic...like the numbers 1-10, and you can do little booklets with poems or songs, practice writing sheets, drawings...the sky is the limit. One of my favorite resources is http://www.homeschoolshare.com/Lapbooks_at_HSS.php which is chock full of free lapbooks. Lapbooks are way more visually stimulating than worksheets but can contain similar information.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with others.  Especially in the younger years, it is easy to create your own lessons.  When I do purchase curriculum, I look for curriculum/ games that are created by home educators.  They understand that home school is not the classroom.

P.S. Here is a website that explains the different Methods used by Home Educators, grade level requirements, how to create your own lesson plans, and more..

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM

The child led learning or unschooling method is great for all children but especially younger children!

ablessedlife
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:46 PM
I agree with the others. You can sing number-songs and count macaroni into groups of ten, then count by tens, play matching games, learn about the senses by using the senses, cut and glue collages on a topic, etc. The possibilities are endless at this stage.
AprilRayann
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:08 PM

right now im using education.com. next year i will order curriculum from christian light education. in another reply to here there was some info for legal help should any arise. ive read about some horror story of ppl homeschooling and being charged with truancy issues. texas is also very lenient . good luck and 2 is a precious age!!!

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Hello welcome to home schooling just take her books and go from there her work that is do make it do in home school. What grade is she in? What ever her teacher was working on work on it at home.

http://www.oklahomahomeschool.com/

www.ehow.com/video_4871952_make-printable-invitations.html

pinterest.com/terryinalberta/home-school-printables

www.ehow.com/how_2142018_free-homeschool-curriculum.html

moneysavingqueen.com/December-2010/FREE-Oklahoma-Home...

www.ehow.com/how_4806229_homeschool-lesson-plans

Please try the library!!

mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Thank you all for the ideas and websites!
CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)