Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are some ways you can or do pay it forward?

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:15 PM
  • 10 Replies
Do you go out of your way to do nice things? What are some ideas for paying it forward?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Someone mentioned paying for the car behind you at a coffee place or drive thru.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ablessedlife
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Today (New Years Day), the boys and i put on our best clothes, that means the boys wore white shirts and ties and black dress pants, and we took our instruments and played Christmas music at a local seniors home. These people were SO HAPPY about our visit, they were blessed and they blessed us, too. I am so thankful that we made the effort to go.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:43 AM
I don't know if it is really "pay it forward"....but no matter how broke we are I try to take soup to the homeless shelter every month. it really is fulfilling.

We do lots of community service and I've bought someone's coffee before. Just do what you feel is right and the good karma comes back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnt-manda
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:58 AM
My dh always gives the guy at the gas station or whoever is working on the holiday 5.00 to pay for their lunch. many have to work holidays...it is a small gesture to lift there spirits and let them know we appreciate it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:10 AM

We can't pay tolls for people behind us on the toll road, but we certainly have tried.  We had someone approach while we were out to lunch in early December and my SO gave her $50.  He was really moved to give her that much.  He seems to be really in touch with things and has NEVER done that before.

I would love to find a place near home to volunteer and get my kids involved.  We did some volunteering for a food bank at Thanksgiving and didn't have time to squeeze it in on Christmas Eve. (We really really tried and the day and over extending ourselves got in the way).

awilliams77
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:54 PM
I use coupons, and can often get items for free or very low cost. Every few months I (and my oldest daughter who is 22 and on her own) take a bag of goods to the women and children's shelter. I was also able to give several bags of groceries for the drive for the local food bank last fall.
I am on a list called free cycle, and last year someone posted that their family needed food. I met them in a parking lot and gave them an assortment of extras from our freezer and pantry.
When I clip my coupons for my shopping list, I also cl the restaurant coupons to give out at work. I don't eat out much, but my employees do, and love getting $4 off two meals at Red Lobster, Olive Garden, or what have you.
I guess my paying it forward is with coupons, not actual cash, huh?
Boobah
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Its all the same to me! I would appreciate all those gestures. :)

Quoting awilliams77:

I use coupons, and can often get items for free or very low cost. Every few months I (and my oldest daughter who is 22 and on her own) take a bag of goods to the women and children's shelter. I was also able to give several bags of groceries for the drive for the local food bank last fall.

I am on a list called free cycle, and last year someone posted that their family needed food. I met them in a parking lot and gave them an assortment of extras from our freezer and pantry.

When I clip my coupons for my shopping list, I also cl the restaurant coupons to give out at work. I don't eat out much, but my employees do, and love getting $4 off two meals at Red Lobster, Olive Garden, or what have you.

I guess my paying it forward is with coupons, not actual cash, huh?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I always try to help people in the store when I see that they are needing to reach for something or can't find what they are looking for. Sometimes I will go out of my way to ask them if they need or want help & other times they ask me & I make sure to let it be known that I don't mind helping them out. I believe that it makes people feel good to have others help them joyfully.

amandae21
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM

In the drive-thru, pay for the person behind you. We try to do this every Sunday... we hit Taco Bell after church.

srichtermom
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM

We try to do as much as we can especially with the kids too.  We currently work at the local food pantry 2x per month and next month are volunteering at Feed My Starving Children for the first time.  My dd is so excited!!  She is always trying to find new ways to help people.  Her new project is making bags for our friend to take to the orphans on her upcoming trip to Haiti.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)