Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If you have an *active* child to teach...

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM
  • 13 Replies
4 moms liked this

Do your lessons look like this?

Me: Okay, Cole, stretch all the way up. Get those arms tight! What's a noun?

Cole, stretching and tongue out: It's, it's, it's A PLACE, A PERSON OR A THIIIINNNG!

We have *high five, up high* several times while Cole is stretching to the max.

Me: Okay! Touch your toes! Get your bum up! Touch your toes! What's an adjective?

Cole, hopping around bent over: IT DESCRIBES THE THING...THE NOUN!

*more high five-ing (down low this time) and jumping around*

Me: Touch your nose with both fingers! What's a verb?

*insert me telling him to get his fingers out of his nose, and his wild giggling. The rest of this part is done with him squeezing his nose shut with a finger on each nostril so he talks weird*

We did hands behind the head, elbows stretched out for adverbs. Then I made sentences that he acted out while answering which words were which parts of speech.

This is how Cole has to learn. He had just sat and done some writing work (10 mins) and if I wanted to hold his attention, I had to be creative. Now, we are on break, before hitting Math. Then, on to lunch, and then Science.

I wanted to show others with a child like Cole how we go about teaching him. LOL Maybe it will help inspire others.

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
ROTFLOL!!!!!! Similar scenarios like this play out in my house a lot! See....there's always a way to facilitate learning. Always! If one thing doesn't work, just find another. :)
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM

hahahahahahaha ~ That is soooooo adorable!!!!!!  I love your day!  :)

coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Sounds amazing.  I will have to try a few of these as my littlest is just starting and my goodness can she not be still for 2 seconds.  She did beautifully for the first 1 1/2 hours.   She wanted to do more so we continued.  I had to give her a break 10 mins in to get her wiggles out.  She finished with some fidgeting and not keeping the bum in the seat much.  She did wonderful.  The next few weeks are going to be interesting.

mem it sounds like you have found ways to get your kids to learn even when they have a ton of energy.  I hope I have the patience to do this w/o needing an adult beverage by the end of the day with this one.  LOL

sithmama
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:45 PM

YES that is what it's like with my 5 year old. It's maddening at times because she can get so much done when she tries. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:59 PM
*omg I will edit my title typo when I'm on the computer lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Yes but more moving lesson plan is moving if ?I read a book and the book said walked they got up and walked but I do like yours as well. What grade is Cole in?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:06 PM
2nd, grade. He will be 8 on Friday.

Quoting motheroffour186:

Yes but more moving lesson plan is moving if ?I read a book and the book said walked they got up and walked but I do like yours as well. What grade is Cole in?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mem82:

Quoting motheroffour186:

Okay I make my curriculum like this starting first grade that will help thank you because we thing is not going to be on paper but the test for my youngest boy so that is going to be different. So thank you.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Glad I could help.

Quoting motheroffour186:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting motheroffour186:

Okay I make my curriculum like this starting first grade that will help thank you because we thing is not going to be on paper but the test for my youngest boy so that is going to be different. So thank you.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:23 PM

dealiong with my active 6 yr old trying to do his math, I don't give him many worksheets, but when I do he is all over the place.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)