Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What everyday life skills should I be teaching?

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM
  • 19 Replies
I'm just wondering if anyone pays attention to these things or what your child can/can't do at a certain age. I just started thinking my fourth grader and first grader both do not know how to tie their own shoes. (mind you I don't think either of them have shoes with laces) I know I have to get that accomplished this year. Mostly they are pretty independent in most things...just got me thinking, have you forgotten, missed or at what age do you teach things like that??

I also have to teach my first grader his phone#, address, and all just have'nt given it much thought till now. Any suggestions?What else should they need to know skill wise? (not academically)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM
2 moms liked this
Cooking, cleaning, laundry, helping out with siblings, gardening, fixing things, knitting (these are just ideas and things we are working on)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Life skills are learned everyday in our home!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM
3 moms liked this

counting money

tnt-manda
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:11 PM
So far they can do all these (except for knitting-there all boys.) Good. Maybe Im not as behind in this area as thought
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:42 PM
3 moms liked this

This one is very important.  They need to know how to count REAL money.  It means nothing if it is on a worksheet.  I was a restaurant manager for years.  I cannot believe how many college bound honor roll students couldn't make change. 

Quoting mem82:

counting money

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:47 PM
3 moms liked this

Also general organization and independence.  It may sound ridiculous but so many intelligent kids can't handle a job because they were never taught these basic skills. 

tnt-manda
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:21 AM
That's so true, they know how to count money, but probably could work more on the life application part of making change, thanks I'll def make a game out of this.

Quoting irvinehiker:

This one is very important.  They need to know how to count REAL money.  It means nothing if it is on a worksheet.  I was a restaurant manager for years.  I cannot believe how many college bound honor roll students couldn't make change. 

Quoting mem82:

counting money

mary8801
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Learning about money is a very important life skill and it coincides with math so it's a win-win.

coala
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Just everyday things that make a home "run smoothly", and things about life.  How to make grocery lists, budgets, how to shop and save at the same time, meal plan.  This stuff isn't just for girls....boys should know how to do this as well.  They should also learn how to do basic home repairs.  We will be teaching our girls how to do some minor car repairs as they get a little older.  They will watch Daddy and I do some tire rotations in a few months and then I will take my car in for an alignment (b/c I don't have the equipment to handle that job).

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Cleaning can be done from age 2/3 up.

Cooking can be done from age 5/6 up.

Laundry age 9/10.

Those are what I teach my children, adding harder and more things under each category as they grow.  If they wish to learn something else, they ask and I help.  When things break, they watch to learn how to take care of them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)